Last visit was: 17 Jul 2024, 05:48 It is currently 17 Jul 2024, 05:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.8
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: Low GPA the reason for my dings? Alternative transcript? [#permalink]
Kudos
I do not see yourself as being such an awful candidate and given that some time has passed since you graduated, grades will be de-emphasized a bit. Given that you applied to 10 schools and did not get in any, I would invest in having somebody review my applications and see what went wrong and not just jump into taking classes. I would also re-evaluate where you applied to as some of the schools might have been DOA given your GPA. The good news is that your GMAT score is strong and this will compensate somewhat for your GPA. Also being a women (and a female engineer) helps at some schools more than others. You have to be smart about where you apply and how you present yourself.

Columbia J-term is very competitive and I recommend applying only if you have all of your cards in order, which based on your last results -- it does not seem that way. Maybe focusing on schools that being next September might be a more strategic alternative.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Call for a free consultation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with domotron's assessment about the number of schools being too high.

In addition to that, a couple of important things to consider:
1. What's your career progression in the past 7 years like? Did you progressively take on more leadership responsibilities? How many times were you promoted?
2. Did you manage your recommenders carefully, e.g. briefing them in details, etc. ?
3. How did you demonstrate 'fit' towards those schools in the essays?
4. How specific did you describe your post-MBA goal, and more importantly did you show logical links between what you've done so far to your post-MBA goal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for all the advice (and moral support)!

I'm going to try to respond to everyone in the same post:

domotron:
Ok, I didn't exactly apply to 10. I applied to 9 - 3 in each round. I pretty much start out with a high hope of getting into one of the 3 applied, but prepared for the next 3 in case I did not hear back. And well, I didn't.
I did learn a lot throughout the process, and found that my application improved as time went on. I guess it didn't help that my most polished applications were sent in Round 3.

But you're right. 9 is probably too many. I plan on focusing this round.
I will look into UCLA extension to see if they offer anything useful - any suggestions on which classes or how many to take?

CobraKai:
I will definitely work on my essays - after all, it's the only thing I can really work on anyway. I would like to think that they are more than "passable," but there's no way to be sure. (I kept hearing that there is still hope for 2.8, but... yea.)

ManhattanReview:
As you and domotron suggested, I probably will do a ding analysis to see where else I can improve. I haven't done much research with this, but it's priced per-school? Given that I applied to 9, would it make sense to just select 1 or 2 for review?

"Some of the school might have been DOA given your GPA" - in your opinion, which schools? Perhaps I will steer away from them this time. I've heard that since I've been out of school for a while, GPA is less important. But given the results of my applications (0 interviews), I'm not quite so sure...

"Also being a women (and a female engineer) helps at some schools more than others." Which schools would value female engineers more? I really do try to research my schools, but some things are just not plainly stated. Could you please advise?

As for applying to Columbia, I feel that given that I still have 4 months, which is 1/3 of the year, to focus on just this school, I would be able to "get my cards in order". Also, the J-term is supposedly for people for whom internships would not help as much, such as entrepreneurs. Since I fall into this category, wouldn't it make sense that I give it a try? What do you see as the drawbacks to applying?

theK:
I stayed at the same company for 7 years, but due to internal politics, and just the nature of software consulting (independent, do not generally get promoted to managerial roles), I was only promoted once. I talked to my manager about this, but she claimed that there's just really nothing she could do. So I guess unless I want to change jobs while preparing for applications (which I don't!), I can do little about this situation. Do you think I should have my recommender address this issue specifically? (He is the manager of a client I've been working with for 5 years, not my direct manager, so I'm not sure it makes sense for him to mention this.) I did not choose my current manager as my recommender because of some unpleasant history in which she badmouthed me behind my back...

Both my recommenders are very supportive of me, and I did prep them in my plans, etc., but as engineering managers, I don't think they write superb recommendations in general, nor are they used to writing them.

I think I adequately address the "fit" and my post-MBA goals in my essays. (Online research, infosessions, talking to students and attending events if available, etc.) Any pointers to make the connections stronger?

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
I plan to:

1. Look into ding analysis
2. Polish my essays
3. Improve my recommendations (how?)
4. Take a couple of classes to show academic proficiency - this was my main question, and I feel it was not adequately answered. Which classes, how many, and where? Has anyone actually done this and found it helpful?

Further advice is greatly appreciated!!! :roll:
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Kudos
If you do rejection analysis from a consultant, just focus on one school -- you will be able to see what the issues are with your application and apply it to other schools. Also, save your money for something more important - namely applying to business school in the near future.

As for Columbia J-term, it is possible, but just do not go into it without seeing what can be done to improve your chances. I think HBS, Stanford, Haas and MIT would be DOA -- so stay away from these schools if you re-apply.

As for being a woman, this will help your candidacy most at Wharton, Columbia, Yale, Ross and Johnson. These schools are the most aggressive about recruiting female applicants.

Columbia J-term is challenging and you have to demonstrate that this is the ideal program for you since it is unique.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free assessment.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ManhattanReview wrote:
I think HBS, Stanford, Haas and MIT would be DOA -- so stay away from these schools if you re-apply.

Ouch. I applied to the first 3 DOA in Round 1. (I live in the Bay Area, so Stanford and Haas are no-brainers location-wise. And family/boyfriend is putting strong pressure for me to stay close, sigh.) I guess that may explain my results. :cry:
So by DOA, you mean that no amount of "alternative transcripting" would revive the application, correct?

For the rejection analysis - should I focus on a school that I really want to get in, or a school, say, with the most essays so I get some opinions on the essays? I was mentally trying to select one to use, but couldn't come up with one.

Also, I think even if I do the rejection analysis, it will have to be in parallel with taking online classes. I don't think I can wait on enrolling if I want to have the grades by the next application season. Any suggestions on the courses to take, where, and how many (I'm thinking about 2), would be greatly appreciated. (Yes, I keep coming back to the classes...) I'm looking into UCLA extension right now.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
nightLotus wrote:
ManhattanReview wrote:
I think HBS, Stanford, Haas and MIT would be DOA -- so stay away from these schools if you re-apply.

Ouch. I applied to the first 3 DOA in Round 1. (I live in the Bay Area, so Stanford and Haas are no-brainers location-wise. And family/boyfriend is putting strong pressure for me to stay close, sigh.) I guess that may explain my results. :cry:

The Bay Area is a tough draw. Even though Haas isn't on the level of HBS or GSB, it's small class size and Bay Area location results in an acceptance rate of ~13%. A dark horse for Bay Area placement (if that's your goal)is McCombs - since it's further down the ladder, they're more likely to overlook your GPA, especially with that 740 GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Did you consider Anderson? It places well in the Bay Area.

Yup. Rejected with no interview in Round 2. :cry:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I agree with ManhattanReview - one ding analysis is enough. I would suggest you pick an application you thought was the best and see how comments/suggestions come out from the analysis.

As for taking online courses, 2 at most 3 is what I've seen people utilise to create their alternative transcript. The key is really not the number but doing well in the course (i.e. get an A). Examples of courses would be Intro to micro / macroeconomics, statistics, calculus, that type of course. Just anything that is outwardly quantitative and demonstrate your quant ability.

It makes more sense now that you applied to 3 schools per round. The tough part was the 3 schools you applied to in R1 are extremely competitive and applying to any school in round 3 is basically a lottery even with a good GPA.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [5]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi nightLotus. Sorry to hear that this application cycle didn't go as you had hoped. I'm a current student at Booth and was a low GPA applicant last year. I am also over 30.

First, your GMAT score is great. A 48 Quant score puts you at the 80th percentile and that more than passes the bar. I took the GMAT in 2011 and a 48 was the 82nd percentile then. The percentiles keep shifting so don't put so much emphasis there.

I'm going to agree with Manhattan Review and say do not jump into creating an alternate transcript. You may not need it. I didn't create one and I was fine. I think it's too easy to blame the obvious red flag of the 2.8. However, if everything else is on point a 2.8 alone will not keep you out of a school. I had a lower GPA than yours (not much lower) and still got into Kellogg, Booth, and Wharton. The key is knowing what you do have going for you and positioning the hell out of it. I get the feeling that in applying to 9 schools you weren't able to do that.

From your post above it seems as though your work experience may have been the bigger issue than your GPA. If your resume does not show progression in some sort of capacity then you're DOA. If you can't demonstrate leadership then you're DOA. I'm not saying you don't have these things, but maybe you didn't bring them out as well as you could have in your essays, resumes, and recommendations. For a low GPA applicant the key is to put together an application that is so compelling that they blink at a low GPA as something trivial.

Another thing that concerns me is your interest in entrepreneurship. Coming from a technical background this could make sense. However, how you tell the story of a career goal in entrepreneurship in your essays can either make you or break you. Do you have past experience in start ups or in any type of entrepreneurial endeavor? Let me tell you a secret about b-schools. They like a sure thing. They want people who don't need them to be successful. They want to see evidence that you can actually accomplish what you say you want to do. The best indicator of that is past experience. If you cannot tie something you've done to what you eventually want to do then your goals seem unrealistic and not well thought out. This is something to consider when you look back over your applications.

Last, you say your recommendations were passable. With a low GPA they have to be stellar. Recommenders need to champion you to the school not simply endorse you. If your recommenders weren't doing that then your recommendations basically leave little impression. Also be careful of using recommenders that worked with you too long ago. Try to keep it within the last three years. People who managed you back in 2008 but no longer play an integral role in your career aren't helpful to admissions committees because they typically can't speak to who you are now.

I hope some of this helps. I'd recommend getting a ding analysis first before you invest in classes. That is likely not the lever you need to pull in order to improve your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi nightlotus. I think some people here have given you great advice. I agree that I think you likely have an issue in your essays and your story that needs to be addressed. Definitely agree with cheetarah that an entrepreneurship goal can be seen as a risk and you need to really connect past experiences to your goal. I didnt use my exact goal in my essays because it is a 180 degree change from my current work experience. Instead I went with a goal that was close to my real goal but more related to what I have experience doing. Also, did you give your recommenders some guidance on qualities you are trying to show and remind them if specific times your showed those qualities? I agree that you need strong recs too. I really don't think it is just your GPA that caused your results.

I took two courses to help my GPA mainly because I had the time and figured it might help. I do think it helped, but I think nailing your essays makes a MUCH larger impact. Those courses are really time consuming and expensive as well. You might be better served spending the money to get the ding analysis or maybe even a consultant to help you? But in terms of courses, I knew I wouldn't get an A is a class like calculus (got a C freshman year) so I took Intro to Accounting and Math for Business and Economics. The accounting class was through Berkeley extension and I thought pretty good. You obviously have math skills based on your GMAT (I scored 68 percentile on math so 80 is pretty solid in my book), so I think an accounting or finance class could be good should you decide to take a class or two.

Good luck w the reapplications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
nightLotus,

Not sure if this is what you want to hear but have you given any thoughts to Haas' EWMBA program?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
CobraKai:
Thanks for the info. My "real" goal is closer to starting my own business than "placement" in the Bay Area. But I'll research McCombs a bit to just see if I like it. Thanks!

domotron:
"pick an application you thought was the best" - I think that's a great idea. Didn't think about that.

Thanks also for the example of classes. So you're saying that schools don't prefer one class over another, so I can just pick what I'm interested in taking, as long as it's quant?

"The tough part was the 3 schools you applied to in R1 are extremely competitive and applying to any school in round 3 is basically a lottery even with a good GPA." - yea, I am realizing this too late. It seems to be equating my efforts to applying to 3 schools in R2, ha.

cheetarah1980:
Thank you for discussing your own experience. This really helps with the process as well as moral support, haha.
You brought up many good points which lead to some questions/response I have...

1. I understand the need to "position myself," but I'm not sure if I was able to "positioning the hell out of it." I suppose that a ding analysis would be able to help me a bit in this respect. But just wondering, what was your process in doing this? Did you seek out a consulting service? And how much did that help you, if you did?

2. You are probably correct in that my career progression did not look very strong on paper either. Short of asking for promotions, what do you think I can do to mitigate its negative effects? (I mean, I've always thought that I have a great job, it's just that in software consulting, we really don't have management roles, and at least our company gives few raises.) Do you think this warrants an optional essay, more than my low GPA? Or can I mention both in the optional essays?

3. I thought about how "realistic" a goal in entrepreneurship would sound to a business school. I tried to make it more realistic by demonstrating my professional experiences in multiple industries, as well as funding community organizations. But I see what you mean. I'm not sure if I have "something in-between" (that Dakells mentioned) that would sound any more realistic that I can be passionate about. But I will give it further thought.

4. As for my recommenders, I chose the two who are sincerely supportive of me, who thinks highly of my work, etc. As it happens, one of them was the manager/director who hired me in 2006, the other was the client manager I've worked with for almost 5 years and still currently work with now. Do you think the first selection, being so long ago, is irrelevant? But he is very very supportive and willing to rework his recommendations for me after my rejections. Should I replace him with my current HR manager who had back-stabbed me once before? (I really don't want to, but I don't have many choices, being a consultant.) Also, how can I obtain the stellar recommendations I need? Discussing over a cup of tea is not feasible as we are physically very far away (CA to DC). How do other applicants usually do this? I used emails as my main form of communication with my recommenders - sent them my goals, resume, highlights, and a few things schools are looking for, and they did them from there. Bad idea?

Dakells:
I'm not sure I can find something related to starting a business that is "a goal that was close to my real goal but more related to what I have experience doing." I think it is great advice, however, and I will try my best to link experience with goal better.

"Did you give your recommenders some guidance on qualities you are trying to show and remind them if specific times your showed those qualities" - I tried doing this in general, to go with my "positioning," however, I couldn't get my recomenders to tailor them to each school - I think that's too much work for them and I better not bug them that much, lest they couldn't finish doing them. Also, unless the schools publish them directly, sometimes I'm not really sure, even after extended research, what the distinct qualities they value are. Any suggestions on how else to improve recommendations?

Thank you for mentioning your experience with Berkeley Extension. Can you elaborate? I am deciding between UCLA Extension and Berkeley Extension right now. Did you take the courses online? Was the professor knowledgeable? responsive? Courses easy enough to get an A? Were they time-consuming? Software easy to use? (I was almost going to PM you these questions, but then I thought if they are on the forum, it may benefit others who are deciding on somewhere to take courses online as well.) Thanks!

ricecake:
Yup, I did. One of my friends from Berkeley is currently in that program. However, I really really want the full-time experience, so I'm trying again this application season. In case I fail, I may look into that (and other part-times). But I'm really hoping I don't get there.

Again, thanks to everyone for all your advice. They really helped in making up my mind on what to do now. I've pretty much decided on a ding analysis. I know I need to rework my essays/recommendations(how?), and maybe I can do something about my work experience (what?). I am still considering taking 2 classes online (if they are not that hard/time-consuming). If nothing else, just to show that I'm seriously making an effort, and be able to answer the "what did you do in the past year as a reapplicant" question.

I know I'm asking a lot, but please answer my questions above. Any new advice is of course welcome. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
nightLotus wrote:
CobraKai:
Thanks for the info. My "real" goal is closer to starting my own business than "placement" in the Bay Area. But I'll research McCombs a bit to just see if I like it. Thanks!

:

In that case, McCombs deserves your attention. I recall reading somewhere that after SF and NYC, Austin is a hotbed for start-ups.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
CobraKai wrote:
nightLotus wrote:
CobraKai:

:

In that case, McCombs deserves your attention. I recall reading somewhere that after SF and NYC, Austin is a hotbed for start-ups.

I actually heard this as well. I was told SF->NYC->Austin->Boston which surprises a lot of people. I have no numbers to back it up however because I can't remember where I read about that.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos