GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

List of activities/organizations to showcase leadership

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
List of activities/organizations to showcase leadership [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2012, 20:39
All,

I don't think that I would get through any school this year, so was thinking of the organizations or clubs one can join to gain good leadership experience and showcase the same in applications. I just joined Toastmasters to improve public communication skills...

Here are a few that I could think of, any inputs welcome!

- Big brothers big sisters (http://www.bbbs.org)
- Toastmasters (http://www.toastmasters.org)

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Re: List of activities/organizations to showcase leadership [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2012, 22:46
What schools are you targeting? Please don't take this the wrong way, but Toastmasters and Big Brothers Big Sisters are such vanilla ECs and won't do anything to differentiate you from the competition. What are you interested in? What are your passions?

ravsg wrote:
All,

I don't think that I would get through any school this year, so was thinking of the organizations or clubs one can join to gain good leadership experience and showcase the same in applications. I just joined Toastmasters to improve public communication skills...

Here are a few that I could think of, any inputs welcome!

- Big brothers big sisters (http://www.bbbs.org)
- Toastmasters (http://www.toastmasters.org)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2012, 23:20
thanks for the reply.
i am looking at schools mostly in the top 15. I am trying to figure out what else one can do to strengthen the application, would have almost 8-9mnths before trying again...

appreciate your help!

Posted from my mobile device

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2012, 18:46
Have you considered volunteering abroad? It's not a replacement for local, long-term ECs, but it does add international experience to your profile. Plus, it's a great way to show you are a compassionate human being who has the initiative to go to a third world country to help people who are desperately in need.

ravsg wrote:
thanks for the reply.
i am looking at schools mostly in the top 15. I am trying to figure out what else one can do to strengthen the application, would have almost 8-9mnths before trying again...

appreciate your help!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2012, 06:29
I think it's key to have a clear career vision, then think of what ECs would show your passion/commitment for that vision, as well as plug any gaps in your story.

I also think what matters most is what results you create, more than what you do. The best EC is something that shows your commitment to your career goals, allows you to showcase some impressive achievements that you can parley into a nice story/example in your essays, and hopefully show off some leadership skills.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2012, 07:42
swbluedevil wrote:
What schools are you targeting? Please don't take this the wrong way, but Toastmasters and Big Brothers Big Sisters are such vanilla ECs and won't do anything to differentiate you from the competition. What are you interested in? What are your passions?

I don't think a blanket statement like this can be made. It's about the quality of involvement in ECs more than what the EC is itself. I don't think a person needs ECs that no one else does to differentiate themselves.

Get involved with ECs that you enjoy and you'll participate at a differentiated level. I've been a Big Sister for years and while I don't think that alone got me an admit, but I do think it added to the story that I was committed to being active in the community and would continue to do so on campus.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Feb 2012, 15:22
cheetarah1980 wrote:
swbluedevil wrote:

I don't think a blanket statement like this can be made. It's about the quality of involvement in ECs more than what the EC is itself. I don't think a person needs ECs that no one else does to differentiate themselves.

Get involved with ECs that you enjoy and you'll participate at a differentiated level. I've been a Big Sister for years and while I don't think that alone got me an admit, but I do think it added to the story that I was committed to being active in the community and would continue to do so on campus.

Actually, I'm pretty justified in making the statement I made. I never stated that you had to participate in an EC that no one else participated in. I simply suggested that the OP pursue less overly common activities than Big Brothers and Big Sisters and Toastmasters. I think you'll agree that differentiation and diversity are good things for an applicant, especially if the OP is from a very competitive applicant pool.

I think it's wonderful you've been a Big Sis for many years and congrats on your admit. I'm sure you were able to write some fantastic essays that showed impact. Unfortunately, assuming the OP does not get into any schools this year, he/she will be a reapplicant with ~7-8 months of involvement in two very common ECs. I think most (if not all) adcoms will see clearly that the OP joined those ECs simply to beef up their application. Furthermore, how many other applicants/reapplicants can (and will) join Big Brother/Big Sister, Toastmasters, Habitat for Humanity, etc right before they start applying?

And I think it's great for applicants to point to their participation in organizations to signal to adcoms that they'll be equally active on campus. I just believe it's more compelling for an applicant to have unique/less common ECs to signal to adcoms that they'll do more on campus than simply join the consulting club, marketing club, etc.

Originally posted by swbluedevil on 03 Feb 2012, 18:41.
Last edited by swbluedevil on 05 Feb 2012, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2012, 22:45
My point of view: You shouldn't join an organisation or take up an activity just to "improve your leadership skills". That won't work, and the adcom will most likely see through it. Find a group that appeals to you, and then look for ways you can help you. Take initiatives! If there's no group/ org. out there that's doing what you believe in, then start one.
If you want to switch careers, spend a lot of time connecting with people in your target industry and function. Try and land a short stint in your target industry before the MBA. Use the opportunity to prove to yourself (and to the adcom), that your post-MBA goals are viable.

MBA Gunner - My Blog on GMAT, MBA and other random quests i'm currently undertaking

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 03:15
Quickly speaking,
Leadership also comes in the initiatives one takes; of course the impact is way higher if one involved more people. Since these are initiatives outside of the strictly "necessary" specifications, oftentimes one can involve peers, and other people totally outside of one's range of influence. There is therefore no need for the "office management" or symbols of authority to get in the way

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Re: List of activities/organizations to showcase leadership   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 03:15

List of activities/organizations to showcase leadership

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap