It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low Verbal Score Although Less Wrong Answers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Low Verbal Score Although Less Wrong Answers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 07:38
Hi,

I did a practice test on GMAT Prep Software which is free. My scores are V20 and Q50 leads to 590 in total. However, I did only 15 wrong answers on Verbal. I know this is an adaptive test but I think 15 wrong answers should not lead to V20 (am I wrong ?) My wrong answer numbers in verbal section are:
1-2-5-9-11-15-20-25-29-30-32-35-37-38-41

Because I did 8 wrong answers on Quant and I got 50 (wrong answers are 2-10-13-14-20-22-28-32)

So will it be a possibility about a wrong scoring in GMAT Prep. Also, what are your advices for me to pull V20 to V35, I think I am not far away from it :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 784 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Low Verbal Score Although Less Wrong Answers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 07:55
Hi ys933 ,

I have a very simple answer for you.

Number of right or wrong questions does not determine the end score.

What matters is how many difficult questions are you getting right.

Hence, Q50 was because you were getting most of the HARD questions correct.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 784 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 07:19
Hi there,

Today I did a new practice test on GMAT prep and I got 650 (Q50, V28) :) Surprisingly, number of my wrong answers in verbal is again 15. However, I realized that I did less mistakes towards the end of the section, a majority of my wrong answers are between 16-30 th questions. So, I think the first 15 and last 10 questions are very very very important for calculating our verbal score....

Director
Director
D

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 111

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 07:54
ys933 wrote:
Hi there,

Today I did a new practice test on GMAT prep and I got 650 (Q50, V28) :) Surprisingly, number of my wrong answers in verbal is again 15. However, I realized that I did less mistakes towards the end of the section, a majority of my wrong answers are between 16-30 th questions. So, I think the first 15 and last 10 questions are very very very important for calculating our verbal score....

Hi ys933,

Yeah so you get that right. First nail all the questions thrown at you because they are of Medium level questions. With that you direct the algorithm to fetch you higher level questions. Which also means you raised the bar for yourself.

Now is the time to stay with your set trategy that is avoid 3 consecutive wrongs, skip a question when you're sure the earlier one you got damn right and focus on the next question very well if you skipped a question earlier. Do not skip a question if that is from your strong area. so try to save time one the that very horrible question. So as you understood already, do this in between not in the start and not in the end.

Now Nail the last set of questions to best of your capability.

Also be ready to be bothered by consecutive RCs thrown at you to ruin your set game. The only way is to be flexible with your strategy when a situtation like this comes.

So if there are 3 RCs presented to you in first 15 questions then it is certainly okie to spend more time initially, but there is no way to have bad accuracy in such a case as you need be able to raise the bar for yourself else you wont see higher difficulty level questions.

Try all possibilities in Mocks. But always stick to play hard in the start and in the end and just maintain the game in between :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 111

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 08:34
Have a look at your wrong answer pattern. From the first 11, you have four wrong answers. The first 2 are wrong. Two wrong from start would lead to a low score. In fact, I remember reading about comparisions where it was proven that if two starting questions are wrong in a row you could score in low thirities/ early twenties. Another candidates getting these two questions right and getting even 15 or 16 wrong could score V35 (provided the wrong answers are spread throughout the exam).

Sent from my SM-N900 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Low Verbal Score Although Less Wrong Answers   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 08:34

Low Verbal Score Although Less Wrong Answers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap