GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kindly rate my profile for ISB

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Kindly rate my profile for ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 20:39
Hi,

It would be great if someone can help in evaluating my profile.
Have written the GMAT once in June 2018.
My GMAT score:740 (Q50 V40)

Academics:
Studied in BIT. Btech in Civil. GPA of 7.96/10
10th : 92.4 %
12th: 81.2%

I am 25 years male. Working in State bank of India as Deputy Manager in area of Commercial credit, documentary credit and foreign exchange.
Have 3.5 years working experience and in this period have got one promotion and consistently been rated AAA(highest) in my annual appraisals.
Have worked on lending in various sectors like manufacturing (papers industry, textile industry, food processing industry etc) as well as trading sectors. Along with this I handle entire Foreign Exchange business of a Catergory B branch (Highest level in standalone level) in FOREX.
I have also completed 6 certifications from NISM_SEBI in field of Currency derivatives, equity derivatives, interest derivatives, Investment adviser, Security markets as well as 5 different certifications from IIBF pertaining to commercial lending, AML_KYC, Documentary Credit, Foreign Exchange, SME etc.
Will be appearing CFA Level 1 in december 2018.

What are the chances of getting through ISB for Round 1 this year?
Please advise.

Thanks,
Kishlay
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Kindly rate my profile for ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 21:03
Hello kishlaykirty

ISB will evaluate your candidature based on 6 admission factors mentioned here
1. Academic potential is good looking at your past scores and high GMAT score. So that checks the box.
2. Your work ex is certainly different from an average applicant. However it will help further if you can showcase career progress & key achievements. ISB is more interested in your story. Strong ratings are definitely a plus, but these are results of your contribution/impact on the business. Bring out these contributions.
3. Diversity- The very first essay this year clearly asks about diversity. Diversity comes from Academic background, Industry, Role and Extracurricular. While your professional background adds some diversity to your profile, it will help to know your extracurricular too. They make you a stronger candidate.
4. Career Goals- This is by far the most critical piece of the admissions puzzle. What are your future career goals and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to reach these goals? Unfortunately you have not mentioned this. In fact the second essay directly asks this. You could supplement your research by reading on Career Goals after an MBA here.
All in all you seem to be strong on Acads & Work ex. But info on Diversity and Career Goals is missing. If you can tie all four together strongly in your written application, you have a fighting chance at ISB.
Should you feel the need to discuss your profile further, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

kishlaykirty wrote:
Hi,

Academics:

I am 25 years male. Working in State bank of India as Deputy Manager in area of Commercial credit, documentary credit and foreign exchange.
Have 3.5 years working experience and in this period have got one promotion and consistently been rated AAA(highest) in my annual appraisals.
Have worked on lending in various sectors like manufacturing (papers industry, textile industry, food processing industry etc) as well as trading sectors. Along with this I handle entire Foreign Exchange business of a Catergory B branch (Highest level in standalone level) in FOREX.
I have also completed 6 certifications from NISM_SEBI in field of Currency derivatives, equity derivatives, interest derivatives, Investment adviser, Security markets as well as 5 different certifications from IIBF pertaining to commercial lending, AML_KYC, Documentary Credit, Foreign Exchange, SME etc.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Kishlay

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 00:16
kishlaykirty wrote:
Hi,

Academics:

Please advise.

Thanks,
Kishlay

Hello kishlaykirty,

Thanks for posting your query.

First things first, you have a very fine GMAT score and this will certainly give you an edge in comparison to the remaining applicant pool. Of course, this is not the only thing that ISB will be looking at but it is an important element anyway :-)
To add to the above, you have work experience that is a bit differentiated and you have mentioned career progress - all good stuff for your application :-) Of course, you haven't mentioned extra-curricular activities at all.

We would recommend that you apply to ISB in R1. Your chances of getting an interview call are high, provided you spend good time and effort on your essays, particularly on presenting your need for an MBA and how the same will help you achieve your career goals, in a coherent and logical manner. A sync among your experience, short-term goals, and long-term aspirations is strongly desired if you want to put in place an impactful application.

Should you need to discuss the above in greater detail, feel free to get in touch with us.

All the best! :-)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 03:45
kishlaykirty wrote:
Hi,

Academics:

Please advise.

Thanks,
Kishlay

Kishlay,

You are obviously an achiever, and that's a great trait to possess for MBA applications.
Build up on your noteworthy leadership experience and achievements in the ISB application. Use your public sector bank experience to differentiate yourself from other applicants with similar profiles. Also make use of the diversity in your experience.
Finance is not ISB's strong suit, so be sure that what you write as your career goals comes across as a feasible option after ISB.
You should apply in R1 - you already have a GMAT score and you have ample time to build an outstanding application. Reach out should you need any help.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

We are accepting applicants for mid-October/November deadlines

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 06:56
Hi kishlaykirty, yours is a tricky profile. State bank of India is a complete change in your educational qualificaton as a Civil Engineer. While you've not mentioned your post-MBA goals, I am assuming the goals would be related to becoming a Finance Professional.

I don't get any sense of whether your job responsibilities have anything to do with derivatives. The reason I am curious, is because most of your certifications are in derivatives, while my understanding (from what you've stated) is that derivatives have minimal/no role to play in your current job.

That being the case, you've perhaps done these certifications to further your knowledge in Finance. So, while these certifications rightly convey your intent, they are obviously not a part of your job-profile.

So, articulation would be crucial in your essays.

http://www.ISBeacon.com

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB

VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 22:00
Top Contributor
kishlaykirty wrote:
Hi,

Academics:

Please advise.

Thanks,
Kishlay

Hi Kishlay

- Judging only from an admissions perspective, you should have a good chance of making it given your GMAT score, work experience, and academic performance.
- Your goals and differentiation will be key here. Please do provide more information on the goals part - why do you want an MBA and what do you want to do after graduating from ISB?

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kindly rate my profile for ISB &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2018, 22:00

Kindly rate my profile for ISB

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap