GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 11:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 03:33
Hi Everyone

I'm pretty new to the forum and this is the first post that I'm making.
I'd like to get my profile evaluated for INSEAD.

Indian Male. B.Tech in CSE from Top 10 pvt Universities in the country. 73% graduation percentage.
Working with Deloitte USI in the Risk and Financial Advisory as an Analyst. Will have 2 years of work experience while applying.
GMAT Score expectations- 730.
Have an extensive co curricular experience with accolades in tech events, debates, Model UN Conferences and immense organizational experience of events in college under very tight budget constraints. I have worked for over 5 months with an NGO working for upliftment of economically backward children. I've held leadership positions in college.

I've been taking parts in Model UN Conferences for over 9 years giving me an insight of international geopolitics and country specific cultures. I was a part of the Chair committee of the Rome MUN, Europe's largest Model UN Conference, one of the very few Indians to achieve this feat. The conference was an amalgamation of different cultures from around the world and really changed my perspective regarding a lot of things. I have significant experience in communicating and collaborating with my colleagues and clients in the US and other parts of the world. I have also remotely interned for a period of 6 months with a consultancy firm based out of London that provided cultural sensitivity training to the Fortune 500 and I've helped design the courses and curricula for these trainings, thus giving me immense insight into the cultural diversity across the world. Will this contribute to my International Experience?

I've also interned for a combined duration of approximately 1 and a half years in college and freelanced quite a bit in web designing, graphic designing, branding, business development, photography, content writing, social media marketing and management etc. These organizations include international organizations, top startups in India as well as Public Sector Units. I've also trained over 2000 school and college students in public speaking, Model UNs, Debating, Confidence Building etc and have over 600+ hours of training experience. I also have some entrepreneurship experience from building and operating two E- Commerce stores during college. Handled the branding, marketing and operations for them.

Languages known- English, Hindi, A2 level German
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 03:52
There are 4 criteria for insead: academics, International orientation, leadership and contribution. I think you are great in the first two but I'm not so sure about the second two. Applying with 2 years of work experience is a bit risky there's a low percentage of people who are accepted with that... one of my applicants was, however he had demonstrated very strong impact/clear, measurable results...also, working cross functionally and International. You really have to show that you have had an impact where you've been within the two years and sometimes this is a little difficult to do in a consulting role where things are focused on activities than results sometimes. The average years of work experience for admitted applicants is five years so you have an uphill battle in that regard but the UN activities is truly very interesting, unique and sets you apart but you will be contending with six other essays where you might not be able to Showcase all of that.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 05:38
mittalbwoy wrote:
Hi Everyone

Hello @mittalbwoy

I'm pretty new to the forum and this is the first post that I'm making.
I'd like to get my profile evaluated for INSEAD.

Indian Male. B.Tech in CSE from Top 10 pvt Universities in the country. 73% graduation percentage.
Working with Deloitte USI in the Risk and Financial Advisory as an Analyst. Will have 2 years of work experience while applying. Your work ex is slightly on the lower side. You will have to show greater maturity and display a need for an MBA now rather a 1-2 years later. Make sure your application highlights the same. Also, mentioning just your role is not enough, what has been your career progress and impact at work? This will matter the most in your application. You can read here to understand this in more detail.
GMAT Score expectations- 730. Fair enough, I'd recommend a higher score considering your background and low work ex. A 730 will neither make or break your chances though.
Have an extensive co curricular experience with accolades in tech events, debates, Model UN Conferences and immense organizational experience of events in college under very tight budget constraints. I have worked for over 5 months with an NGO working for upliftment of economically backward children. I've held leadership positions in college.
College activities usually do not carry much weight, unless you have dome something truly spectacular. The NGO thing may work but what is your contribution in ti. Basically the story behind it will matter more.

I've been taking parts in Model UN Conferences for over 9 years giving me an insight of international geopolitics and country specific cultures. I was a part of the Chair committee of the Rome MUN, Europe's largest Model UN Conference, one of the very few Indians to achieve this feat. The conference was an amalgamation of different cultures from around the world and really changed my perspective regarding a lot of things. I have significant experience in communicating and collaborating with my colleagues and clients in the US and other parts of the world. I have also remotely interned for a period of 6 months with a consultancy firm based out of London that provided cultural sensitivity training to the Fortune 500 and I've helped design the courses and curricula for these trainings, thus giving me immense insight into the cultural diversity across the world. Will this contribute to my International Experience?
This seems a good experience, you can use it to showcase your international outlook- something that is of prime importance at INSEAD.

I've also interned for a combined duration of approximately 1 and a half years in college and freelanced quite a bit in web designing, graphic designing, branding, business development, photography, content writing, social media marketing and management etc. These organizations include international organizations, top startups in India as well as Public Sector Units. I've also trained over 2000 school and college students in public speaking, Model UNs, Debating, Confidence Building etc and have over 600+ hours of training experience. I also have some entrepreneurship experience from building and operating two E- Commerce stores during college. Handled the branding, marketing and operations for them.
These are potentially good stories, but again, your learning and impact behind these.

Languages known- English, Hindi, A2 level German
German definitely add to you.
But my friend, where is the most critical piece of info- what are your career goals? How is INSEAD fitting into your life story? None of the above matters without this crucial piece of the puzzle. What are your goals, why is an MBA an absolute necessity to reach these goals? Sadly no info on this front. Your chances will fluctuate significantly based on your reasons. You can add to your research on career goals by reading here.

You are in a tricky situation for INSEAD, what other B schools are you applying to?

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 20:51
Hi all,

So I finally decided to pursue my goal of getting an MBA. However the reality is my application and profile are not impressive at all infact if you ask me I think it ranks at the bottom. That being said you can imagine how dejected and remorseful I may feel over not having anything to show for when it is now coming time to apply for Business Schools. I was just wondering if anyone could really give me an honest opinion about where I should apply or how I should organize my list of reach, target, safety schools?

My undergrad GPA: Ohio State (Economics) - 2.8
My grad GPA: Cleveland State (Economics) - 3.0
Work experience: been working since 2014: But have had a few positions in various roles. From Accounting to Financial/Data Analyst but nothing that makes me stand out.
GMAT: Haven't taken yet (pretty much my only saving grace at this point if there is one)

Any information you could give me in terms of where I should really aim for etc would be great. Of course I would love to go for the best of the best but maybe it's time for me to just be honest that nothing I do can maybe get me there and settle for an unranked school. Thanks again for the advice!

-No Hope
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 20:51

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap