Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
MBA Profile Evaluation - Unsure Regarding Next Steps [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AnthonyD88 wrote:
Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read - happy to answer any questions for further clarification.

I've just sat my first GMAT exam and unfortunately didn't get my target score of 700 (got a 660). My headache is this: I've just spent the last 4 months intensely studying for the exam because I'm conscious R1 for INSEAD Jan 2025 is opening soon - I wanted to do the original rather than Focus as I imagine the large majority of my cohort will be using original, hence didn't want to be at a 'visual' disadvantage. I don't know whether I should buckle down over the next 2 months and learn the Focus edition and attempt a 635-645, then apply for R2 - R3 admissions, or dedicate the next month to writing an excellent personal statement, alongside strong recommendation from successful INSEAD alumni, and just trying my luck.

Qualifications: University of Warwick (Bsc Management, 2:1 score)

GMAT: 660 (Q45, V35, IR6)

Work Experience:
1. Associate Director doing TMT Corporate Banking at a global bank in London (HSBC/Barclays/Citi) for 1.5 years
2. Analyst on the graduate programme at the same bank for 2 years, working in Real Estate, Franchising

Post-MBA Goals:
1. Strategy consulting in MBB, the focus is Aisa (Singapore/ Hong Kong)
2. Investment banking (London, Singapore)

Target schools: INSEAD (France/Singapore split), LBS

Unique Profile:
- International background; German/Cantonese mix, grew up across 3 countries in Asia, can speak English, German, Chinese
- Strong work experience (managing e.g. FAANG, FTSE100 clients, financial analysis, pitchbooks etc) and consistent growth (strong promotion)
- Tutoring as a side job (Reviewing undergraduate/masters application letters, coursework essay tutoring)
- Leadership experience in University (president of society focusing on helping students secure Finance jobs in Asia)
- Involvement in tennis societies

Side note: spent 6 years growing up in Singapore so wonder if that plays a role in my INSEAD Singapore application - e.g. wanting to come 'home' after studying/working abroad for 6-7 years

Thank you!

Hi AnthonyD88

Your overall profile seems fine. However, your GMAT holds a key role in your applications. We would recommend attempting the GMAT FE and applying for R2. An analysis by the popular MBA forum GMAT Club shows only a slight variation in acceptance rates at top US MBA schools between Rounds 1 and 2. It revealed a slight increase in acceptances for international students in Round 2.

However, a call with our MBA consultants will help you plan your narrative better for your essays. You can schedule your free 1st call with our MBA consultants here

You can also connect with the team via call at +91 7780769732
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation - Unsure Regarding Next Steps [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello AnthonyD88,

I hope you are doing well. Your impressive academic and professional pedigree, coupled with a distinct international background and focused post-MBA vision, position you well for INSEAD. However, a GMAT score below their average could hold you back in Round 1.

Navigate this hurdle by choosing between:
Showcasing your exceptional fit through a powerful application package - highlight your strengths, leverage strong alumni recommendations, and tailor your essays to each campus for Round 1. Embrace the potential for a slightly lower acceptance rate compared to later rounds.

Investing in the Focus GMAT and aiming for a 635+ score - this opens doors to INSEAD's R2/R3 and potentially other top schools like LBS. Be prepared for a slightly delayed timeline, but enjoy increased competitiveness and broader options.

Ultimately, the choice hinges on your risk tolerance, GMAT retake confidence, and application strength. Analyze both paths carefully and make the decision that propels you towards your desired future. Remember, with your impressive profile and thoughtful planning, success at INSEAD or other top schools is well within reach.

Go forth and conquer!

Book a free profile evaluation call now with Alums and Current students of top B-schools!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

AnthonyD88 wrote:
Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read - happy to answer any questions for further clarification.

I've just sat my first GMAT exam and unfortunately didn't get my target score of 700 (got a 660). My headache is this: I've just spent the last 4 months intensely studying for the exam because I'm conscious R1 for INSEAD Jan 2025 is opening soon - I wanted to do the original rather than Focus as I imagine the large majority of my cohort will be using original, hence didn't want to be at a 'visual' disadvantage. I don't know whether I should buckle down over the next 2 months and learn the Focus edition and attempt a 635-645, then apply for R2 - R3 admissions, or dedicate the next month to writing an excellent personal statement, alongside strong recommendation from successful INSEAD alumni, and just trying my luck.

Work Experience:
1. Associate Director doing TMT Corporate Banking at a global bank in London (HSBC/Barclays/Citi) for 1.5 years
2. Analyst on the graduate programme at the same bank for 2 years, working in Real Estate, Franchising

Post-MBA Goals:

Unique Profile:
- International background; German/Cantonese mix, grew up across 3 countries in Asia, can speak English, German, Chinese
- Strong work experience (managing e.g. FAANG, FTSE100 clients, financial analysis, pitchbooks etc) and consistent growth (strong promotion)
- Tutoring as a side job (Reviewing undergraduate/masters application letters, coursework essay tutoring)
- Leadership experience in University (president of society focusing on helping students secure Finance jobs in Asia)

Side note: spent 6 years growing up in Singapore so wonder if that plays a role in my INSEAD Singapore application - e.g. wanting to come 'home' after studying/working abroad for 6-7 years

Thank you!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

AnthonyD88 wrote:

Work Experience:

Post-MBA Goals:

Unique Profile:

Thank you!

Hello AnthonyD88,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

Considering you are targetting INSEAD, a 660 on the GMAT will fall short; this is despite the fact that you have some strong talking points in your profile; to amplify your chances, you must retake the GMAT FE and apply in a later round with an improved score.

In short, you must write an excellent statement, irrespective of your GMAT score; each component of your application will have its own weight and one will not compensate for another.

Hope this helps!

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot