GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Trans

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Trans  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2007, 09:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:47) correct 49% (02:05) wrong based on 473 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.

(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house

(B) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses

(C) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house

(D) with murals brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their style varies among women and houses

(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their styles vary among women and houses

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
GRE 1: Q800 V800

GRE 2: Q800 V800

Re: Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Trans  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2012, 01:46
I like the substance of Marcab's response, and he's very sharp to recognize an absolute phrase in the right answer, but I'd like to add a couple of notes on process here. First, let me reproduce the question with underlining.

Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.
(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house
(B) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses
(C) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house
(D) with murals brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their style varies among women and houses
(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their styles vary among women and houses

As most forum regulars know, Manhattan GMAT's approach to SC relies on splits, differences among the answers choices. Once in a great while you may hear something specific wrong as you read the original sentence, and more often than that you will recognize a certain structure (e.g., a list) and know that the sentence will test a certain issue (e.g., parallelism), but usually you don't know what's at issue until you see the differences among the answer choices.

When a very big portion of the sentence is underlined, as here, you'll often find problems with parallelism, modifiers, or what the OG explanations calls rhetorical construction. I more or less expected such problems in the answers to this question , but I hoped for some very clear splits among those answers, and didn't dwell at all on these likely issues ahead of time. So how do the answer choices differ?

I. The first split is between whose in A, B, and C and with in D and E. Since whose correctly modifies women--it is their murals which are brilliantly colored--I eliminated D and E. That might seem rash; just because whose is acceptable doesn't mean with is unacceptable, right? I don't want to get off track here, but I'll explain below why I was so confident that D and E were wrong.

II. The next split is between symmetries embellished in A and symmetries are embellished in B and C. In A embellished modifies the noun symmetries, while in B and C are embellished is a verb whose subject is symmetries. Just as Marcab suggests, B and C are wrong in part because they contain so-called comma splices, commas used to join independent clauses. In both B and C, the independent clauses inappropriately joined by the comma are Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled and symmetries are embellished. (By the way, a sentence containing a comma splice is often called a run-on sentence, and that's fine with me, but grammarians usually reserve run-on sentence to talk about other problems.)

III. So that leaves A.

IV. As Marcab suggested, A uses a device called an absolute phrase, a noun+modifier, to modify an entire clause. You can read about absolute phrases on pages 242 and 243 of the Manhattan GMAT SC Strategy Guide, 5th edition (or pages 237 and 238 of the 4th Edition). Honestly, I've never seen a real GMAT SC question that really demanded that you understand absolute phrases. If you can confidently eliminate four wrong answers, even if the remaining answer is a bit of a head-scratcher, it must be right.

V. For what it's worth, absolute phrases are pretty rare on the GMAT. They're also sufficiently abstruse that many years ago, when I was teaching at a school for English-learners, a student asked me, "Could we use an absolute phrase here?", and I had no idea what he meant.

VI. Finally, in the first numbered section above I blithely eliminated D and E, just because whose correctly modifies women. Why so quick? Although prepositions, such as with, can be either noun modifiers or adverbial modifiers, when the GMAT gives you a split between a relative clause and a prepositional phrase in the very same spot, they're using the prepositional phrase to modify a clause. They're giving you a choice between a noun modifier and an adverbial modifier. If you want to modify the preceding noun, choose the relative clause. Otherwise, choose the prepositional phrase.
Re: Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Trans  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2009, 06:15
Ayrish wrote:
hi.
Can you help me to understand the following,

Shouldn't it be?
.... xs are colored, ys are embellished....
Where is the second BE?

sometimes you're allowed to omit verbs on the basis of ellipsis or gaping. Type on Google "grammar ellipsis or grammar gapping" to get some examples, but the basic idea is that you're allowed to omit units at the same level of structure.

Some examples here.

subject + object
One girl has written a poem, and the other [has written] a short story

Subject + adverbials
Smith completed the course in 35 minutes, and Johnson [completed the course] in 37

subject + complement
Jane has looked more healthy, and Maurice [has looked] more relaxed

Roberts won in 1979, and Dingwall in 1980. right
Roberts won in 1979, and Dingwall 1980.wrong here you can't take just omit the in
General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2007, 12:00
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:

It's A. In C they refers to Ndebele women
in A => to their geometrical symmetries embellished in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2007, 13:56
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:

I say A.

DE out: uses "with" to refer to women, should be "whose"
B. changes the meaning of the sentence. varying among women and houses? sounds like it varies between only women and houses. This changes the meaning of the original sentence.

C. Use of they is ambigious women or the murals??? also "and they are in styles" seems ungrammatic.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU, Ross, Kellogg, Case, OSU, Stanford, Kelley

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2009, 09:21
I would go with A

surely D & E are out of the picture

B is wrong
and their style varies "among" women and houses

C is wrong
and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house

what does "they" refer to?
here we are talking abt art.. and definitely "they" cannot refer to art
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2009, 12:11
A sounds awkward to me. If we remove the other 2 modifiers and leave the sentence, it will end up in sentence fragmentation.

Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women,......in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 17:24
Natia wrote:
503. Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.
(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries

A is the only option that makes sense.

Eliminate D/E due to the clause starting with "with murals"

B and C are both run-on sentences. Especially C...
"Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses"

The clause their geometrical symmetries is an independent clause and can't be connected by just a comma.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2009, 23:24
hi.
Can you help me to understand the following,

Shouldn't it be?
.... xs are colored, ys are embellished....
Where is the second BE?
Schools: Chicago b.

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2009, 07:27
HI mikeCoolBoy
Thanx for your effort.
Can you answer, is it ok to omit TO BE from the passive? I agree that it's ok to omit the verb, but here we have to be+PII
Don't you think that this action could make the sentence ambiguous? Looks like active voice.
...their geometrical symmetries embellished

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2009, 10:46
embellish is a transitive verb, so you need a direct object if you want to use the active voice. Thus I don't see the ambiguity that you mentioned.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2009, 11:17
the pronoun WHOSE tells you that all the analogies must be parallel and structured.
oNLY A seems to fit the bill...i dont see how can the remaining options even come close....(well,i think the same about questions which i get wrong :-()
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2010, 08:37
503. Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.
(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house - Correct
(B) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses - Among houses and women
(C) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house - would have been a competitor if it read and their style
(D) with murals brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their style varies among women and houses - As B
(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries - incomplete

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2010, 06:07
Natia wrote:

D and E wrong, should start with "whose"
C is wrong, it is not clear what "they" is referring to.
B is also wrong, because of the use of "among women and houses".
A is correct, because "their geometrical..." until the end modifies the murals. When in B and C there is an effort to create an artificial parallelism that changes the meaning of the original sentence.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 02:05
(A)

GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2011, 20:56
I think that A is the correct answer.
C is awkward, wordy. "They" refers to geometrical symmetries so "they" could be eliminated to have a more concise sentence.
In option A, "their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house" is an absolute phrase.

http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/absoluteterm.htm

Definition:
A group of words that modifies an independent clause as a whole.

An absolute is made up of a noun and its modifiers. It may precede, follow, or interrupt the main clause:
Example:
Their slender bodies sleek and black against the orange sky, the storks circled high above us.
The storks circled high above us, their slender bodies sleek and black against the orange sky.
The storks, their slender bodies sleek and black against the orange sky, circled high above us.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2012, 20:14
selfAnnihilation wrote:

Didn't quite understand how is the OA correct.

Hii selfannihilation.
The question involves the topic Absolute Phrases.
For more on how to tackle Absolute Phrases, visit: with-surface-temperatures-estimated-at-minus-230-degrees-143219.html

Before proceeding into the question, please note that two independent clause can't co-exist just by a mere separation of a "comma". To join two ICs, we need to have a conjunction word and that the absolute phrases can't stand alone.

A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house
The green shaded portion correctly describes the blue shaded portion, is an absolute phrase and can't stand alone. The best technique is to ask \(HOW\) on the termination of the last IC and if the next clause answers your question exactly in its own words, then that clause is the absolute phrase and is the answer.
In this case, the last clause describes HOW murals were brilliantly coloured by explaining that their geometrical symmetries were embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.

All other choices are disasters in that they either have ambiguity issue or IC issue. Here conjunction words would have been really helpful.

If you need more explanations how I eliminated the rest of others, do let me know. I will try my best.
Hope that helps.

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2012, 01:00

my 2 cents here :
women are not with murals -> eliminate D and E. Among A,B and C . In C 'they' is ambiguous -> it refer to geometrical symmteries or mural -> Eliminated.
In B , their is repetitive , that's an error. Eliminated. A wins.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 03:51
Thanks MichaelS for the great explanation.

However can you explain how the and part from (A) is right.

(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house

does it not break the construction. will it not make better sense if we remove the "AND"

(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old new iconography in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house

Thanks.

Please help the community by giving Kudos.
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2014, 14:00
seabhi wrote:
Thanks MichaelS for the great explanation.

However can you explain how the and part from (A) is right.

(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house

does it not break the construction. will it not make better sense if we remove the "AND"

(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old new iconography in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house

Thanks.

Let me express what I consider about that AND part.
In original choice "in a style" is modifying GEOMETRICAL SYMMETRIES, but in choice proposed by you "in a style" is modifying iconography.
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Trans   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 14:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Trans

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics