GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 13:47
Hi,

My profile:
Work experience: 5 (worked as a software developer for digital agencies)
Bachelors Degree: Biology

Career goals:
Work in marketing, such as product management and brand management.

I am having hard time deciding what is the better rout to take. Should I apply to MBA program and specialize in Marketing or apply for a direct Master of Marketing program (not MSc). MSc is research based, I don't need it.
I found several Master of Marketing programs available though University of Sydney, Schulich School of Business.

MBA seems as a prestigious degree but my main concern is that MBA Marketing specialization is very broad and the number of marketing classes I will take will be very limited. In other words, I will be a jack of all trades and master of non.

On other hand, Master of Marketing is more specialized but less prestigious, but most importantly it will provide me skills in the subject.

Experts, please provide me some insight what is the better degree for my career of choice in the "Product Management" in tech industry.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 14:39
I am the Program Lead for the Marketing Programs at Webster University. I'm often asked about the differences between a Masters in Marketing and an MBA with an Emphasis in Marketing. I can easily describe the focused marketing management knowledge obtained in the Masters of Marketing compared to the more general business management knowledge acquired in the MBA+Marketing and I can attest to the success of our graduates from both programs. However, I would like to get a better understanding of how each is perceived in the marketplace. Are there specific industries or fields that find one more valuable than the other? All things being equal, would there be a perceived difference in qualifications of a candidate that had one degree versus the other? Which one do you think would be best for you and why? Answers to these questions would help us provide better guidance to students as they decide which program is best for their career.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 15:01
zimou13 wrote:
I am the Program Lead for the Marketing Programs at Webster University. I'm often asked about the differences between a Masters in Marketing and an MBA with an Emphasis in Marketing. I can easily describe the focused marketing management knowledge obtained in the Masters of Marketing compared to the more general business management knowledge acquired in the MBA+Marketing and I can attest to the success of our graduates from both programs. However, I would like to get a better understanding of how each is perceived in the marketplace. Are there specific industries or fields that find one more valuable than the other? All things being equal, would there be a perceived difference in qualifications of a candidate that had one degree versus the other? Which one do you think would be best for you and why? Answers to these questions would help us provide better guidance to students as they decide which program is best for their career.

Are there specific industries or fields that find one more valuable than the other?
I don't know. I work in technology field and I plan to stay in it, just take upon Product Marketing role.

All things being equal, would there be a perceived difference in qualifications of a candidate that had one degree versus the other?
Tech industry wants employees with skills, that's why I am asking which degree is better. I feel MBA may not make me more marketable, as the marketing knowledge I would receive would come from about 5-6 courses. MBA specializations are very superficial.

Which one do you think would be best for you and why?
I want to get suggestion from others. IMO, MBA is prestigious. Master in Marketing is more applicable. But again, I may be wrong.
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 15:15
hi SteveGonn,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I would like to answer your questions in more detail, but for that I would require more information from you as it relates to your goals (short and long term), companies you are eyeing, etc. For that reason my respons is braod.

In a Master's in Marketing program you will, indeed, learn a lot about marketing - concepts, principals, and theories. An MBA with a focus in Marketing, however, will teach you a lot more than just marketing. The purpose of the MBA is to prepare leaders, and they require a more wholistic approach to the business world, i.e. they are trained in a number of areas so they can lead effectively. In an MBA program, you will learn a lot about real-world problems from a variety of vanatage points, which will server you well since your background is in science and tech. To be successful in your role as a product manager, you will require skills beyond marketing, and that is what an MBA will give you.

I hope this helps.

If you want to continue the conversation, please feel free to reach out for a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
Hi,

My profile:

Career goals:

I am having hard time deciding what is the better rout to take. Should I apply to MBA program and specialize in Marketing or apply for a direct Master of Marketing program (not MSc). MSc is research based, I don't need it.
I found several Master of Marketing programs available though University of Sydney, Schulich School of Business.

MBA seems as a prestigious degree but my main concern is that MBA Marketing specialization is very broad and the number of marketing classes I will take will be very limited. In other words, I will be a jack of all trades and master of non.

On other hand, Master of Marketing is more specialized but less prestigious, but most importantly it will provide me skills in the subject.

Experts, please provide me some insight what is the better degree for my career of choice in the "Product Management" in tech industry.

Thank you!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 15:48
SiaAdmissions wrote:
hi

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I would like to answer your questions in more detail, but for that I would require more information from you as it relates to your goals (short and long term), companies you are eyeing, etc. For that reason my respons is braod.

In a Master's in Marketing program you will, indeed, learn a lot about marketing - concepts, principals, and theories. An MBA with a focus in Marketing, however, will teach you a lot more than just marketing. The purpose of the MBA is to prepare leaders, and they require a more wholistic approach to the business world, i.e. they are trained in a number of areas so they can lead effectively. In an MBA program, you will learn a lot about real-world problems from a variety of vanatage points, which will server you well since your background is in science and tech. To be successful in your role as a product manager, you will require skills beyond marketing, and that is what an MBA will give you.

I hope this helps.

If you want to continue the conversation, please feel free to reach out for a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
Hi,

My profile:

Career goals:

Thank you!

Companies I plan on working is eBay, Amazon, Rakuten, Etsy, Baidu etc.
Thank you for response, well it makes sense that MBA provide background in every area of business, but what I fear is that how can you lead if you are not an expert in the field? Leadership is definitely a skill, but it is usually an addition to a set of hard skills. Even though I totally get your point, I feel tech employers value hard skills, mba hardly provides any. Often times they don't even care about a degree even for Product Management roles, but having one is definitely an asset.

That's why Master of Marketing I felt is more relevant to me as it will provide hard skills and a deep dive in the subject. Make me an expert in an area, whereas MBA will barely provide any hard skills.
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 17:00
Hi SteveGonn,

Thank you for your reply. You bring up some valid points. In fact, check out our article [https://siaadmissions.com/sia-blog/masters-degree-in-data-science] which talks about business/non-tech companies seeking new hires with specializations as well (not only the tech world).

My concern with your profile, however, is that you have a undergraduate in Biology and will have a Master's in Marketing and no business training to bridge the two. Product managers in the aforementioned companies employee a variety of backgrounds, some have MBAs (generalist), and others have Masters in Engineering, while others have product management certificates, and the list goes on - there is no defined road. Ongoing learning is a way of the future, and you should choose a program that will open (an keep open) many doors.

If any of this resinates and you wish to continue the conversation, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
SiaAdmissions wrote:
hi

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
Hi,

My profile:

Career goals:

Thank you!

Companies I plan on working is eBay, Amazon, Rakuten, Etsy, Baidu etc.
Thank you for response, well it makes sense that MBA provide background in every area of business, but what I fear is that how can you lead if you are not an expert in the field? Leadership is definitely a skill, but it is usually an addition to a set of hard skills. Even though I totally get your point, I feel tech employers value hard skills, mba hardly provides any. Often times they don't even care about a degree even for Product Management roles, but having one is definitely an asset.

That's why Master of Marketing I felt is more relevant to me as it will provide hard skills and a deep dive in the subject. Make me an expert in an area, whereas MBA will barely provide any hard skills.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 17:36
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi

Thank you for your reply. You bring up some valid points. In fact, check out our articlewhich talks about business/non-tech companies seeking new hires with specializations as well (not only the tech world).

My concern with your profile, however, is that you have a undergraduate in Biology and will have a Master's in Marketing and no business training to bridge the two. Product managers in the aforementioned companies employee a variety of backgrounds, some have MBAs (generalist), and others have Masters in Engineering, while others have product management certificates, and the list goes on - there is no defined road. Ongoing learning is a way of the future, and you should choose a program that will open (an keep open) many doors.

If any of this resinates and you wish to continue the conversation, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

It makes sense that Bio background, Tech experience and Marketing Masters are all vastly different. But my ultimate goal is to get into Digital Product Marketing /Management (digital field). Marketing knowledge is a must, tech experience is also a must (I have).
Some Masters programs like the ones offered at Schulich, offers Master of Marketing mainly concentrated on Digital Marketing.
University of Sydney is less digital marketing driven program.

Even thought I still consider MBA a good choice, but I have some doubts about it. I find tech industries, value skills the most, that's why MBA may be a disadvantage. Bio+MBA will be suitable for very general managerial roles. Bio itself is hardly applicable degree, as it provide minimal practical skills, so is MBA provides minimal practical skills.
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 04:34
Hi SteveGonn,

It seems that you have worked out the direction you should take.

Wish you great success.

SteveGonn wrote:
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi

Thank you for your reply. You bring up some valid points. In fact, check out our articlewhich talks about business/non-tech companies seeking new hires with specializations as well (not only the tech world).

Good luck!

It makes sense that Bio background, Tech experience and Marketing Masters are all vastly different. But my ultimate goal is to get into Digital Product Marketing /Management (digital field). Marketing knowledge is a must, tech experience is also a must (I have).
Some Masters programs like the ones offered at Schulich, offers Master of Marketing mainly concentrated on Digital Marketing.
University of Sydney is less digital marketing driven program.

Even thought I still consider MBA a good choice, but I have some doubts about it. I find tech industries, value skills the most, that's why MBA may be a disadvantage. Bio+MBA will be suitable for very general managerial roles. Bio itself is hardly applicable degree, as it provide minimal practical skills, so is MBA provides minimal practical skills.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 06:01
I am an engineer by degree but im working for a real estate firm as management trainee now i want to specialize in marketing side as im also looking for application of engineering subjects such as AI in market analysis,trends and marketing itself so should i go for an MBA or an MS in marketing
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ? &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 06:01

MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap