Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618951 [34]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [10]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been [#permalink]
Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been pressuring us to give favorable mention to their products in our articles

Advertising-sales director: They recognize that the advertisements we carry are not articles

Hence it fails because the editor’s argument does not depend on any assumption about readers’ response to the advertisements they see in the magazine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been [#permalink]
Kudos
I strongly disagree about D being the right answer. It says "editor’s argument does not depend on any assumption about readers’ response to the advertisements they see in the magazine", but as the editor states that the magazine has to sustain integrity in order to be an effective advertising vehicle he in fact makes the assumption about readers' response to the advertisements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 3
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
We must first have a clear understanding of the question and the information provided in it -

Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been pressuring us to give favorable mention to their products in our articles, but they should realize that for us to yield to their wishes would actually be against their interests. To remain an effective advertising vehicle, we must have loyal readership, and we would soon lost that readership if our readers suspect that our editorial integrity has been compromised by pandering to advertisers. (The magazine editor acknowledges the fact that a lot of magazine's regular advertisers have been pressuring the editorial team to write favorable stuff about the advertiser's products in the magazine's articles but he believes that doing so would affect the advertisers adversely, citing the reason that the magazine's loyal readership would soon be aware of this tactic and the magazine will start losing its loyal reader base)

Advertising-sales director: You underestimate the sophistication of our readers. They recognize that the advertisements we carry are not articles, so their response to the advertisements has never depended on their opinion of the editorial integrity of the magazine as a whole. (The advertising-sales director tries to counter the editor's claim stating that he undermines the sophistication of their readers, the sales director believes and asserts the fact the the readers can distinguish between an advertisement and an article and so their response to advertisements doesn't depend on the their opinion of the integrity of the magazine's content)

The Counter argument presented by the Advertising-sales director is unconvincing because he tried to negate the editor's argument by asserting the fact that the readers were smart enough to distinguish between ads and articles and hence their response to ads doesn't depend on their opinion of the integrity of the magazine's content. the point of argument was that the editor believed that publishing favorable writing about the products of their regular advertisers would have a detrimental effect on the image of the magazine as a mode of honest and transparent publication. The sales director tried to counter it saying that the reader's were smart enough to distinguish between ads articles but mentions nothing on the topic that whether it would be a good option to post favorable writings about their regular clients, or what is the effect on readers if they encounter biased(mostly favorable) opinions in the magazine's articles towards it's regular advertisers.

Hence, you can eliminate choice A, B, and C.

(D) It fails because the editor’s argument does not depend on any assumption about readers’ response to the advertisements they see in the magazine. Correct!

(E) It fails because it is based on a misunderstanding of the editor’s view about how readers respond to advertisements they see in the magazine. (Irrelevant, as the way readers respond to advertisements has nothing to do with publishing biased articles for the magazine's clients.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Arent D and E saying the same thing?
D says the editor is right bc he is not assuming anything. Ok accept
E says the ad-sales guy is wrong bc the ad-sales guy is misunderstanding what the editor is saying (which is D).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Magazine editor: favorable mentions will be against adv’s interests. Why? to maintain a loyal readership magazine needs to maintain integrity.

Adv’s sales director: Reader’s response to the adv will not be influenced by their opinion of magazine’s integrity. Why? because adv are not articles.

At first, sales director’s argument seems valid; however, when you actually look further you realize that the editor never mentioned about the response and how it connects with the integrity. The director actually misses the point by a mile.
So basically if you will see the whole argument is about whether or not the integrity is needed.

(A) It succeeds because it shows that the editor’s argument depends on an unwarranted assumption about factors affecting an advertisement’s effectiveness. -------------- editor clearly says that to remain a effective adv vehicle – meaning integrity is necessary ------- INOCRRECT

(B) It success because it exposes as mistaken the editor’s estimation of the sophistication of the magazine’s readers. ---------- not accurate. It disregards the editor’s argument that says the magazine needs integrity to maintain reader base. --------- INCORRECT

(C) It succeeds because it undermines the editor’s claim about how the magazine’s editorial integrity would be affected by allowing advertisers to influence articles. ---------- editor does not claim that adv will influence articles. -------- INOCRRECT

(D) It fails because the editor’s argument does not depend on any assumption about readers’ response to the advertisements they see in the magazine. ------------ yes, editor never said or assumed that readers will respond to the adv. ------------ CORRECT

(E) It fails because it is based on a misunderstanding of the editor’s view about how readers respond to advertisements they see in the magazine. ---------- well, editors never said that readers respond to adv.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts