GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 16:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • LBS/INSEAD/Cambridge R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

06:00 AM PST

07:00 AM PST

One of our senior forum members, subirroy, recently got accepted at LBS, INSEAD, and Cambridge in Round 1. He accepted our invitation to share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.
  • Personal MBA Coach’s Top 4 Tips For MBA Applicants

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Reflecting back on the tips I have provided again and again, I want to share my top 4 “words of wisdom” for MBA applicants.

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '21 (S)
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 12:39
Hi there,

I am planning on targeting the top 10 schools for the 2019 intake but have a few doubts that I will like to clarify before moving forward with the next steps -

1. Indian male with 3 years of work experience
2. GMAT score - 730
3. Weakness - Undergrad from a poor college in India with average GPA. I am an engineer with B.Tech in Computer Science
4. Strength - My weakness can be explained because of my health condition during those years. I was a model student from the start with 95% in Xth standard and was doing well in XIth also before being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, that made me hospitalised for almost a year. I started barely walking couple of months before XIIth exams but got 87% in them. Unfortunately didn't have time to prepare for engineering entrance exams and hence the undergrad school.
Though I have been making up for it since graduating with some really good work experience in the last 3 years. I have been an early stage key employee in one of India's leading digital entertainment companies, funded by the likes of Sequoia Capital. After doing various tasks from video production to marketing to recruiting, I along with the co-founders started the business development team and have helped in scaling that team from 2 to almost 15 now, spanning in 3 different cities. So work ex includes starting from entry position to the managerial level, doing multiple tasks across verticals with an entrepreneurial angle. My letter of recommendations will directly come from the co-founders, who are alumnus of top schools like Wharton and Princeton

A. How do I know if my profile is good enough for like these top 5 B-schools? Most seem to take into account good undergrad school and GPA and I am lacking in these despita having valid reasons or a very good growth story after graduating.

B. How to go on about school research as that seems to be one of the most important part of the application in terms showing a positive cultural fit. How to decide what the best schools for you are and not just go by the rankings?
Intern
Intern
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 11:27
Hi,

I am planning to target B-Schools from US, Canada and Singapore for the intake of 2019. Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest the next steps

Indian Male, 33 years
Qualifications: B. Arch IIT Roorkee
Work Experience: Overall 9 years of experience, currently Vice President – Real Estate Investments at a financial services company in Mumbai

GMAT 700-720 Estimated - Actual Test date: Oct 2018
Interested in: Full-time MBA and MS / MiM programs
Geography / Class Start Year preference: USA / Canada / Singapore / Hong Kong for classes starting in Feb 2019 or later

I firmly believe that my strong professional experience coupled with my involvement in diverse extracurricular activities and leadership skills make my profile unique.
At my undergraduate college at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, I contested for and was initially elected Hostel Secretary and later elected Vice President of Student Affairs Council. In those positions, I had a number of responsibilities in addition to undertaking a number of initiatives that helped improve the standard of hostel life for my peers and successfully organize college fests.
Armed with a Bachelors of Architecture from one of the most reputed technical institutions of India, I started my professional career as a project management consultant with Jones Lang LaSalle in Bangalore, India. During this tenure, I was responsible for managing the construction of a Platinum rated LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified commercial building in Bangalore for an American multinational corporation, which was the world’s largest provider of data-storage systems. Serving in challenging client-facing roles, combined with the many leadership opportunities that were presented to me, honed my people-management, time-management, and communication skills. Further, I was handpicked to lead the Business development efforts for my vertical in the South Indian region. It served as a perfect platform to gain industry insights and provided me with an opportunity to closely interact with other verticals within the organisation.
Post a fulfilling stint at Jones Lang LaSalle, I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to work for a fast growing financial services company in Mumbai. Here, I was entrusted to be a part of the founding team for the Structured Finance desk specializing in Real Estate funding. The Cumulative value of transactions executed by me would be in excess of INR 5 Bn. Within a short span of time, I positioned myself as a subject-matter expert in the real estate finance vertical as I had the technical knowledge of the sector by virtue of being a qualified architect and I had quickly developed the acumen of a financial analyst. I was also recognized with several awards and an ahead-of-track promotion.
My quest to expand on the horizontal knowledge areas still motivates me to consider an MBA. Fully aware of the risk of letting go of a very rewarding career and the significant investment and opportunity costs involved, I have decided to step out of my comfort zone and experience a holistic learning opportunity.
With this learning in my pocket already, I look forward to the many more pockets that I have yet to fill while I expand my career in real estate to position myself as an astute investment and asset management professional in the global real estate arena.

• Will it be disadvantageous for me to pursue a regular MBA programme in any of the B-schools considering that I have more than 9 years of prior work experience? I am keen on opting for a full time program only.
• Can you suggest some top B-schools in US, Canada and Singapore where I should apply considering my profile?
• Do you think I should pursue a regular MBA program or I should also consider other programs like Masters in Real Estate Finance/Masters in Finance or any other program that may be well suited for my profile?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 11:17
Hi anulfc,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear about your health challenges during school. You can definitely explain that in the Optional Essay. It won't change your GPA or make it less important, but it gives the adcomm helpful context on why you were struggling. And luckily your GMAT is a strong, recent indicator of your abilities.

Your work experience sounds very strong -- lots of leadership and impressive results.

Without seeing the full details of your application, it's hard for me to speculate on your chances. I'd say top 10 schools are possible for you but depend on a lot of other factors, execution of your essays/written materials being a big factor, but also things like community involvement, and how troubling your GPA is. But give them a shot and make sure you have some reasonable backup options too.

Best way to get to know the schools is to visit, but if that's not possible, then talk to people in your network (current students, alums). See if the school is traveling near you and hosting any info sessions, or has online webinars you can attend. You can also read our very thorough Insider's Guides here: https://shop.mbamission.com/collections ... r-s-guides

Hope this helps!
Kate

anulfc wrote:
Hi there,

I am planning on targeting the top 10 schools for the 2019 intake but have a few doubts that I will like to clarify before moving forward with the next steps -

1. Indian male with 3 years of work experience
2. GMAT score - 730
3. Weakness - Undergrad from a poor college in India with average GPA. I am an engineer with B.Tech in Computer Science
4. Strength - My weakness can be explained because of my health condition during those years. I was a model student from the start with 95% in Xth standard and was doing well in XIth also before being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, that made me hospitalised for almost a year. I started barely walking couple of months before XIIth exams but got 87% in them. Unfortunately didn't have time to prepare for engineering entrance exams and hence the undergrad school.
Though I have been making up for it since graduating with some really good work experience in the last 3 years. I have been an early stage key employee in one of India's leading digital entertainment companies, funded by the likes of Sequoia Capital. After doing various tasks from video production to marketing to recruiting, I along with the co-founders started the business development team and have helped in scaling that team from 2 to almost 15 now, spanning in 3 different cities. So work ex includes starting from entry position to the managerial level, doing multiple tasks across verticals with an entrepreneurial angle. My letter of recommendations will directly come from the co-founders, who are alumnus of top schools like Wharton and Princeton

A. How do I know if my profile is good enough for like these top 5 B-schools? Most seem to take into account good undergrad school and GPA and I am lacking in these despita having valid reasons or a very good growth story after graduating.

B. How to go on about school research as that seems to be one of the most important part of the application in terms showing a positive cultural fit. How to decide what the best schools for you are and not just go by the rankings?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 11:26
Hi Ninjaz,

A few follow-up questions...what was your undergrad GPA? Do you have any leadership / community involvement outside of work?

That will help me evaluate your profile better but at first glance your work experience is very strong. JLL is well known and it sounds like you've had great opportunities there and with your current firm to stretch your skills and build an expertise in real estate finance. With 9 years and already at a VP level, you are above average experience wise for a traditional 2 year MBA program. It doesn't mean it's not possible to get in, but it does make it more challenging. Make sure you have clear reasons for why that type of program is a best fit for you. Look at schools that tend to have wider age ranges too -- UCLA is one that comes to mind, as are programs outside the US.

In terms of programs that are strong in real estate in the US, you may want to check out Cornell, UNC, Columbia, UCLA, NYU, USC. I don't know as much about the MFin programs but I would guess that your profile may fit better but your post-degree career options would be narrower. Worth looking into though!

Good luck!
Kate

Ninjaz wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to target B-Schools from US, Canada and Singapore for the intake of 2019. Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest the next steps

Indian Male, 33 years
Qualifications: B. Arch IIT Roorkee
Work Experience: Overall 9 years of experience, currently Vice President – Real Estate Investments at a financial services company in Mumbai

GMAT 700-720 Estimated - Actual Test date: Oct 2018
Interested in: Full-time MBA and MS / MiM programs
Geography / Class Start Year preference: USA / Canada / Singapore / Hong Kong for classes starting in Feb 2019 or later

I firmly believe that my strong professional experience coupled with my involvement in diverse extracurricular activities and leadership skills make my profile unique.
At my undergraduate college at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, I contested for and was initially elected Hostel Secretary and later elected Vice President of Student Affairs Council. In those positions, I had a number of responsibilities in addition to undertaking a number of initiatives that helped improve the standard of hostel life for my peers and successfully organize college fests.
Armed with a Bachelors of Architecture from one of the most reputed technical institutions of India, I started my professional career as a project management consultant with Jones Lang LaSalle in Bangalore, India. During this tenure, I was responsible for managing the construction of a Platinum rated LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified commercial building in Bangalore for an American multinational corporation, which was the world’s largest provider of data-storage systems. Serving in challenging client-facing roles, combined with the many leadership opportunities that were presented to me, honed my people-management, time-management, and communication skills. Further, I was handpicked to lead the Business development efforts for my vertical in the South Indian region. It served as a perfect platform to gain industry insights and provided me with an opportunity to closely interact with other verticals within the organisation.
Post a fulfilling stint at Jones Lang LaSalle, I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to work for a fast growing financial services company in Mumbai. Here, I was entrusted to be a part of the founding team for the Structured Finance desk specializing in Real Estate funding. The Cumulative value of transactions executed by me would be in excess of INR 5 Bn. Within a short span of time, I positioned myself as a subject-matter expert in the real estate finance vertical as I had the technical knowledge of the sector by virtue of being a qualified architect and I had quickly developed the acumen of a financial analyst. I was also recognized with several awards and an ahead-of-track promotion.
My quest to expand on the horizontal knowledge areas still motivates me to consider an MBA. Fully aware of the risk of letting go of a very rewarding career and the significant investment and opportunity costs involved, I have decided to step out of my comfort zone and experience a holistic learning opportunity.
With this learning in my pocket already, I look forward to the many more pockets that I have yet to fill while I expand my career in real estate to position myself as an astute investment and asset management professional in the global real estate arena.

• Will it be disadvantageous for me to pursue a regular MBA programme in any of the B-schools considering that I have more than 9 years of prior work experience? I am keen on opting for a full time program only.
• Can you suggest some top B-schools in US, Canada and Singapore where I should apply considering my profile?
• Do you think I should pursue a regular MBA program or I should also consider other programs like Masters in Real Estate Finance/Masters in Finance or any other program that may be well suited for my profile?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap