GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1065
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 18:08
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (00:59) correct 40% (01:11) wrong based on 181 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple. Because dry ice expands as it changes from a solid to a gaseous state, the only challenge is to enclose the dry ice in an impermeable container. As the dry ice evaporates, pressure builds inside the container, which explodes with amazing force. Because people who make dry-ice bombs have been know to injure themselves and others, U.S. federal law prohibits the sale of dry ice to minors.

If all of the statements in this paragraph are true, a logical inference would be that

A. dry ice is not currently sold in the United States.
B. dry ice evaporates into carbon dioxide gas.
C. children in the United States are unable to make dry-ice bombs.
D. a permeable container would not make an effective dry-ice bomb.
E. outside the United States, more children than adults are injured by dry-ice accidents.

_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2018
Posts: 22
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 19:22
May be i am late to reply, D seems to be the answer of this question as others are not clearly stated in the question stem.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 20:40
1
1
Should this really be a 700 level question? Doesn't seem that complicated.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 31 May 2015
Posts: 84
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 04:37
It is actually a 900 level question, most people that resolve it, change careers and get into medical research.
_________________

GMAT loosers are born not made !!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 11:30
1
sony1000 wrote:
It is actually a 900 level question, most people that resolve it, change careers and get into medical research.
Not sure about the question, but your comment definitely is.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 26
CAT Tests
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 15:13
rahul289292 wrote:
Should this really be a 700 level question? Doesn't seem that complicated.

Posted from my mobile device


Yup as it was confusing, maximum will select option C as it seems an easy choice but that's not right answer.

Can anyone provide more light on why option C is not correct answer.
_________________

______________________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1065
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 21:54
1
1
parthos - This is an inference question, you need to know what is correct statement among the given ones. D straight forward correct. But why C is incorrect. Only line that defines bomb makers are given below.

Because people who make dry-ice bombs have been know to injure themselves and others, U.S. federal law prohibits the sale of dry ice to minors.

can you say this for sure that the minors who purchased dry-ice will make the bomb from it. these type of questions are well know in GMAT. I have seen many same type of official problems on this. If you purchase something then it does not mean you consume it too.

rahul289292 - probably it is not of 700-level problem :)
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2017
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
CAT Tests
Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Sep 2018, 00:07
I am a bit confused between D and E.
Can anyone explain why E is wrong?



aragonn wrote:
Natty97 - I have explained D in above post. Still you can refer to following lines to conclude it.

the only challenge is to enclose the dry ice in an impermeable container

E - You can not conclude any information about children outside USA.

Let me know if you have any doubts.


Thanks for the explanation aragonn

Originally posted by Natty97 on 09 Sep 2018, 23:26.
Last edited by Natty97 on 10 Sep 2018, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1065
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 00:01
1
Natty97 - I have explained D in above post. Still you can refer to following lines to conclude it.

the only challenge is to enclose the dry ice in an impermeable container

E - You can not conclude any information about children outside USA.

Let me know if you have any doubts.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GPA: 4
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 04:25
parthos wrote:
rahul289292 wrote:
Should this really be a 700 level question? Doesn't seem that complicated.

Posted from my mobile device


Yup as it was confusing, maximum will select option C as it seems an easy choice but that's not right answer.

Can anyone provide more light on why option C is not correct answer.


Option C - children in the United States are unable to make dry-ice bombs.
Option C is incorrect because there is possibility that the adults do buy the dry ice and handover it to the children ,and so the children in US would be able to make dry-ice bombs. Just consider the children are preparing dry ice-bomb in one of the Laboratory. So , saying children in US wouldn't be able to make dry ice-bomb only because they aren't able to buy it in US - doesn't make sense. They can order it online with fake id as well.!. There would be n - number of way how the children in US would be still able to make dry ice bomb.

Hope its clear now.
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1065
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 05:16
pankajkeshri

Option C says : children in the United States are unable to make dry-ice bombs.

and your statement is --->>>there is possibility that the adults do buy the dry ice and handover it to the children ,and so the children in US would be able to make dry-ice bombs. ---- >>>> if i assume your statement is true then option C should be true. Are you sure stem has given you enough information to predict that children can make bomb.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jun 2017
Posts: 84
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 05:57
This could have been a whole lot tougher as the stimulus was challenging, but as it stands this turned out to be rather easy.
No other statement except D can be concluded.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GPA: 4
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 09:31
Option C says : children in the United States are unable to make dry-ice bombs.

and your statement is --->>>there is possibility that the adults do buy the dry ice and handover it to the children ,and so the children in US would be able to make dry-ice bombs. ---- >>>> if i assume your statement is true then option C should be true. Are you sure stem has given you enough information to predict that children can make bomb.[/quote]

Yes, the options states - children in the United States are unable to make dry-ice bombs.
At this point we aren't sure if the children can make dry ice bomb through any of the means (as stated by me) or not. Only one point is stated in the passage about the children in US - "U.S. federal law prohibits the sale of dry ice to minors. " . This is clearly not sufficient to infer that if the children would be able to make bomb or not.
1. Possibility children can make bomb- Can buy dry ice through online.
2. Possibility children wouldn't be able to make bomb - Since the US federal Law prohibit the children from buying the dry ice.
So it cant be inferred from the passage that the -children in the United States are unable to make dry-ice bombs.

Clearly, Option C is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 225
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 09:37
1
I would go for D, as it is mentioned that the container of a potential dry ice bomb has to be impermeable.

Whereas the statement only informs the reader that minors cannot purchase dry ice. This does not allow for a conclusion concerning their ability to create a dry ice bomb should they ever be able to get their hands on the necessary materials.
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 66
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 16:13
A. dry ice is not currently sold in the United States.
not to kids

B. dry ice evaporates into carbon dioxide gas.
not stated

C. children in the United States are unable to make dry-ice bombs.
kids can't buy ...but they can still have access through other ways

D. a permeable container would not make an effective dry-ice bomb.
Because dry ice expands as it changes from a solid to a gaseous state, the only challenge is to enclose the dry ice in an impermeable container

E. outside the United States, more children than adults are injured by dry-ice accidents.
no evidence
Re: Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple. &nbs [#permalink] 10 Sep 2018, 16:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Making an explosive device with dry ice is simple.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.