GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 14:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jun 2018, 22:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:29) correct 68% (01:31) wrong based on 310 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as Northeasterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.

(A) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as

(B) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage with

(C) because many residents of the Southeast do not have the same ethnic heritage as

(D) due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with

(E) whereas many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as

Originally posted by WinWinMBA on 20 Jun 2005, 18:01.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Jun 2018, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2005, 21:08
WinWinMBA wrote:
504. Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as Northeasterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.

(C) because many residents of the Southeast do not have the same ethnic heritage as

Gotta be (C), because of the usage of the word share.

You might "share an ethnic heritage with" someone, but you don't "share the same ethnic heritage as" someone.

Instead you'd have the same ethnic heritage as someone. Kind of a subtle point.

Another illustration:

Correct: Bob and I shared a pizza. OR, I shared a pizza with Bob.
Not correct: I shared the same pizza as Bob.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Re: Marketing research  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 00:19
I got C.

Here's my logic

I got rid of D/E because they're logical contrastors (where as X, Y-- X/Y contrast logically)

A/B/C are ok

You don't share a heritage, you "have" one. I made a few sentences in my head.

C.

The 'do' can be implied in some SC's

ie

because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as Northeasterners
is the same as
because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as Northeasterners do
Re: SC - Ethnic Heritage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2010, 05:04
IMO C

As per http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... 61-sc.html Also C

One doesn't share a heritage/background as someone else, One has the same background/heritage as someone else.
"C" is the only choice which uses "....have the same ethnic heritage as...."
It seems like since might be a better fit than because in the sentence..
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: SC - Ethnic Heritage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2011, 19:33
icandy wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
"SAME AS" CORRECT
BECAUSE-->CORRECT
IMO A
Cant be C.."residents can share heritage but residents cant have heritage"
nitya34 wrote:
Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as Northeasterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.

(A) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as
(B) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage with
(D) due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with
(E) whereas many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as

On a side note, C could be correct if the sentence had "do" after NE.

I have panacea for this problem for yours :wink:
You dont need this "do" when using "same... as ..." sentence construction as per the following link.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sam ... t1531.html
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2011, 10:19

The remain of my elimination is (A) and (C) because its idiom have 'the same ... as'. (A) is wrong because of guy above said about the meaning of verb 'share' when go with 'the same ...heritage'
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 06:51
WinWinMBA wrote:
504. Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as Northeasterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.

whereas is used to show contrast, no constrast here. E is gone
due to mean caused by. so caused by refers to two variery. not logic
the same with is not idiomatic.

share the same is redundant. share heritage is good.

C is left
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 10:27
Just out of curiosity, could such a subtle topic be tested on the actual exam?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 08:55
“share the same” leads to redundancy.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/killer-rc-the-10-hardest-reading-comprehension-passages-of-all-time-302318.html#p2334505
Intern
Intern
B
Status: It's okay to loose. Loosing increases the aftertaste of winning.
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 03:51
I was confused that why 'due to' (Option (D)) was wrong. I couldn't find the explanation i needed so i went on and did some grammar research and i found something that can help someone like me who's struggling to understand "why not Option (D)?".
"Because of" modifies verbs and "Due to" modifies only nouns/pronouns.

I found this excellent explanation on eGMAT:
1. It is cold in Arizona due to the westward storm coming from Pacific. Incorrect (Cold in Arizona is a verb)
2. Arizona's cold wave is due to westward storm coming from Pacific. Correct (Arizona's cold wave is a noun)

So in this question, if we use 'due to' then the logic will somewhat be like this:

The two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with.
Hence Incorrect.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 04:00
Anurakt27 wrote:
I was confused that why 'due to' (Option (D)) was wrong. I couldn't find the explanation i needed so i went on and did some grammar research and i found something that can help someone like me who's struggling to understand "why not Option (D)?".
"Because of" modifies verbs and "Due to" modifies only nouns/pronouns.

I found this excellent explanation on eGMAT:
1. It is cold in Arizona due to the westward storm coming from Pacific. Incorrect (Cold in Arizona is a verb)
2. Arizona's cold wave is due to westward storm coming from Pacific. Correct (Arizona's cold wave is a noun)

So in this question, if we use 'due to' then the logic will somewhat be like this:

The two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with.
Hence Incorrect.

due to is not for action .....you must practice a lot in order to make familiar with GMAT language ! 2-GMAT does not like long sentence with "because of / due to " + noun "..... do 1000 series and make intuition !
https://gmatclub.com/forum/killer-rc-the-10-hardest-reading-comprehension-passages-of-all-time-302318.html#p2334505
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 04:00

Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics