Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Send PM
Re: Long study plan [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi klajdi,

maybe you should think of having some "Foundations" books right at the beginning. Today every publishing company (I am sure of Kaplan and Manhattan GMAT) have basix praparation workbooks, which aim to provide a good beginning for your GMAT studies. You should just pick a book for Quant, and another one for Verbal, and go through them. It is a good idea to pick the same publisher, whose books you aim to use afterwards in your general study.
I have got both from MGMAT and am currently studying the quant book. Will definitely write a short review in some weeks.

Regards,
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well.... i am usually against long study plans for the GMAT.

However, with studying English, you may want to study it for 6-12 months to get up to speed (don't study GMAT books - just work on English)

Then for the GMAT - spend 3-4 months. Don't take a long time to study the GMAT (intensity is better than time). Think of it as steak - you can have it slightly burned on intense heat with juicy middle instead of a cooked on a slow heat super chewy and dry.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I agree with the other posters. I am a native speaker, so my situation is somewhat different and I can fully understand you wanting to take more time to review English and become proficient.

That being said, however, I think 3-4 months of focused intensive study is what you should shoot for (in terms of GMAT-specific study, not just English as a whole).

I studied around 2-3 hours/weekday and 5-6 hours per weekend day for 4 months, and let me tell you, when you get to around week 13-16 of a regimen like that, it becomes very difficult to maintain focus and keep forward momentum. The first 6-8 weeks are great, and you can see big results and are pleased with your progress. But around week 10-11 you'll hit a serious plateau, likely in both areas of study (math/verbal). After that, it becomes a will-yourself-to-the-end grind in order to eke out even the smallest amount of improvement.

Combined with all the practice CATs, not to mention classes (if you're taking a class), your life BECOMES the GMAT. And I can't imagine that lasting for 12+ months.

I have heard some pretty crazy stories of applicants in China with absolutely insane work ethics in GMAT study, non-English speaking kids who study 3 hours a night for 4 straight years and end up rocking a 790 on the GMAT simply due to such an overwhelming body of work and time put in. Hats off to them - there's no way I could do that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
ebonn101 dito :!: Absolutely!

I am pretty sure that you can achieve a high score in GMAT, although not being very good in English. I mean e.g. knowing the rules in SC is one thing, but implementing them in your everyday speaking - another. Therefore I think it's good to plan things in advance, have a long-term goal and develop a studying approach, which gives you the time needed to achieve a 7X0. But dedicating a whole year (1/80~ 1,25% of your life) - I don't think it will give you that much of a difference that it could be worth the time. Within one 4-month schedule, provided that you have 120% attitude, you can achieve nearly the same. You should only what to do - well that's not easy, but being active here will help you find the right approach for you.

If you really want to improve your English first OK, but do it again intensively for 1-2 months (probably try to re-do all TOEFL books) and then switch to the skimming of both Foundation books (I am pretty sure you'll know much of the things) and then start with the strategy guides. All this should be "easy" enough and require much motivation.

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello to all,

Thanks for all the replies, I think I am going to buy some fundamentals books maybe from Manhattan, while reading fiction and non fiction books and articles, practicing some math problems and being active on the forum.

Thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot