GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2014, 07:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:18) correct 62% (01:31) wrong based on 631 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.

Citizens' group: You must have interests o&er than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead advocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.

The argument by the citizens' group relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it.
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council.
(E) Plainsville economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
P
Re: Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 22:17
RaviChandra wrote:
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.

Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.

The argument by the citizens’ group relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council.
(E) Plainsville’s economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens’ group is built.

Hello I chose C for this question. Can someone explain why is it wrong .

Argument:

Mayor: Use tax revenue to bring a major highway to increase business.
Citizens: You have other interests. Otherwise you would have made the business park which brings in much more business.

It is an assumption question. How do we figure out the assumption? We look for the option which is NECESSARY for the conclusion to hold. The conclusion of the argument of the citizens' group is this: You must have interests other than our economy in mind.
We need to find the option that is necessary for the citizens to arrive at this conclusion. To charge the mayor with "other interests", the citizens must assume that the mayor knows that/agrees that the business park will get more business than the highway.
Let's try to negate (B)
Let's look at the other four options first.
(B) The mayor does not accept that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.
If this is true, can the citizens still say that he must have other interests? No, if he thinks that the highway would bring in same or more business, the citizens cannot say that he must have other interests. He is, apparently, working toward improving the economy only.
Hence, (B) is an assumption of the argument.

Now look at the other options:

This strengthens the mayor's perspective, not the citizens'. It is not as assumption made by the citizens.

The citizens are not assuming this. Whether the new highway or the business park would have other benefits, is irrelevant. They say that if attracting business was your aim, then you would made the business park. The crux of the argument is which of the two have more economic benefit and hence which should have been chosen for the sake of improving economy.

Irrelevant

(E) Plainsville’s economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens’ group is built.
Again, not an assumption made by citizens. All they are saying is that it will be helped more by a business park than by the highway.

Answer (B)

Karishma
Private Tutor for GMAT

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 20:42
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.

Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.

The argument by the citizens’ group relies on which one of the following assumptions?

Hello I chose C for this question. Can someone explain why is it wrong .
General Discussion
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 21:00

Citizens' group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.

The argument by the citizens group relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Project Management (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 08:03
souvik101990 wrote:

Citizens' group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.

The argument by the citizens group relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.

can anyone explain why not C (and how B?)

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 22:26
I think, the key point for answering this question is, you must have interests other than our economy in mind.

This is to say that Mayor accepts that the new highway will be less effective in bringing new business than a business park, but is still pursuing with highover.

souvik101990 wrote:

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 00:10
On negation, i think C is more suitable. Can anybody help understanding B as an answer?
Why not C?
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 02:14
It cant be C for sure.. Because, if new highway would have no benefits other than attracting new business, then Mayor's plan has no other interest than economy.. But I fell for A, because as the stem says the assumption of Citizens' group. A states that city has no major highway.. Means mayor might be interested in attracting more tourists or something else.. But B would have been the ans if stem states strengthening or the assumption of the entire argument.. Please help...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 04:46
Even I am confused between B and C.

Souvik - Are you sure this question is from the Aristotle CR Grail, because I have that book and I don't see this question anywhere?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 17:09
Here is the detailed discussion on this question -

mayor-of-plainsville-in-order-to-help-the-economy-of-143878.html?fl=similar

I also selected C. :|
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 19:42
I guess the ice breaker word here is "Since" having said that "since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would"
"Citizens' group already assumed that Mayer knew this
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 15:19
souvik101990 wrote:

The question is asking about citizens group assumption. The conclusion made by citizens group is "you must have interests other than our economy
In mind" and goes on to explain why the group thinks so. Now let us analyze options in the light of these:

A: clearly not assumed
B: the use of the word "must" in the conclusion points to this assumption. Correct.
C: the citizens group will say -- we never meant that!! The focus is new highway versus Business park to bring new business. Also how does it affect
Our conclusion?
D: clearly out of contention
E: too strong!!! Citizens group will again say --- we never meant that!!

ALWAYS FOCUS ON THE CONCLUSION!!
B is the citizens groups assumption as it directly relates to the conclusion of the citizens group.

KUDOS PLEASE!!

Impossibility is a relative concept!!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 15:23
[quote="Gmat1008"]Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.

Citizens' group: You must have interests o&er than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead advocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.

The argument by the citizens' group relies on which one of the following assumptions?
(E) Plainsville economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group

The question is asking about citizens group assumption. The conclusion made by citizens group is "you must have interests other than our economy
In mind" and goes on to explain why the group thinks so. Now let us analyze options in the light of these:

A: clearly not assumed
B: the use of the word "must" in the conclusion points to this assumption. Correct.
C: the citizens group will say -- we never meant that!! The focus is new highway versus Business park to bring new business. Also how does it affect
Our conclusion?
D: clearly out of contention
E: too strong!!! Citizens group will again say --- we never meant that!!

ALWAYS FOCUS ON THE CONCLUSION!!
B is the citizens groups assumption as it directly relates to the conclusion of the citizens group.

KUDOS PLEASE!!

Impossibility is a relative concept!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 12:54
how do you negate this statement??

Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.

is it

Plainsville's economy WILL be helped IF a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.

some help would be appreciated.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 14:25
arnabs wrote:

Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.

is it

Plainsville's economy WILL be helped IF a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.

Yes, you are right, negation will be like this:
Plainsville's economy WILL be helped IF or WHEN a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.
---

Conclusion of citizens: Mayor has interests other than economy of P.
If mayor believe that highway is benefical for economy of P and didn't know that business park brings more money - than conclusion is wrong.
So for conclusion be right we should find answer that explicitly says that mayor know about more beneficial possibility of building business park and therefore propose highway for other interests.

Answer is B

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 14:33
Harley1980 wrote:
arnabs wrote:

is it

Yes, you are right, negation will be like this:
Plainsville's economy WILL be helped IF or WHEN a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.
---

Conclusion of citizens: Mayor has interests other than economy of P.
If mayor believe that highway is benefical for economy of P and didn't know that business park brings more money - than conclusion is wrong.
So for conclusion be right we should find answer that explicitly says that mayor know about more beneficial possibility of building business park and therefore propose highway for other interests.

Answer is B

Thanks Harley1980, I was pretty clear on the correct answer. Just wanted a confirmation on the logical negation part if i was thinking straight.

Kudos to u!! :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 01:26
Can someone explain why B is the answer
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 04:03
if the mayor of the city accepts that the business park will bring more money than highways, then the answer b is not an assumption, can anyone pls elaborate
Intern
Intern
S
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 14:54
puneetj88 wrote:
if the mayor of the city accepts that the business park will bring more money than highways, then the answer b is not an assumption, can anyone pls elaborate

Hi Puneetj88,

I am by no means an expert, but this was my analysis, pls let me know if it does not help.
Premise1 : M->Hway=>new business to Plainsville
Counter premise : C->new business park=>2wice as much business as hway
Conclusion : M has interests other than economy

Pre-thinking Assumptions :
1.) M is cognizant of the interests brought in by business parks and yet opts for Hway construction.
2.) Building new Hway will have -ve affect in economy that only M is aware of

If you go by this approach clearly A wins it with min. time spent.

Rgds,
Dhruva
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 01:48
What an explanation!

The key thing here to note that is Citizen's group argument saying "You must have interests other than our economy in mind."
Re: Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2015, 01:48

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Mayor of Plainville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap