GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 17:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GPA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Low GPA Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 13:19
Hi All,

This is probably early for me to be soliciting feedback, but since I have a big hurdle to overcome, I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time.

I'm 32, ~10 years of work experience. For 6 years I was a self-employed commodity trader at the Chicago Board of Trade trading futures and options. I then shifted into the tech world where I was an Account Manager for a very major tech company where I worked with other major players in the tech landscape. I can easily demonstrate growing responsibility and international exposure. My resume can show that I busted my ass the minute I graduated.

My letters of recommendation will be recent, glowing, and one will come from a prior manager. They're great writers and can attest to my work ethic, growing responsibility, and again, international exposure to the tech landscape.

I have not yet taken the GMAT. My recent practice exam gave me a 630. I am shooting for a 720-740, and I know I can reach that. I will not stop until I do. I've been improving, and I know where my weaknesses are. The only reason I haven't hit a 720 yet is that I just have not yet covered everything I need to know. With enough time and practice, I will get that range.

That big hurdle I mentioned? A 2.65 GPA from a decent enough but far from ivy league school. The reason? I partied instead of studying. I was in a major I had no interest in (Biology.) I was alone and out of the house for the first time ever so I played video games, drank, joined a fraternity, etc. Frankly it's shocking I did as well as I did. Toward the end I kind of got my act together and switched to a Finance major. My grades still suffered because I still had not studied a day in my life. I think my final semesters were about 2.8-3.0. But the damage had been done.

That was over 10 years ago. I'm a hard worker. I'm a respected employee and I have the resume to prove it. I'm hoping that a high GMAT score will tell the story that I can excel academically.

My #1 school right now is Oxford Said. FT ranks them at 33. Economist at 75. So this isn't me having dreams of A top 5 program. This is me being realistic. Not only that - it honestly does fit what I am looking for in a school. 1 year program outside of the US that still has some name recognition and pays attention to the tech world. I also love that it gives a nod to social justice and focuses a lot of its courses on business ethics.

I know there is a sliver of hope of getting in here, and I know I have to be top notch on everything outside of my GMAT. So my question is this - before I dump more time into the GMAT, more money into prep, and even thinking about hiring an admissions consultant, will an adcom even open my application when they see my GPA?

Appreciate the thoughts!
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head
INSEAD: MBA
Re: Low GPA Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 19:09
Oxford Said will definitely consider your application despite the 2.65 GPA. The AdCom will look at the combination of academic records and GMAT. If you do hit the 720-740 score you're aiming for, the combination will still be strong.

This being said, in your application (although I appreciate your candidness) try to justify your GPA in another way other than "I partied instead of studying". I would focus first on the lack of interest in Biology. Maybe you were "forced" to study Biology by your parents to continue with your family legacy? Or something on these lines. Furthermore, try to focus on your extracurriculars (if any).

Also, try to target more than one school. If you're looking for 1-year MBA programs with some recognition in the US and that pay attention to the tech world, you might want to try INSEAD and IMD. Although admission might be a bit tougher than Said's. But their average class age is a bit higher (29 for INSEAD and 31 for IMD).

In any case, given your background, I think it might be a good idea to consider getting professional advice from an MBA admissions coach.

When are you considering applying?

Good luck!

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D
HR Executive Director
Independent Consultant
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
INSEAD Admissions Interviewer & Ambassador

+52 1 55 2702 0059
alex@ruizlee.es | alex.lee@insead.edu
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee
http://www.ruizlee.es

Please, email me your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 09:24
Yes, I don't think Said is a shot in the dark for you. it seems your only major weakness is your GPA. Now this is a fairly major red flag but if you can hit that GMAT target it will go a long way to confirming that you are in fact a decent person. You also have a fair amount of years from that person you were before so they will take that into account. But you will need to put together a really strong application highlighting many of the extraordinary qualities you mention above

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 00:42
jsheppa wrote:
Hi All,

This is probably early for me to be soliciting feedback, but since I have a big hurdle to overcome, I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time.

I'm 32, ~10 years of work experience. For 6 years I was a self-employed commodity trader at the Chicago Board of Trade trading futures and options. I then shifted into the tech world where I was an Account Manager for a very major tech company where I worked with other major players in the tech landscape. I can easily demonstrate growing responsibility and international exposure. My resume can show that I busted my ass the minute I graduated.

My letters of recommendation will be recent, glowing, and one will come from a prior manager. They're great writers and can attest to my work ethic, growing responsibility, and again, international exposure to the tech landscape.

I have not yet taken the GMAT. My recent practice exam gave me a 630. I am shooting for a 720-740, and I know I can reach that. I will not stop until I do. I've been improving, and I know where my weaknesses are. The only reason I haven't hit a 720 yet is that I just have not yet covered everything I need to know. With enough time and practice, I will get that range.

That big hurdle I mentioned? A 2.65 GPA from a decent enough but far from ivy league school. The reason? I partied instead of studying. I was in a major I had no interest in (Biology.) I was alone and out of the house for the first time ever so I played video games, drank, joined a fraternity, etc. Frankly it's shocking I did as well as I did. Toward the end I kind of got my act together and switched to a Finance major. My grades still suffered because I still had not studied a day in my life. I think my final semesters were about 2.8-3.0. But the damage had been done.

That was over 10 years ago. I'm a hard worker. I'm a respected employee and I have the resume to prove it. I'm hoping that a high GMAT score will tell the story that I can excel academically.

My #1 school right now is Oxford Said. FT ranks them at 33. Economist at 75. So this isn't me having dreams of A top 5 program. This is me being realistic. Not only that - it honestly does fit what I am looking for in a school. 1 year program outside of the US that still has some name recognition and pays attention to the tech world. I also love that it gives a nod to social justice and focuses a lot of its courses on business ethics.

I know there is a sliver of hope of getting in here, and I know I have to be top notch on everything outside of my GMAT. So my question is this - before I dump more time into the GMAT, more money into prep, and even thinking about hiring an admissions consultant, will an adcom even open my application when they see my GPA?

Appreciate the thoughts!

Three important points:
1) Your GPA was 10 years ago, and will be weighed much less now.
2) You showed progression in your final year will work positively for you..
3) Get good GMAT scores; The scores are acknowledged as fair predictors of how you perform in school.

A good GMAT score, good WE, good EC and a good story to connect it all.
Feel free to discuss further.

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Re: Low GPA Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2017, 00:42

Low GPA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap