It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M01-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135910 [0], given: 12715

M01-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (00:49) correct 26% (01:22) wrong based on 168 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135910 [1], given: 12715

Re M01-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

If \(x \gt 1\) and \(y \gt 1\), is \(x \gt y\)?

Notice that we are told that both \(x\) and \(y\) are greater than 1.

(1) \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\). Since both parts of the inequality are non-negative we can safely apply squaring: \(x \gt y^2\). Now, as \(x\) and \(y\) are greater than 1 then \(x \gt y\). Sufficient.

Notice that if we were told that \(x \gt 0\) and \(y \gt 0\), instead of \(x \gt 1\) and \(y \gt 1\), then this statement wouldn't be sufficient. For example: if \(x=\frac{1}{3}\) and \(y=\frac{1}{2}\) then \(x=\frac{1}{3} \gt \frac{1}{4}=y^2\) but in this case \(x=\frac{1}{3} \lt \frac{1}{2}=y\).

(2) \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\). Square both sides: \(y \lt x^2\). If \(y=2\) and \(x=3\) then the answer to the question is YES, \(x \gt y\) but if \(y=2\) and \(x=2\) then the answer to the question is NO, since in this case \(x=y\). Not sufficient.

Answer: A

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M01-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 06:07
I don't understand why statement 1 can't be deemed insufficient for the same reason as statement 2, i.e. when x=2, and y=2. Why is it possible to use these values when testing statement 2 and not 1?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nodita wrote:
I don't understand why statement 1 can't be deemed insufficient for the same reason as statement 2, i.e. when x=2, and y=2. Why is it possible to use these values when testing statement 2 and not 1?

x = 2 and y = 2 does not satisfy the first statement, which says that x > y.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 08:43
Yes, It does not satisfy the first condition that it √x > y . cos √2 is not greater than 2.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 89

Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 10:53
Hi Bunnuel

I got the correct answer. But in the process, I have got one genuine doubt.

If in any questions we have variables like p, q, r and certain relation is given, is it safe to assume everytime that p can be equal to q can be equal to r??

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 89

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 04:18
Satyarath wrote:
Hi Bunnuel

I got the correct answer. But in the process, I have got one genuine doubt.

If in any questions we have variables like p, q, r and certain relation is given, is it safe to assume everytime that p can be equal to q can be equal to r??

Unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, different variables CAN represent the same number.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 56

Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 07:33
Hello,
I believe that statement 2 is insufficient because of the following:

Statement 2: sqrt(y) < x
Re-arrangement: y < x^2

Due to this we can determine that Y is less that x^2, but not x alone, for any value of x. This would imply that there are multiple value scenarios where both sufficient and insufficient outcomes could occur.

Additionally when reading the explanation for statement 2, which states x = 2, y = 2 is insufficient, I believe this is meant that y is meant to actually equal four with the resulting sqrt(y) equaling 2. Thus when you use the re-arrangement detailed above and plug it in, the result is 4 < 4, which is insufficient.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 05:53
The way I came to a conclusion was different from what is given here. But I get this too. I see it is confusing for some people so I'm posting my thought process here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just plugged in values and saw the difference.

Statement (1) - \sqrt{x}>y => x>y^2
When you apply statement 1, you always get a situation where x > y let let y = 1.1 or 2, we get x > 1.21 or 4 hence x >y always.
SUFFICIENT

Statement (2) - \sqrt{y}<x => y<x^2
When we apply this we don't always get x>y, since x^2 changes drastically
if we apply y= 3, x=2 : we see that y < x^2 and y>x but if we apply y=2, x = 3, we get y<x^2 but y<x
iNSUFFICIENT

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 03:34
In this question, we are supposed to assume the 2 statements as it is. Also the question is asking for is X > Y? i.e. Yes or No

so Statement 1: \sqrt{x} > y
it means only those values of x and y which make above statement true. so we can have x and y as follows:
X = 3 will have all those values of Y for which Y^2 is less than 3 (so we can have values like Y= 1.41, Y^2 = 2 which answers X > Y as Yes. There is no value of X and Y which satisfies statement1 which will not be able to ans X > Y as Yes or No)

Statement 2: \sqrt{Y} < X
i.e. Y^2 < X
X = 3 will have Y as 1.73, 1.6, .. >1 as its values.
X = 9 will h ave Y as 2, 2.5, 2.6
In this case also we can answer whether X > Y as Yes or No. So answer should be D each statement alone is sufficient.

- Abhishek

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 50

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 10:00
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\)

(2) \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\)

hi Bunuel ,

I don't understand why statement 1 can't be deemed insufficient for the same reason as statement 2, i.e. when x=2, and y=2. Why is it possible to use these values when testing statement 2 and not 1 ? can you explain please ?

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 10:02
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\)

(2) \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\)

hi Bunuel ,

I don't understand why statement 1 can't be deemed insufficient for the same reason as statement 2, i.e. when x=2, and y=2. Why is it possible to use these values when testing statement 2 and not 1 ? can you explain please ?

Because x=2, and y=2 do not satisfy \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 01:11
Bunuel wrote:
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\)

(2) \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\)

hi Bunuel ,

Because x=2, and y=2 do not satisfy \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\).

Bunuel thanks for your reply I am still confused :? .... if x=2, and y=2 dont satisfy \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\), than how can x=2, and y=2 satisfy \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\)[/quote] ? can you please explain in details ? many thanks ! :-)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel thanks for your reply I am still confused :? .... if x=2, and y=2 dont satisfy \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\), than how can x=2, and y=2 satisfy \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\) ? can you please explain in details ? many thanks ! :-)

Frankly, I don't know what to explain...

If x = y = 2, then \((\sqrt{y} \approx 1.4) \lt (x=2)\)

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
M01-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 04:38
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\)

(2) \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\)

Tricky question if we assumed that x & y only integers

(1) \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\)

Both x & y are positive according to stem. So we can square both sides

x > y^2 & by default y^2 > y ...then

x > y^2 > y

Sufficient

(2) \(\sqrt{y} \lt x\)

Both x & y are positive according to stem. So we can square both sides

y < x^2

Let y =3 & x = 2.........Answer is No

Let y =3 & x = 4.........Answer is Yes

Insufficient

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 109 [1], given: 66

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Given : x>1 and y>1, so here we don't have to worry about fractions, negative numbers and value 0 and 1
Now find if x>y

Condition 1:
\(\sqrt{x}\) >y
=> x> \(y^2\)
Now as we know \(y^2\) >y (if y is not equal to 0 and 1)
so => x>\(y^2\) > y
=> x>y . Answer. Sufficient

by putting values:
\(\sqrt{x}\) >y
So we have to find value of \(\sqrt{x}\) is "greater" than y.
Assume y=2 .. => 2.1 > 2
So \(\sqrt{x}\) = 2.1 => x = 4.41 => 4.41 >2 => x>y Sufficient

Condition 2:
\(\sqrt{y}\) < x
=> y <\(x^2\)
=> 3<(3)^2 => but here x=y so Answer x> y answer to main question is No
=> 2< (4)^2 =>Here x> y answer to our main question is yes
=> 9 < (4)^2 => Here x<y so answer to our main question is No
Not sufficient

Kudos [?]: 109 [1], given: 66

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 46 [1], given: 149

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
M01-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hello dave13,

Let me try and explain how I solved this. It MAY look a bit complex, but once you get a hang of it - this approach is more intuitive (Atleast for me).

Stem : Both X and Y are positive. Both of them are not Proper fractions. Question asks, is X > Y? Another way of Paraphrasing this is - On the number line is X on the right of Y?

S1: \(\sqrt{X} > Y\)

On a Number line, this means \(\sqrt{X}\) is on the right of Y. This is how the Number line would look.

Attachment:
Case 1.png

From this we can very easily infer that X is on the right of Y. Mathematically this means X > Y. Clearly sufficient.

S2: \(\sqrt{Y}< X\)

What this statement means is, on the number line \(\sqrt{Y}\) is on the left of X. The cases that make this conditions true are

Case 1 : Here Y < X

Attachment:
Case 2.png

Case2: : Here Y > X

Attachment:
Case 3.png

S2 gives two Answers for one equation. Hence Insuff.

S1 is Sufficient and S2 is Insufficient. The Answer is hence A

Hope this helps.

dave13 wrote:
What squaring? Which statement are you talking about? What is unclear? Please be more specific...

Bunuel - I am talking about second statement, after squaring both sides to get rid of radical sign why 2 is still 2 and not 2^2 which is 4 http://www.shelovesmath.com/algebra/int ... qualities/ please explain :-)

>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Best is yet to come!

Kudos [?]: 46 [1], given: 149

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 265

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 18:25
Bunuel

Quote:
(1) \(\sqrt{x} \gt y\). Since both parts of the inequality are non-negative we can safely apply squaring: \(x \gt y^2\). Now, as \(x\) and \(y\) are greater than 1 then \(x \gt y\). Sufficient.

Can you please explain how combining this statement ie. \(x \gt y^2\) along with info in Q stem ie x>1 and y>1 helps us to infer x>y?
Did you try to plug in numbers as in St 2?

niks18

Is Nikkb correct in quoting:

Quote:
Given : x>1 and y>1, so here we don't have to worry about fractions, negative numbers and value 0 and 1

We can still have x and y as improper fractions, right? say 3/2 which is greater than 1.

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 265

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 22:25
adkikani wrote:
Bunuel

Quote:

Can you please explain how combining this statement ie. \(x \gt y^2\) along with info in Q stem ie x>1 and y>1 helps us to infer x>y?
Did you try to plug in numbers as in St 2?

niks18

Is Nikkb correct in quoting:

Quote:

We can still have x and y as improper fractions, right? say 3/2 which is greater than 1.

When 0 < x < 1, then x^2 < x. So, squaring decreases the value. For example, (1/2)^2 < 1/2
When x > 1, then x^2 > x. So, squaring increases the value. For example, (3/2)^2 > 3/2

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: M01-05   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 22:25

M01-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap