GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 15:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 348
Schools: Simon '16 (M$)
Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 May 2018, 00:45
1
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:17) correct 67% (02:30) wrong based on 880 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passengers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new runway construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?


A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity


Spoiler: :: Doubt
Why not C? Argument is that buying 500 seater plane will be profitable provided airlines can fly more passenger in a given time slots, since they operate in a hub-spoke system they are bound by time slots at each hub. Hence if airlines cannot comply with that time slots of hub they will not be able to maximize the profit with 500 seater plane.

_________________
My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Originally posted by jamifahad on 21 Oct 2011, 03:11.
Last edited by Bunuel on 10 May 2018, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 43
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2013, 22:07
8
2
IMO its D

lets look at the options:

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft
Irrelevant and out of scope. Hence out.
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do
This one would look very attractive. However, this is something that is already mentioned in the argument. Read the last sentence, With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new runway construction expected. Its already given that the most slots are booked. Also, as a remedy, there is a new runway being setup. So this cannot weaken the argument. Hence out.
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft
Irrelevant and out of scope. Hence out.
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service
This option weakens the argument. Our entire argument is based on the assumptions that there are no small aircrafts available that are efficient in making transcontinental and transoceanic flight. Because, if there are such aircrafts then the Airlines will buy these small aircrafts (instead of the bigger aircrafts) capable of making the flight and landing at the local airports directly. This would increase the airllines volume of passengers at a given time slot. Hold
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity
This does not weaken the conclusion in any way. Hence out

Hence D is correct.

Hope its clear :)
_________________
Kudos plz if it helped
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 513
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2011, 00:13
2
Premise 1: Major airlines will buy new airplanes that have capability of loading 500 passengers and flying over ocean (and continent)
Premise 2: These new airplane rely on the "hub and spoke" system, in which the large airplane (400 pas) need enough long runways to take off and landing
Premise 4: Hubs slots is full now

Conclusion: If major airlines want to operate new airlines, they have to expand current runways

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft => quite irrelevant, the air ticket cost more, mean that cost need to offset with the new constructions of runways
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do. => Strengthen
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft => Strengthen. 500 seat airplanes need more boarding times, so expanding runways is necessary
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service => this one is not strong answer, but it is the most sentence that can attack the expanding runways plan. Small passenger aircraft come into service, companies do not need to buy large airplane and not need to expand runways
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity => Does not explain the new constructions is bad idea

Please remind me if I was wrong :D
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 14:58
mba1382 wrote:
Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passengers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new runway construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity

Please provide answer along with your reasoning for each option. Thanks.


There is no medium, transcontinental and transoceanic flights, to go to small air port .Hence if new flights can take more passenger in one go,then airlines can expand their business.
Pre thinking:For weaken
big fligts will not be able to land in the existing airport --
Other way passenger can directly move to local airport/local town.


A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft --Cost doesn't matter..Out of scope.
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do. It may tempt you.But companies will replace their old fligts .No new flights.
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft.It doesn't matter as company expansion is meeting.
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service..Yes.Thats correct.As there is other wa passenger can go directly.
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity.Hence we need some new option.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1570
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 14:56
1
mba1382 wrote:
Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passengers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new runway construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity

Please provide answer along with your reasoning for each option. Thanks.


I went with C on this one cause I thought that given that the airlines wanted to expand the volume of passengers per given time slot, then if boarding times are substantially longer, this wouldn't be possible.

Having said this, I still have doubts on C vs D as contenders
Would be happy to discuss further

Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jun 2014
Posts: 7
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2015, 21:59
jlgdr wrote:
mba1382 wrote:
Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passengers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new runway construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity

Please provide answer along with your reasoning for each option. Thanks.


I went with C on this one cause I thought that given that the airlines wanted to expand the volume of passengers per given time slot, then if boarding times are substantially longer, this wouldn't be possible.

Having said this, I still have doubts on C vs D as contenders
Would be happy to discuss further

Cheers!
J :)


The conclusion: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights.

Given that all other options clearly don't look valid here is my take on C and D:

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft. Let's look at the line 'With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new runway construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.' The words 'almost' and 'most' do not really give us a clear picture of how saturated the time slots are. eg. out of 10 hubs 7 may have their time slots almost completely booked but the remaining 3 may have enough to accomodate these new 500 seat aircraft with longer boarding times. This does not weaken the conclusion that major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers.

That being said, the argument assumes that, given the situation, the airlines will not want to consider any other option but
to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot with the new 500 seat aircraft. There may be another option which is likely to help the airlines achieve their objectives better, weakening the statement that Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights.

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service. This is an option which clearly is a better bet for the airlines given the current situation and hence, weakens the conclusion.


Let me know if there is a flaw in my reasoning.
Cheers!
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4772
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 CR: Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 01:22
souvik101990 wrote:
Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transantlantic and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passenegers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights, on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft.

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft.

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service.

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity


IMHO (C) souvik101990 plz provide us the explanation..
_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2015
Posts: 2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 CR: Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 02:09
2
Hi, Guys,

My first post here, so hope for the Kudos. Question was easy and I am detailing the thought process below

Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transantlantic and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passenegers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights, on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

Summary in your own words - Hub and spoke model, High demand for flights. No additional capacity in infrastructure is possible.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft.

Redundant - cost is not discussed in the para anywhere

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.

Given data - No new infrastructure is being added. Hence airlines are willing to replace 400 sear aircraft with 500

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft.

No mention of boarding time anywhere in the passage as a bottleneck
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service.

Hub and spoke model only exist, because small passenger aircraft cannot have efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight

If this is true than it weakens the argument.

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity

It supports the argument that airlines should increase capacity to meet demand
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 02:33
2
1
Conclusion of the argument is -> airlines want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot by purchasing 500 seat aircrafts
The Reason being -> Takeoff and landing timeslots of the hubs in transoceanic flights being maxed out with no new plans for construction of runways
So, to weaken this argument we need to provide a reason not to buy the 500 seat aircrafts

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft.
->Even thought technically this is a valid reason, it doesn't refer to the points in argument to come to this conclusion. Cost is out of Scope

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.
-> In this case, having higher per capacity of aircrafts is better to serve more people. It increases the performance of both Hubs and Airlines. So, buy 500 seat Aircrafts

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft.
-> The hubs are only used for dispatching of customers, so boarding time doesn't play a vital role here. Buying the 500 Seated Aircrafts does not hurt

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service.
->In this case, better go with Small passenger aircrafts! Since they are transcontinental, the capacity of hubs doesn't matter as there is an alternate. They can land directly in local aircrafts instead of Hubs. Also, with the increase in the landing places, the volume of people they can serve should increase as well. So, don't purchase the 500 seat aircraft, but go with the small passenger aircrafts.

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity.
-> We are talking about flights here, and not the hubs. If the flights are reaching their maximum capacity, then buy the 500 seat aircrafts

Hope this helps :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 269
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 23:44
jamifahad wrote:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2011-10-21 at 12.59.43 PM.png


A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity

Spoiler: :: Doubt
Why not C? Argument is that buying 500 seater plane will be profitable provided airlines can fly more passenger in a given time slots, since they operate in a hub-spoke system they are bound by time slots at each hub. Hence if airlines cannot comply with that time slots of hub they will not be able to maximize the profit with 500 seater plane.


Can someone explain what's the conclusion here and how option 'D' weakens it!

I feel option 'C' best weakens the argument than 'D'.
_________________
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1220
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 02:38
1
Top Contributor
smartguy595 wrote:
jamifahad wrote:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2011-10-21 at 12.59.43 PM.png


A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft
B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.
C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft
D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service
E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity

Spoiler: :: Doubt
Why not C? Argument is that buying 500 seater plane will be profitable provided airlines can fly more passenger in a given time slots, since they operate in a hub-spoke system they are bound by time slots at each hub. Hence if airlines cannot comply with that time slots of hub they will not be able to maximize the profit with 500 seater plane.


Can someone explain what's the conclusion here and how option 'D' weakens it!

I feel option 'C' best weakens the argument than 'D'.


Hello, smartguy595

IMHO

This is a little bit weird question because I see the two-part conclusion:
1. Airlines will buy new big air crafts ... and ... will want to expand the volume of passengers in the given time

but I don't see premises on which this conclusion is based.
There is should be something like "Airlines have a big need to create new transcontinental and transoceanic flights to make a profit".

C says that new aircraft need more time for boarding but this fact does not affect need of companies to buy these aircrafts because they still need them for creating new transcontinental routes

D says that airlines have another way to create transcontinental flights by buying new small aircrafts which can make the same flights but do not have disadvantages of big aircrafts.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 96
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 06:39
I think the OA given is wrong. Here's my view:

Why D is wrong: It is mentioned that airlines are currently using hub and spoke model. That means, if they evenstart using new smaller planes, they'll still follow the old model and in the old model they'll need substantially more number of planes to carry same number of passangers as those carried by a larger plane. Sincw time slots are limited, the option of using smaller planes is wrong.

Why C is correct: This is because if new planes start taking more time to board, then airlines will nor have suffient flight numbers in the limited time slots they have. Their new planes would become useless in that case. Hence the best weakener against use of new planes.

Please give KUDOS!

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 04:06
RaghavSingla wrote:
I think the OA given is wrong. Here's my view:

Why D is wrong: It is mentioned that airlines are currently using hub and spoke model. That means, if they evenstart using new smaller planes, they'll still follow the old model and in the old model they'll need substantially more number of planes to carry same number of passangers as those carried by a larger plane. Sincw time slots are limited, the option of using smaller planes is wrong.

Why C is correct: This is because if new planes start taking more time to board, then airlines will nor have suffient flight numbers in the limited time slots they have. Their new planes would become useless in that case. Hence the best weakener against use of new planes.

Please give KUDOS!

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device


Making the assumption that "they'll still follow the old model " is not justified. When smaller planes are purchased, they may fly directly to the destinations with shorter runways - the previous hub and spoke model may be changed.

Moreover I have a refutation to your point for option C: Since the new planes will carry more than 500 passengers, more than 25% their present capacity, an increase in boarding time upto 25% should not be an issue. The additional boarding time can be compensated by the additional number of passengers taken per flight. (Here the assumption is that the total number of passengers traveling from an airport does not change significantly).

Edit: Just now noticed that origen87 has already made these points. I would say the OA is alright.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 36
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 CR: Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 05:20
2
1
souvik101990 wrote:
Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transantlantic and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passenegers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights, on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft.

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft.

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service.

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity


Conclusion:
With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot


A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft. - Nothing said about cost

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft. - Even if boarding time is more per flight, the boarding time for smaller multiple flights to accommodate same number of passengers may be more, resulting in higher number of slots being occupied, so bigger planes might still be desirable

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity. - Even if true, bigger planes substituted for smaller flights may allow for more capacity

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service. - CORRECT - since smaller flights are able to use the NON-HUB airports hence the flights are no longer constrained by the time slots of the HUB airports, hence expansion of volume of passenger is not required.

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do. - Good Wrong answer - Again this restriction can be overcome by substituting Bigger flights for smaller flights (the implicit wrong assumption we usually make for deeming this option as correct is that, bigger flights will increase the current traffic, whereas bigger flights can simply replace smaller flights, resulting in no change in traffic. Hence. the small time slots can accommodate more passengers, thereby strengthening the answer)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Re: #Top150 CR: Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 19:02
2
Question Type: Weaken / Cause - Effect.
Objective: Weaken Assumptions.

Premise: Airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing,
Premise: Can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight,
Premise: Takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked little new construction expected,
Premise: Airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

Assumption: Only way to expand volume of passengers is larger planes
Assumption: Vector only looking at 'hub and spoke' system of routing

Conclusion: Vector will purchase aircrafts carrying more than 500 passengers on transantlantic and transoceanic flights.

Answer Review:
A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft. - Out of scope. Doesn't affect assumptions.

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do. - Restated fact. Doesn't affect assumptions.

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft. - Out of Scope. Doesn't affect assumptions.

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service. - New information. Affects assumptions. Weakens argument. Correct answer.

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity. - Restated fact. Doesn't affect assumptions.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 3049
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: #Top150 CR: Vector airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 04:20
1
1
subhrojitc wrote:
Please explian why not C?
The question indicates that the takeoff and landing slots are booked (takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs), and option C says the new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft.

The airlines want to increase the "volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot". Here the restriction is on the takeoff and landing slots. Boarding presumably does not affect those (unless the boarding process takes longer than the difference between the landing and takeoff slots, but that is not given). With the given volume of traffic at the hubs, the slots are booked, but nothing suggests that an airplane cannot stay at a hub for the boarding of a greater number of passengers. Option C therefore gives us no strong reason to believe that the airlines will not go for the bigger planes. They have no other way to increase the volume of passengers.

In other words, for us to mark C, we would also have assume that the new boarding time will significantly affect a plane's turnaround time. That's a little iffy. D is far more straightforward.

Additionally, and I don't know whether we should really press this point, "hub and spoke" is defined as:
Quote:
systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passengers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights, on small planes
If we stick to this definition, we cannot assume that the boarding happens at a hub at all. The planes fly into hubs, from where passengers get on small planes. Where does the boarding happen, because we don't know whether the process works in reverse? :)
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Premium Member
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 00:37
Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights. These airlines currently rely on "hub and spoke" systems of routing, in which large planes, which can seat 400 people and are capable of transoceanic flight, fly into hubs that have runways sufficiently long to handle them. From there, passengers are dispatched to local airports on connecting flights on small planes. With takeoff and landing time slots almost completely booked at most hubs, and little new runway construction expected, airlines will want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given time slot.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?

Conclusion: Airlines will buy many new aircrafts capable of carrying more than 500 passengers on transcontinental and transoceanic flights as they would want to expand the volume of passengers they can fly in a given possible time
Premise: Take off and landing time slots are almost completely booked
Premise: Airlines rely on “hub and spoke” model to transport people across oceans or continents
Premise: Little new runways are expected to be constructed

Analysis:

Hub and spoke model presents a bottleneck for the airlines to transport people across oceans and continents. Since the landing time and take off times are booked, the airport can not accommodate (for landing and take off) more planes per unit time. Airline will have to increase the volume of people per plane to increase the volume of people they are transporting (Across oceans and continents)

Potential weakeners would be:
An alternate method to increase the volume => Airline may not buy those big aeroplanes
Current method will not work => something like runways are not build for such huge aeroplanes; these aeroplanes are not running at full capacity meaning that demand is distributed across time-slots/regions (All time-slots are booked).

A. The new 500 seat aircraft cost more per seat than existing aircraft
Does not weaken as the cost may be more but the customers might be willing to pay even more. It is not a deterrent for the airlines to buy the big planes.

B. Air traffic control systems at most hub airports cannot handle any more flights per hour than they currently do.
Strengthens a premise

C. The new 500 seat aircraft require boarding times substantially longer than those of existing aircraft
Take off and landing slots are booked. Does not imply that boarding times are booked. The airport might be huge with huge parking space and limited runways.

D. Small passenger aircraft, capable of efficient transcontinental and transoceanic flight and able to land on short runways, have come into service
An alternate method to increase the volume. Weakens the argument.

E. Transoceanic air flights are currently running at near maximum capacity
Strengthens the premise
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 00:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Major airlines will purchase many of the new aircrafts capable of carr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne