GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

lost in the journey of gmat prep need some advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
lost in the journey of gmat prep need some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 07:51
Hello GMATclub! long time lurker here. I created a new ID because I am not comfortable in posting from my main ID.
Coming right to the point I have been preparing for GMAT for over 6 months now and still going, lots of ups and downs. Been on and off in the course many times. As soon as I start studying with full dedication something comes up which sweeps right off my path. To be more specific I started in May 2018 and my diagnostic test score was 460 although very low I was not very upset as I just started my prep. I am not very strong in mathematics so I started my prep with Manhattan quant books trying to grasp the important concepts and laying a firm foundation while also reading the Manhattan SC book which was very good in my opinion. 2 months after I had my college exams so I took a break for a month to focus on that. Back on track in September I quickly went through my notes which I wrote from Manhattan books. Gave my first full test in end of September and scored 580(40Q,30V). I was very motivated to keep going seeing a substantial improvement after my first test. Reviewing the test i thought I could have done a lot better so I gave another test 3 days after( this was a mistake) scored 540 and was very disappointed. Reviewed the test and started working on my weak topics then by mid October I again had to leave the practice due to accident of a close one so I didn't get the chance to study till mid November as I had to stay in hospital. Coming to December thought of starting once again but as I opened my books I had no motivation and I felt burnt out due to being on and off again and again. Couldn't get the momentum I was in before and felt out of touch. I was taking too much time to solve even basic problems so I left it for some time to focus on extra curricular activities and sports. My current status is that I am in second year of my undergrad and I will graduate in 2020 so I have time on my hand but this idea seems to work against me as I start to delay my prep thinking I have lots of time. It has been a long time since I started and people get phenomenal scores in half the time I took and this haunts me. I just want to give it my all and get this over with once and for all so that I can focus on my college and rest of my profile. My desired score is somewhere between 650 to 700. I am willing to put in the work but I need some advice as to how to overcome the fact that it took me so long and I am still nowhere close to my goal and a plan that I can stick to. Anyways thank you so much for everything GMATclub I get lots of useful information from this site.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
lost in the journey of gmat prep need some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jan 2019, 14:16
Hi helpme123.

I know what it's like to have something take longer than you had expected it to, but really, the fact that hitting your GMAT score goal is taking longer than you expected it to take is no big deal, and this experience is typical of many processes in many aspects of life. So, learning now to deal with the fact that something is not happening as fast as you thought it would will serve you well going forward.

Here's something else to consider. Some people seem to score high on the GMAT without preparing much, but here's the thing. You don't really know what those people were doing before they started preparing for the GMAT. In some sense, they could have been preparing for the GMAT for years. For instance, some people spend a lot of time working on math. Are they preparing for the GMAT? Not specifically, but they are doing lots of math. So, in a sense they are preparing for the GMAT. What about an attorney who takes the GMAT, or a person who majored in English in college and then takes the GMAT? In a sense, these people may have been preparing for GMAT verbal for years. There are infinite variations of these scenarios, and the result is that some people are more ready for the GMAT when they begin preparing than other people are. That's just the way it goes, and so, comparing your preparation experience with that of others is not very valuable.

Really, there's only one thing that matters, your hitting your goal, and the way that you are going to hit your goal is by figuring out what doing so will take and going about making your hitting your goal happen.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 03 Jan 2019, 09:59.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 04 Jan 2019, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: lost in the journey of gmat prep need some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 10:24
helpme123 wrote:
Hello GMATclub! long time lurker here. I created a new ID because I am not comfortable in posting from my main ID.
Coming right to the point I have been preparing for GMAT for over 6 months now and still going, lots of ups and downs. Been on and off in the course many times. As soon as I start studying with full dedication something comes up which sweeps right off my path. To be more specific I started in May 2018 and my diagnostic test score was 460 although very low I was not very upset as I just started my prep. I am not very strong in mathematics so I started my prep with Manhattan quant books trying to grasp the important concepts and laying a firm foundation while also reading the Manhattan SC book which was very good in my opinion. 2 months after I had my college exams so I took a break for a month to focus on that. Back on track in September I quickly went through my notes which I wrote from Manhattan books. Gave my first full test in end of September and scored 580(40Q,30V). I was very motivated to keep going seeing a substantial improvement after my first test. Reviewing the test i thought I could have done a lot better so I gave another test 3 days after( this was a mistake) scored 540 and was very disappointed. Reviewed the test and started working on my weak topics then by mid October I again had to leave the practice due to accident of a close one so I didn't get the chance to study till mid November as I had to stay in hospital. Coming to December thought of starting once again but as I opened my books I had no motivation and I felt burnt out due to being on and off again and again. Couldn't get the momentum I was in before and felt out of touch. I was taking too much time to solve even basic problems so I left it for some time to focus on extra curricular activities and sports. My current status is that I am in second year of my undergrad and I will graduate in 2020 so I have time on my hand but this idea seems to work against me as I start to delay my prep thinking I have lots of time. It has been a long time since I started and people get phenomenal scores in half the time I took and this haunts me. I just want to give it my all and get this over with once and for all so that I can focus on my college and rest of my profile. My desired score is somewhere between 650 to 700. I am willing to put in the work but I need some advice as to how to overcome the fact that it took me so long and I am still nowhere close to my goal and a plan that I can stick to. Anyways thank you so much for everything GMATclub I get lots of useful information from this site.

Hey!
There's no need to worry. The good thing is you have ample amount of time on your side! So cheer up!
But it's not advisable to stretch your GMAT prep for too long.
Manhattan books are great for concepts. But they lack questions. You don't need to be very strong in Mathematics to ace the GMAT. You just have to be really good with the basics. Also, you need to stay devoted to your studies. 3 months are more than enough to prepare for the GMAT. But you should be focused.

I will suggest that you go for some online course. E-gmat for verbal and Target Test Prep for quant. Along with these get yourself a subscription of GMATclub and Manhattan tests. Do these religiously and you will definitely achieve your target score.

Use gmatclub wisely. Below are the links which i found useful, in my journey so far, i always go back to them each time i feel lost.

1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html - To start off with read this post by the founder of GMAT Club bb . It is very important you start on the right foot, hence, read it patiently. Even though its says "Study Plan 2016", the information provided is still relevant & very useful.

2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/abhimahna-s- ... l#p1993468 - How to effectively utilize GMAT clubs "Follow" functionality. Don't forget to follow abhimahna himself, his posts are very useful not only for the GMAT but also for other BSchool app related stuff.

3. https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... 04883.html - Everything you need to know about SC for GMAT is here. Dont forget to follow souvik101990 an all round GMAT club legend.

4. https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-rea ... 45178.html - Everything you need to know about CR for GMAT is here.

5. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-rc ... 64834.html - Everything you need to know about RC for GMAT is here.

6. https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-v ... 19866.html - Great post by Souvik, very useful tips for Verbal Prep.

7. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-study- ... 09197.html - Compilation of "Thursdays with Ron videos" from Manhattan GMAT's Study Hall session with the absolute super saiyan RonPurewal who scored a perfect score of 800 multiple times on the GMAT. His Quant videos are equally useful & the link can be found within this link. Dont forget to thank carcass for creating this awesome compilation.

8. https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html - All that you will ever need for Quant, from theory to practice questions it is all here.

9. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-officia ... 40610.html - All OG questions from the 10th edition to the 2019 edition are compiled here. Thanks to carcass again.

10. Last but not the least, participate on the forums, it will help you immensely in your preparation.

a) Post your queries - Do a quick search for your query on the forum, most probably someone must have already asked it & an expert would have already replied to it. If not then make a post & an expert or a helpful member will soon reply.

b) Answer someone else's queries - If you think you can make a valuable contribution & help some one out, go ahead & reply. A good deed done always comes around.

c) Spare some time from your preparation to elaborately answer questions ont the forum. I stress on elaborately, because it will help you to ingrain the concepts that you have learned, even more deeper.

d) Read expert reply's very carefully, make separate notes of all the awesome information shared by them, it is priceless. Specifically by Bunuel mikemcgarry chetan2u @veritasprepkarishma daagh GMATNinja egmat sayantanc2k

e) Spare some time every week, to go through the "Share GMAT Experience" forum & congratulate people. Reading debriefs will help you in understanding the pitfalls in GMAT prep & on Test day. It's great to learn from other's experiences.

I hope this will help you & set you on the right path.

All the Best!!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 11:41
Hi helpme123,

Since you're posting from a 'new' account, we don't have the benefit of your prior post history to define your past studies in more detail or your timeline/goals. Since you're still in your Undergraduate studies though, I have a few questions about your overall timeline. The GMAT Score is valid for 5 years and many Business School Programs expect a reasonable amount of respectable Work Experience from their Applicants (often 3-5 years of quality WE, with leadership roles, etc.). Thus, it's possible that even IF you had a great GMAT Score right now, that Score might 'expire' before you had a chance to properly use it in your applications. This is meant to say that pushing back your studies might be beneficial (as that might better fit your overall timeline and you can 'clear your head' of some of the angst that you might be feeling right now).

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 10:42
Hi helpme123,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT prep. I realize that you are frustrated because you’ve been studying for so long without the results you desire, but trust me, you are not alone. Thousands of past GMAT test-takers have stood in your shoes, and with a new, structured and organized study plan and some motivation, you can really surprise yourself with how well you can do on the GMAT.

The first thing you need to do is hit the reset button on your prep. Since your most recent score is 540, it’s clear that you lack the fundamental GMAT quant and verbal skills you need for a high score, right? So, you need to follow a detailed study plan that allows you to systematically learn each quant and verbal topic one at a time, starting with the foundations and then moving to more advanced concepts. Studying in such a way will allow you to see the starting point and the finish line, which will help give you the motivation you need to keep pushing to your GMAT goal.

To study in the manner described above, you may consider using an online GMAT self-study course. To see what is available, check out the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses. If you would like more detailed advice on how to study GMAT quant and verbal, feel free to reach back out.

Lastly, you may find it helpful to read the following articles about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT
and developing the proper mindset for GMAT success.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 22:50
helpme123 wrote:
It has been a long time since I started and people get phenomenal scores in half the time I took and this haunts me. I just want to give it my all and get this over with once and for all so that I can focus on my college and rest of my profile.
If you came across these accounts online, you're looking at a very small (and non-representative) set of people.

Most good things take time. Keep working, and not just on improving your ability to take the GMAT.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 06:01
Top Contributor
If you're lost, start off studying sort of "on-the-side" -- then once you commit to kicking things into high-gear -- then it's nothing but studying. But have a structured plan.

Live, breath, and sleep the GMAT for full entire days. And then rest -- and then go at it again - then rest. Then review - and kickass on the exam.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

We also recommend a "Divide and Conquer" approach first.

That is - focus on specific sections - like Sentence Correction. Dedicate an entire day - heck, dedicate multiple consecutive days dedicated ONLY to sentence correction.

For example: tomorrow is "Sentence Correction Day" - and don't move on until you feel you've made a significant improvement and have results to show.

If you operate with that kind of work ethic - and apply that process to RC, RC, PS, DS, etc. -- then you will have individually made good progress in each section.

Then from there, it's about mixing and matching different verbal and quant questions - just as you would see them on the actual test. So take practice tests to simulate this mental switch between different question types under time pressure.

For practice, we recommend the practice tests from mba.com as was from supplemental resources such as this one from GMAT Pill:
http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

To learn more about GMAT Pill - read our stories at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
GMAT Club Bot
Re: lost in the journey of gmat prep need some advice &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jan 2019, 06:01

lost in the journey of gmat prep need some advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap