GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 07:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Interview - Career Goals

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
MBA Interview - Career Goals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 03:40
Should I specifically mention the target companies (eg: Barclays) and the target role/position which I'm looking for post MBA, if career goals question is asked in the Interview.I mean if I mention target companies that are major recruiters for that B Schools will ad com worry that if I didn't get into those companies I will be worried, does that work as Red Flag

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V32
Re: MBA Interview - Career Goals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 04:18
Hi Dharde9,

You can definitely mention the companies and the position that interests you in the interview. This will definitely show the level of clarity you have about your future goals and also, how the school fits in the scheme of things. This is actually good for the adcom.

Also, MBA is a long journey and you will gain exposure to many industries and functions. Once a part of the school, you will not be held accountable to go down the same route you want right now. You may switch.

Hope this helps!
All the best

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 06:27
Hi Dharde9,

Yes, you can.
As already iterated in the previous post, it indicates clarity in your post-MBA goals. You can mention that you see the MBA as the bridge between your current professional position and future expectations.

Cheers!
Team - TopTier

dharde9 wrote:
Should I specifically mention the target companies (eg: Barclays) and the target role/position which I'm looking for post MBA, if career goals question is asked in the Interview.I mean if I mention target companies that are major recruiters for that B Schools will ad com worry that if I didn't get into those companies I will be worried, does that work as Red Flag

Connect with us here at http://www.toptiermba.org for a free consultation
Follow us for latest updates: Facebook at @toptiermbain || LinkedIN at www.linkedin.com/company/toptiermba
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2020, 23:26
dharde9 wrote:

Flat answer: yes, you should. It shows clarity in goals, self-awareness, and points to the research you have done about a business school. Its good to mention a few companies instead of just one. Like, not Barclays but companies such as Barclays, Bank of America and HSBC. Mentioning only one name sounds like you are singularly focused on one organization and that doesn't reflect flexibilty, which can be harmful.
Also, go prepared with an alternate career goal or a plan B. If your first plan does not work out then you are willing to take another path to eventually get to the same long term goal.
Eventually, adcom will want to see that you have firm but logical career goals. And you are flexible enough to try another path if the first one does not work in your favour.

Mentioning the role is important. You need to clarify what you will do in a company, which function will you work in, what you will do/ learn there. The designation may be out of your control unless you join an IB or a consulting company where you would enter as an associate in all likelihood. So you don't have to mention the designation.

Hope that answers it.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA Interview - Career Goals   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2020, 23:26

MBA Interview - Career Goals

new topic post reply Update application status