Although I would recommend using your pre-MBA time to relax and enjoy yourself, because MBA is going to pretty intense, I see the advantage to prep beforehand so that you can participate in other group activities and build some life-long relationships.
Here’s what I would recommend:
1.
Business newspapers — read them as much as you can. Business line, business standard. These are real-world and help you to build outlook on various aspects of the business.
2.
Thinking, Fast and Slow - As a business leader, you have to make decisions. You need to be aware of your own biases.
3.
Barbarians at the Gate — for ethics, governance and corporate decision-making, and Investment banking. Greed, power everything in one book.
4.
Elephants and Cheetahs by Saral Mukherjee — for operations. - This is written by my Prof. I have taken this elective. It was one of the most sought out elective in IIMA.
5.
Justice by Michael Sandel - Not the book, Brilliant, brilliant course on ethics, morality etc.
Then I would suggest reading some books which are directly relevant to you. For example - The everything store, Sam Walton, Shoe Dog - if you are looking to build a career in e-commerce or consumer market post-MBA.
Neetu (MBA, IIMA; HEC Paris Admit)
---------------------------------
Author of Thinking in Categories (E-commerce, Category, P&L Management)