GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Feb 2019, 23:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT vs GRE - Insider Insights and Tips to Help You Decide

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

12:00 PM EST

01:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school? Don't know which standardized test to take? Noodle Pros experts will discuss the nitty gritty of the GMAT vs GRE. Monday, Feb. 11th at 12 PM and 7 PM ET
  • Choosing the Right B-School

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

Which MBA program is right for me? How can I find the best fit? An experienced senior consultant from our partner MBA admissions consulting firm, mbaMission, will help prospective MBAs understand the differences that exist among top MBA programs.

Low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 11:18
I'm a Rutgers applicant with over 7 years' work experience and an average undergraduate score. Should I mention my average GPA in the optional essay?

Posted from my mobile device
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 13:42
Hi nkumar11,

I would require more information about your background, to give concrete advice. Generally speaking, however, you should use the optional essay to address any areas in your profile that may require further explanation. A low GPA is a good example. I caution you to use this opportunity to explain your GPA without giving excuses.

Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, click here to coordinate.

Good luck!

nkumar11 wrote:
I'm a Rutgers applicant with over 7 years' work experience and an average undergraduate score. Should I mention my average GPA in the optional essay?

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 18:40
nkumar11 wrote:

Hi nkumar11,

Thanks for writing in.

In order to guide you on how you should go about mentioning your GPA, we would look forward to receiving more details pertaining to your profile.

Having said the above, the Optional Essay is generally a good place to address a below-par GPA. While explaining the same, avoid getting into explanations that sound like excuses. Admit to your low GPA, talk about your learnings from the episode, and how things have now changed.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

INSEAD Thread Master
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 01:02
First of all, This probably will not harm you if you have a high GMAT score. (for Indians, high GMAT is essential anyways, more than just assuring the adcom you can do math but to compete in your profile group) I would mention this in the optional essays if you actually have a good explanation, not something like the dog ate my homework. What I'm saying is if you had some type of illness or you had some type of situation that will make them feel empathetic towards you then go for it but if you just engaged in a lot of beer drinking and missed a lot of class then I would leave that out clearly that's not going to help your case LOL

nkumar11 wrote:

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Director
Director
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 07:14
Hello nkumar11,

This is something that is written in stone and you cannot change. If you have a GPA below the average class statistics. The optional essay can be a good place to address this and give some real reasons that affected your performance. You can also use an optional essay to tell the Adcom what changes you made yourself to make up for your lower GPA. Taking expertise help in crafting an optional essay would be a better choice for quality output.

General Education
Empowering Intellect

Predict your admission chances at Top B-Schools

w: https://www.genedmba.com/

m:+91 9164157770
e: info@genedmba.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Low GPA   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2019, 07:14

Low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap