GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Less than 2 years of Experience but a good profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Less than 2 years of Experience but a good profile   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 05:17
I am a female who did mechanical engineering in one of the good colleges in India (again not the IIT or NIT)
I have a 9.3 overall Cgpa and worked as a Supply Chain Analyst at Ford India - 20 months work experience
I quit job last April to look for MBA options in India. However I could not succeed.
I also did a few consulting for the start ups in the mean time, I had a start up venture in college which I did not continue later.
Kindly guide me for MBA colleges. I am looking for Entrepreneurship post some years of MBA. And I desperately need to apply in the current third round to get into September intake.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Re: Less than 2 years of Experience but a good profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 07:15
Hi Unnathi,

GMAT –GMAT is the first step in your application process and one of the most important commodity for applying any B Schools for an MBA. Please specify your GMAT score with both the splits(Verbal and Quant).

Work Experience – Though your work experience is on the lower side, it looks like you have diverse work culture in your 20 months of a full-time career in the supply chain industry at Ford INDIA. It is important to not just reiterate the job profile that you have. It is imperative to showcase the achievements and the awesome things that you have done, the initiatives you have taken, the awards you have received etc. You can also mention your consultant work with the startups, which can add more value to your essay to the B School in seeking an interview invite or admit. But it is strongly recommended to have a minimum of 2 years full-time work ex, which will open the gate the eligibility in applying for any B School for an MBA program.

Education – You have got a good CGPA. It would be helpful to mention your standing in your batch if your CGPA is not on a scale of 10. You can also mention your startup venture to impress the Adcom.
Extra Curricular – This section tells the ADCOM about your overall personality and helps them relate to a person instead of a resume. Make sure that you bring out your hobbies, voluntary work and achievements outside work in this area. It would be helpful if you can tell us more about your extracurricular activities.
Essays: This is the section of the application that is in your control and typically carries a lot of weight in the final decision. You need to ensure that you chose the right stories for the questions asked and differentiate yourself from the rest not only in the stories but also in the way you present them.

Since there is a lot of information missing out, it is hard to predict your chances for B School with information provided.
Finally, we could help you in a better way if you can answer the following questions.

1. What is your GMAT score?
2. Are you targeting 1year or 2year programs?
3. Do you have any specific geography in mind?

You can also try our unique tool to know the "Chances for B Schools" which better suits your profile.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 20:37
Unnathi wrote:
I am a female who did mechanical engineering in one of the good colleges in India (again not the IIT or NIT)
I have a 9.3 overall Cgpa and worked as a Supply Chain Analyst at Ford India - 20 months work experience
I quit job last April to look for MBA options in India. However I could not succeed.
I also did a few consulting for the start ups in the mean time, I had a start up venture in college which I did not continue later.
Kindly guide me for MBA colleges. I am looking for Entrepreneurship post some years of MBA. And I desperately need to apply in the current third round to get into September intake.

Hello Unnathi,

Thanks for writing in.

The CGPA, work at Ford, as well the start-up experience will add value to your profile. However, your post is missing a number of crucial details such as the GMAT score, achievements at work, extra-curricular activities, and career goals.

Your chance at any school will be dependent on the coming together of all of the above, and more importantly, how you present the same through your essays.

For a detailed evaluation, kindly share the aforesaid details with us.

Thank you.
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 20:59
Unnathi unless you're looking at lower ranked schools, Round 3 is really going to be difficult for an Indian. Maybe you're not aware that the acceptance rate goes way down in round 3 and especially for over represented applicants. I would encourage you to focus on January term European schools Where you would be in the second round. https://mbaessaycoaching.com/top-program-deadlines/ Most European schools are not very keen on low work experience but if you have a decent gmat they might overlook it. Would you be open to an MIM?

As I'm sure you might now be aware it was kind of a big mistake to quit your job because this gap makes you look risky to career services. I would honestly encourage you to get a job So that you will have a better chance of getting an acceptance… and you will have something to go to if that doesn't materialize for Sept. It will give you time to improve your WE and EC and possibly GMAT profile to strive for a top school.

Unnathi wrote:

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 21:05
ABatExpertsGlobal wrote:
Unnathi wrote:

Hello Unnathi,

Thanks for writing in.

The CGPA, work at Ford, as well the start-up experience will add value to your profile. However, your post is missing a number of crucial details such as the GMAT score, achievements at work, extra-curricular activities, and career goals.

Your chance at any school will be dependent on the coming together of all of the above, and more importantly, how you present the same through your essays.

For a detailed evaluation, kindly share the aforesaid details with us.

Thank you.
Thank you so much for your response. I am giving gmat only by next week. Expecting a score above 680. I realised the deadlines are nearer, so planning to start college applications parallely. Do you suggest Mim or mem?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 21:09
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Unnathi unless you're looking at lower ranked schools, Round 3 is really going to be difficult for an Indian. Maybe you're not aware that the acceptance rate goes way down in round 3 and especially for over represented applicants. I would encourage you to focus on January term European schools Where you would be in the second round. https://mbaessaycoaching.com/top-program-deadlines/ Most European schools are not very keen on low work experience but if you have a decent gmat they might overlook it. Would you be open to an MIM?

As I'm sure you might now be aware it was kind of a big mistake to quit your job because this gap makes you look risky to career services. I would honestly encourage you to get a job So that you will have a better chance of getting an acceptance… and you will have something to go to if that doesn't materialize for Sept. It will give you time to improve your WE and EC and possibly GMAT profile to strive for a top school.

Unnathi wrote:

Thank you Mam for your speedy response. I am OKay for Mim considering if I take up a job now, I will overshoot the mim criteria of less than 2 years experience, given for most schools. Do you suggest any 1 year courses or two years? Given my knowledge in business is very less or negligible. In India one year courses are only for people who have 6+ years experience and business knowledge. Rest are given 2 year courses. Please suggest any Mim or MBA which I can apply either this Sept or for Jan. My concern is I need an admit within this March or April so I can give confidence at home. They are looking for marriage and I need to give them some solution on my academics.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 21:17
GeneralEducation wrote:
Hi Unnathi,

GMAT –GMAT is the first step in your application process and one of the most important commodity for applying any B Schools for an MBA. Please specify your GMAT score with both the splits(Verbal and Quant).

Work Experience – Though your work experience is on the lower side, it looks like you have diverse work culture in your 20 months of a full-time career in the supply chain industry at Ford INDIA. It is important to not just reiterate the job profile that you have. It is imperative to showcase the achievements and the awesome things that you have done, the initiatives you have taken, the awards you have received etc. You can also mention your consultant work with the startups, which can add more value to your essay to the B School in seeking an interview invite or admit. But it is strongly recommended to have a minimum of 2 years full-time work ex, which will open the gate the eligibility in applying for any B School for an MBA program.

Education – You have got a good CGPA. It would be helpful to mention your standing in your batch if your CGPA is not on a scale of 10. You can also mention your startup venture to impress the Adcom.
Extra Curricular – This section tells the ADCOM about your overall personality and helps them relate to a person instead of a resume. Make sure that you bring out your hobbies, voluntary work and achievements outside work in this area. It would be helpful if you can tell us more about your extracurricular activities.
Essays: This is the section of the application that is in your control and typically carries a lot of weight in the final decision. You need to ensure that you chose the right stories for the questions asked and differentiate yourself from the rest not only in the stories but also in the way you present them.

Since there is a lot of information missing out, it is hard to predict your chances for B School with information provided.
Finally, we could help you in a better way if you can answer the following questions.

You can also try our unique tool to know the "Chances for B Schools" which better suits your profile.
Thank you for your response and clear points. I am giving my gmat next week. As deadlines are approaching I decided to start a few applications parallely. I am expecting a score above 680.
I have no much business knowledge, though I prefer one year MBAs will it add equal value to my resume and knowledge? As in India we are not allowed to take one year mba until we are experienced in business related fields for 6+ years. However I prefer one year MBA programme. Kindly suggest if I can get any, or should I not try at all and wait for Jan intake?

SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 05:30
Unnathi wrote:

Hi Unnathi,

European b-schools have many MiM options. go through the Financial times rankings to get a list of those programs. That would be a good place to start your research.

check this: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... ement-2018

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 04:05
Unnathi wrote:
GeneralEducation wrote:
Hi Unnathi,

Thank you for your response and clear points. I am giving my gmat next week. As deadlines are approaching I decided to start a few applications parallely. I am expecting a score above 680.
I have no much business knowledge, though I prefer one year MBAs will it add equal value to my resume and knowledge? As in India we are not allowed to take one year mba until we are experienced in business related fields for 6+ years. However I prefer one year MBA programme. Kindly suggest if I can get any, or should I not try at all and wait for Jan intake?

Well, all the best for your GMAT preparation. Do let us know if you would be looking for any assistance in GMAT preparation. We have experts consultants from top B-Schools who have helped our candidates in excelling the GMAT and have themselves achieved a high score in it.

It is good to know that you are updated with the B-Schools deadlines and parallelly working on MBA application. We would be happy to provide any guidance in case you need it.

It is not mandatory to have Business knowledge to apply for MBA. You can look at ISB, which is one of the best MBA School and ranks 24 in Global MBA Ranking according to Financial Times. One year MBA at ISB is the best one year MBA program in the country. ISB has two amazing campuses, world-class faculty and infrastructure, diverse student group, decent number of foreign students, great placements and not so exorbitant fees as compared to some other B-Schools outside India. We would suggest you have an average work experience of 4+ years as it would give you more time to build your profile and focus on quality performance, which would reward you with good recommendation and achievements. Also, in the mean-time focus on extracurricular activities to build your profile even more so that you can stand out exceptionally in the applications received by ADCOM.

Kindly get in touch with us after you give GMAT and we can help you with your Application Assistance for MBA.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 02:57
Unnathi wrote:

Hi there,

If you are still looking to apply this year, you can find a list of late deadlines for for September 2019 / January 2020 here: https://aringo.com/low-season-deadlines/

If you are interested in programs that specialize in Entrepreneurship, consider Babson, MIT, Stanford Haas, and take a look here for more info: https://aringo.com/mba-entrepreneurship-specialization/

Good luck!

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 06:04
Thank you for the responses. Here is my current state - 610 in GMAT v25 Q49 [was scoring 710 in mocks[official] not sure what happened in exam]
I applied to LBS and Imperial MIM, I received rejection from the latter. Not sure which colleges to apply, I do see a lot of deadlines are open yet. I haven't given IELTS as my entire education was in English, but considering Indian applicants most schools are demanding IELTS.
Kindly guide me if there is any possibility for 2019 intake: MIM, MEM, MBA - I am okay for anything!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Less than 2 years of Experience but a good profile   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2019, 06:04

Less than 2 years of Experience but a good profile

new topic post reply Update application status