GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 18:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

M20-12

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: M20-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 02:49
Bunuel wrote:
Subham10 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. "You can see that portion of the circle which is above the line is 1/4 of the circumference of the circle"--

How did u conclude this? Please show calculation

This should be easy. I'll give you the hints and let you figure out the rest.

1. The circle is centred at the origin, so each quadrant has 1/4 of the circumference.
2. y = x + 1 cuts the x and y-axis at (-1, 0) and (0, 1) respectively at the same exact points the circle cuts the axis.

Got it. Yes, it was easy!

Thanks & Regards
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 13:25
Hi Bunuel,

A small doubt. Though i agree with solution and got the same answer but in case if we are selecting 1/4 of the circumference, we are including either the point (-1,0) or the point (0,1) and none of them satisfies the condition.
So shouldn't exact answer be a little less than 1/4.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 20:25
asthagupta wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

A small doubt. Though i agree with solution and got the same answer but in case if we are selecting 1/4 of the circumference, we are including either the point (-1,0) or the point (0,1) and none of them satisfies the condition.

A point has no dimension, so it does not matter. The same way a line has only one dimension, length, but no area.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 11:06
Bunuel wrote:
asthagupta wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

A point has no dimension, so it does not matter. The same way a line has only one dimension, length, but no area.

Got your point boss
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 00:34
awal_786@hotmail.com wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Set \(T\) consists of all points \((x, y)\) such that \(x^2 + y^2 = 1\). If point \((a, b)\) is selected from set \(T\) at random, what is the probability that \(b \gt a + 1\)?

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{3}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
D. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
E. \(\frac{2}{3}\)

Look at the diagram below:

The circle represented by the equation \(x^2+y^2 = 1\) is centered at the origin and has the radius of \(r=\sqrt{1}=1\).

So, set \(T\) is the circle itself (red curve).

Question is: if point \((a,b)\) is selected from set \(T\) at random, what is the probability that \(b \gt a+1\)? All points \((a,b)\) which satisfy this condition (belong to \(T\) and have y-coordinate > x-coordinate + 1) lie above the line \(y=x+1\) (blue line). You can see that portion of the circle which is above the line is \(\frac{1}{4}\) of the whole circumference, hence \(P=\frac{1}{4}\).

Answer: A

Is there any other simple solution??

We have a point a,b such that ... \(b > a + 1\), we can simplify it as.

\(b - a > 1\)

We know b can max out at \(1\) since \(x^2 + y^2 = 1\) is a circle of radius \(1\). For \(b - a\) to be greater than \(1\), \(b\) has to be positive and \(a\) has to negative. This only happens in the 2nd quadrant which is contains 1 fourth of the total circle. So probability should be \(1/4\).

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 00:40
The question states that b > a+1.

since we consider 1/4th of the circle in the second Quadrant.
Aren't the points (-1,0) and (0,1) also a part of 1/4th of the circumference.
But these points do not satisfy b>a+1.
In this case, the question should have been b>= a+1.

Is my analysis wrong?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 04:52
dileeprk wrote:
The question states that b > a+1.

since we consider 1/4th of the circle in the second Quadrant.
Aren't the points (-1,0) and (0,1) also a part of 1/4th of the circumference.
But these points do not satisfy b>a+1.
In this case, the question should have been b>= a+1.

Is my analysis wrong?

Yes. This is already explained here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/m20-184229-20.html#p1967451

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
M20-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 12:26
b>a+1
then b-a>1

If we square, (b-a)^2 > 1

a2 + b2 - 2ab > 1
1- 2ab >1 [a2 + b2 =1]
ab < 0.

This means a and are of the opposite sign. So both second and 4th quadrants. So,i got 1/2. Can someone correct me where I went wrong ? The official solution looks ok to me. Confused. :(

Bunuel : Can you help me here ?

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
M20-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 12:48
I got the issue with my approach, since i squared the straight line equation, i ended up with 2 possible parallel lines. Hence got 1/2.

(a-b)^2 < 1^2
(a-b)^2 < (-1)^2

Hence 1/2. I should have ignored the second line, or in other words, divided the probability by 2. Very good
question.

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 06:21
Bunuel wrote:
vinnik wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Shouldn't it be 1/4 of the area rather than circumference ?

Please confirm.

Regards

Original question does not ask about the area, it asks about the portion of the circumference

If it were: set T consists of all points (x,y) such that \(x^2+y^2<1\) (so set T consists of all points inside the circle). If point (a,b) is selected from set T at random, what is the probability that b>a+1?

Then as the area of the segment of the circle which is above the line is \(\frac{\pi{r^2}}{4}-\frac{r^2}{2}=\frac{\pi-2}{4}\) so \(P=\frac{area_{segment}}{area_{circle}}=\frac{\frac{\pi-2}{4}}{\pi{r^2}}=\frac{\pi-2}{4\pi}\).

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel,

I've made the exact graphical thought process as you and got the the answer Pi-2/4Pi, which is not in the answer options. It's not clear to me why "Original question does not ask about the area, it asks about the portion of the circumference" as the question asks "Set T consists of all points (x,y) such that x2+y2=1. If point (a,b) is selected from set T at random, what is the probability that b>a+1b>a+1?"

An area can be defined as an infinite number of point. Thus, for me the favorable cases should indeed be an area, since the Set T consists in ALL points that obey to a certain equation.

Could you please clarify?

Thanks a lot!
Math Expert
V
M20-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 10:20
Miracles86 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
vinnik wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Shouldn't it be 1/4 of the area rather than circumference ?

Please confirm.

Regards

Original question does not ask about the area, it asks about the portion of the circumference

If it were: set T consists of all points (x,y) such that \(x^2+y^2<1\) (so set T consists of all points inside the circle). If point (a,b) is selected from set T at random, what is the probability that b>a+1?

Then as the area of the segment of the circle which is above the line is \(\frac{\pi{r^2}}{4}-\frac{r^2}{2}=\frac{\pi-2}{4}\) so \(P=\frac{area_{segment}}{area_{circle}}=\frac{\frac{\pi-2}{4}}{\pi{r^2}}=\frac{\pi-2}{4\pi}\).

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel,

I've made the exact graphical thought process as you and got the the answer Pi-2/4Pi, which is not in the answer options. It's not clear to me why "Original question does not ask about the area, it asks about the portion of the circumference" as the question asks "Set T consists of all points (x,y) such that x2+y2=1. If point (a,b) is selected from set T at random, what is the probability that b>a+1b>a+1?"

An area can be defined as an infinite number of point. Thus, for me the favorable cases should indeed be an area, since the Set T consists in ALL points that obey to a certain equation.

Could you please clarify?

Thanks a lot!

Set T consists of all the points on the circumference of the circle only (x^2 + y^2 = 1), NOT the all the points within the circle (x^2 + y^2 < 1), so we should find the probability that the point is ON the circumference but above y = x + 1, NOT the probability that the point is IN the circle but above y = x + 1.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 11:57
Bunuel wrote:
Set \(T\) consists of all points \((x, y)\) such that \(x^2 + y^2 = 1\). If point \((a, b)\) is selected from set \(T\) at random, what is the probability that \(b \gt a + 1\)?

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{3}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
D. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
E. \(\frac{2}{3}\)

Hi Bunuel,

Please let me know if the following method is correct

Given a^2 + b^2 = 1
and if b > a + 1
--> b - a > 1
--> (b-a)^2 > (1)^2
--> b^2 + a^2 -2ab > 1
--> 1 -2ab > 1
--> ab <0

Hence the question basically boils down to finding the probability of a*b < 0

Now for following 2 possibilities the equations stands correct
1. a < 0 and b > 0
2. a>0 and b < 0

And there are overall 8 possibilities. Since a and b each can take values of >0, <0 and =0 . therefore 2^3 = 8

hence P = 2/8 --> 1/4
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M20-12 &nbs [#permalink] 13 Dec 2018, 11:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

M20-12

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap