Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hi SteveGonn,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I would like to answer your questions in more detail, but for that I would require more information from you as it relates to your goals (short and long term), companies you are eyeing, etc. For that reason my respons is braod.

In a Master's in Marketing program you will, indeed, learn a lot about marketing - concepts, principals, and theories. An MBA with a focus in Marketing, however, will teach you a lot more than just marketing. The purpose of the MBA is to prepare leaders, and they require a more wholistic approach to the business world, i.e. they are trained in a number of areas so they can lead effectively. In an MBA program, you will learn a lot about real-world problems from a variety of vanatage points, which will server you well since your background is in science and tech. To be successful in your role as a product manager, you will require skills beyond marketing, and that is what an MBA will give you.

I hope this helps.

If you want to continue the conversation, please feel free to reach out for a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
Hi,

My profile:
Work experience: 5 (worked as a software developer for digital agencies)
Bachelors Degree: Biology

Career goals:
Work in marketing, such as product management and brand management.

I am having hard time deciding what is the better rout to take. Should I apply to MBA program and specialize in Marketing or apply for a direct Master of Marketing program (not MSc). MSc is research based, I don't need it.
I found several Master of Marketing programs available though University of Sydney, Schulich School of Business.

MBA seems as a prestigious degree but my main concern is that MBA Marketing specialization is very broad and the number of marketing classes I will take will be very limited. In other words, I will be a jack of all trades and master of non.

On other hand, Master of Marketing is more specialized but less prestigious, but most importantly it will provide me skills in the subject.

Experts, please provide me some insight what is the better degree for my career of choice in the "Product Management" in tech industry.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ? [#permalink]
SiaAdmissions wrote:
hi

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I would like to answer your questions in more detail, but for that I would require more information from you as it relates to your goals (short and long term), companies you are eyeing, etc. For that reason my respons is braod.

In a Master's in Marketing program you will, indeed, learn a lot about marketing - concepts, principals, and theories. An MBA with a focus in Marketing, however, will teach you a lot more than just marketing. The purpose of the MBA is to prepare leaders, and they require a more wholistic approach to the business world, i.e. they are trained in a number of areas so they can lead effectively. In an MBA program, you will learn a lot about real-world problems from a variety of vanatage points, which will server you well since your background is in science and tech. To be successful in your role as a product manager, you will require skills beyond marketing, and that is what an MBA will give you.

I hope this helps.

If you want to continue the conversation, please feel free to reach out for a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
Hi,

My profile:

Career goals:

I am having hard time deciding what is the better rout to take. Should I apply to MBA program and specialize in Marketing or apply for a direct Master of Marketing program (not MSc). MSc is research based, I don't need it.
I found several Master of Marketing programs available though University of Sydney, Schulich School of Business.

MBA seems as a prestigious degree but my main concern is that MBA Marketing specialization is very broad and the number of marketing classes I will take will be very limited. In other words, I will be a jack of all trades and master of non.

On other hand, Master of Marketing is more specialized but less prestigious, but most importantly it will provide me skills in the subject.

Experts, please provide me some insight what is the better degree for my career of choice in the "Product Management" in tech industry.

Thank you!

Companies I plan on working is eBay, Amazon, Rakuten, Etsy, Baidu etc.
Thank you for response, well it makes sense that MBA provide background in every area of business, but what I fear is that how can you lead if you are not an expert in the field? Leadership is definitely a skill, but it is usually an addition to a set of hard skills. Even though I totally get your point, I feel tech employers value hard skills, mba hardly provides any. Often times they don't even care about a degree even for Product Management roles, but having one is definitely an asset.

That's why Master of Marketing I felt is more relevant to me as it will provide hard skills and a deep dive in the subject. Make me an expert in an area, whereas MBA will barely provide any hard skills.
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SteveGonn,

Thank you for your reply. You bring up some valid points. In fact, check out our article [https://siaadmissions.com/sia-blog/masters-degree-in-data-science] which talks about business/non-tech companies seeking new hires with specializations as well (not only the tech world).

My concern with your profile, however, is that you have a undergraduate in Biology and will have a Master's in Marketing and no business training to bridge the two. Product managers in the aforementioned companies employee a variety of backgrounds, some have MBAs (generalist), and others have Masters in Engineering, while others have product management certificates, and the list goes on - there is no defined road. Ongoing learning is a way of the future, and you should choose a program that will open (an keep open) many doors.

If any of this resinates and you wish to continue the conversation, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
SiaAdmissions wrote:
hi

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

SteveGonn wrote:
Hi,

My profile:

Career goals:

Thank you!

Companies I plan on working is eBay, Amazon, Rakuten, Etsy, Baidu etc.
Thank you for response, well it makes sense that MBA provide background in every area of business, but what I fear is that how can you lead if you are not an expert in the field? Leadership is definitely a skill, but it is usually an addition to a set of hard skills. Even though I totally get your point, I feel tech employers value hard skills, mba hardly provides any. Often times they don't even care about a degree even for Product Management roles, but having one is definitely an asset.

That's why Master of Marketing I felt is more relevant to me as it will provide hard skills and a deep dive in the subject. Make me an expert in an area, whereas MBA will barely provide any hard skills.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA in Marketing or Master in Marketing ? [#permalink]
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi

Thank you for your reply. You bring up some valid points. In fact, check out our articlewhich talks about business/non-tech companies seeking new hires with specializations as well (not only the tech world).

My concern with your profile, however, is that you have a undergraduate in Biology and will have a Master's in Marketing and no business training to bridge the two. Product managers in the aforementioned companies employee a variety of backgrounds, some have MBAs (generalist), and others have Masters in Engineering, while others have product management certificates, and the list goes on - there is no defined road. Ongoing learning is a way of the future, and you should choose a program that will open (an keep open) many doors.

If any of this resinates and you wish to continue the conversation, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

It makes sense that Bio background, Tech experience and Marketing Masters are all vastly different. But my ultimate goal is to get into Digital Product Marketing /Management (digital field). Marketing knowledge is a must, tech experience is also a must (I have).
Some Masters programs like the ones offered at Schulich, offers Master of Marketing mainly concentrated on Digital Marketing.
University of Sydney is less digital marketing driven program.

Even thought I still consider MBA a good choice, but I have some doubts about it. I find tech industries, value skills the most, that's why MBA may be a disadvantage. Bio+MBA will be suitable for very general managerial roles. Bio itself is hardly applicable degree, as it provide minimal practical skills, so is MBA provides minimal practical skills.
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SteveGonn,

It seems that you have worked out the direction you should take.

Wish you great success.

SteveGonn wrote:
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi

Thank you for your reply. You bring up some valid points. In fact, check out our articlewhich talks about business/non-tech companies seeking new hires with specializations as well (not only the tech world).

Good luck!

It makes sense that Bio background, Tech experience and Marketing Masters are all vastly different. But my ultimate goal is to get into Digital Product Marketing /Management (digital field). Marketing knowledge is a must, tech experience is also a must (I have).
Some Masters programs like the ones offered at Schulich, offers Master of Marketing mainly concentrated on Digital Marketing.
University of Sydney is less digital marketing driven program.

Even thought I still consider MBA a good choice, but I have some doubts about it. I find tech industries, value skills the most, that's why MBA may be a disadvantage. Bio+MBA will be suitable for very general managerial roles. Bio itself is hardly applicable degree, as it provide minimal practical skills, so is MBA provides minimal practical skills.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am an engineer by degree but im working for a real estate firm as management trainee now i want to specialize in marketing side as im also looking for application of engineering subjects such as AI in market analysis,trends and marketing itself so should i go for an MBA or an MS in marketing
GMAT Club Bot