GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA or?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MBA or?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 02:01
Hi, I am an electrical engineer with 8 years of experience, worked in power distribution, sustainability and renewable energy. I am planning on doing my MBA next year, it seems like a big commitment and wanted to see what others out there think. I am an energy guy, want to spend my life working in the energy field and specifically renewables “Solar, Wind and energy storage”. Currently thinking of applying to Booth for an MBA since I live in Chicago and Booth is, well , booth. My main concerns are the following.

1- Is it worth it for someone like me with energy interest to do his MBA at schools that focus on finance or marketing?
2- I plan to do this part time over 3-4 years. everyone tells me to do full time MBA , however if I got full time I can only afford to go to Urbana. Which route should I take?
3- Is there one year degrees out there in energy management that basically are MBA’s for people interested only in energy business.

My problem is that my end goal is to open my own business in 10 years, but I feel spending 150K now will make it harder to do that in the future. I have been a technical engineer till this moment, and I believe I can make a much bigger impact if I move into business. Any input is appreciated
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: MBA or?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 05:12
Hello Christina, original thought was that you should focus on MIT and McCombs for an energy concentration but if you feel as though that's outside your reach financially, I do see that it would make sense to go part-time at Booth or Kellogg. Now that Kellogg is downtown I think it would be a good idea to apply to both. I don't think that it would make sense to go with Urbana.

You might want to check out Erasmus, excellent one-year MBA program focus on energy that is located in Rotterdam. Nothing comes to mind in the US but you might want to investigate the Cornell Tech MBA. Yet still very expensive.

McCombs is significantly less expensive because it is a state school and it is extremely well known for energy so that might be a consideration.

Consider how you might leverage the expense as an investment in a network that will increase your chances for success as a business owner. If you're able to make valuable connections that will help you hit the ground running as a business owner, it might be worth it.

Really focus on the reasons for doing your MBA and make a decision from there. If you need it to be credible to others or to present better as a business owner that's one thing but if you were just simply looking for the knowledge and MBA might not be the very best option.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P
Re: MBA or?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 02:31
christinalevinee wrote:
Hi, I am an electrical engineer with 8 years of experience, worked in power distribution, sustainability and renewable energy. I am planning on doing my MBA next year, it seems like a big commitment and wanted to see what others out there think. I am an energy guy, want to spend my life working in the energy field and specifically renewables “Solar, Wind and energy storage”. Currently thinking of applying to Booth for an MBA since I live in Chicago and Booth is, well , booth. My main concerns are the following.

1- Is it worth it for someone like me with energy interest to do his MBA at schools that focus on finance or marketing?

2- I plan to do this part time over 3-4 years. everyone tells me to do full time MBA , however if I got full time I can only afford to go to Urbana. Which route should I take?
3- Is there one year degrees out there in energy management that basically are MBA’s for people interested only in energy business.

My problem is that my end goal is to open my own business in 10 years, but I feel spending 150K now will make it harder to do that in the future. I have been a technical engineer till this moment, and I believe I can make a much bigger impact if I move into business. Any input is appreciated

There are several MBA programs known for their 'energy' offerings- Texas-based MBAs, Fuqua, Tuck, Darden and Haas come immediately to mind. However, if you are restricted about the location, then I'd rather you go to a top MBA program part-time. Urbana is not in the belt of energy action, so you don't have much to gain there either. You'd still be looking at resources in Chicago. So you'd rather go to bigger brand name colleges which have more resources. Now, while Booth/ Kellogg may not have a huge offering in the energy sector, you still need those skills in finance, marketing and strategy- especially as a business owner.
This advice also sticks because by virtue of doing a part-time course, you are not seeking an immediate job change after the MBA. So, you may as well join the best programs that exist :)

just FYI, came across Kellogg's courses related to energy: https://kellogg.campusgroups.com/energy/home/

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Re: MBA or? &nbs [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 02:31

MBA or?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap