GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 17:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA query

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
MBA query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 13:57
Hii need some advice my age is 33 having 10 years exp in merchant Navy..what is the job opportunity after doing MBA from isb..by the time if I do MBA from isb I would be 35yrs old..Am I too late for MBA..during placement do companies considers age also..tia

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: MBA query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 22:43
Hello nexussahal

Several candidates from merchant navy end up joining ISB and transition into corporate jobs related to Supply Chain, Operations, Manufacturing/Production, People Management/Org Behavior, General Management and at times Consulting. (This list is mostly in a descending order., Mostly.)
An age of 33 is definitely higher than the average age of ISB, but that should not deter you, if an MBA really fits into your career plans. While 27-28 is the average age of ISB candidates that also means there are students aged 24 and students aged 40.
You can research here whether you really need an MBA.
What will matter more to ISB & recruiting companies is what you have done in these 10 years. Your career progression, achievements, real business impact Plus your future goals and how an MBA is an absolute necessity to achieve said goals.
And in case you have a real need the One Year program at IIM A/B/C might be better suited (will need to know more about the profile). You may want to explore that too.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

nexussahal wrote:
Hii need some advice my age is 33 having 10 years exp in merchant Navy..what is the job opportunity after doing MBA from isb..by the time if I do MBA from isb I would be 35yrs old..Am I too late for MBA..during placement do companies considers age also..tia

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Manager
Manager
B
MBA query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 23:25
nexussahal wrote:

Hi nexussahal, neither your age nor your experience, in any way suggest that you are over the hill. Generally Operations profiles suit people with Merchant Navy background and there are decent jobs on offer.

However, since you are having these thoughts at this stage, I am assuming that you've not started preparation for GMAT as yet (at least, not in earnest).

That is the single most important thing you should be focusing over the next few months. In my experience, the number of applicants from Merchant Navy background, has been rising over the years and so, you should target a 700+ on GMAT, for a veritable chance.

http://www.ISBeacon.com

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 23:54
Thanks for your reply. May I know what salary package merchant Navy students are getting after passing out from isb

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 04:48
nexussahal wrote:

Hi nexussahal,

Thanks for posting here.

As mentioned above, a number of individuals from the navy take up roles in operations, supply-chain, logistics with leading MNCs. Frankly, this is quite a 'popular' trajectory at ISB.
Having said that, there is no doubt that your age is way above the average age at ISB and the same goes for your work experience, as well. Nonetheless, this should not stop you from applying to ISB, particularly, if ISB fits in with your plans and if you can showcase a need for an MBA in order to arrive at your goals.

If the above is the case, you will need to focus on getting a strong GMAT score, as well put forth a set of promising essays that speak of your skill-set, career progression, and, above all, portray a set of goals that are in strong sync with your existing experience.

To sum it up, we have taken people even older than you to ISB so you're never too late! :-)

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, do reach out to us!

Good Luck!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 04:53
My friend this has no simple answer. Will highly depend on the role, company, industry, and past profile.
You can always browse the website to see what sort of placement trends are happening in Supply Chain/Operations (but only if that is your goal)
However stats will always conceal more than they reveal.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

nexussahal wrote:
Thanks for your reply. May I know what salary package merchant Navy students are getting after passing out from isb

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 05:12
Top Contributor
nexussahal wrote:

Hi nexxussahal

- It is the amount of experience that matters more, and at 10 years, while you do have substantially more than the average, there are others who have made it with as much experience in the past. 5-8% of ISB's class every year (~roughly 60 to 100 people) has 8+ years of experience.
- At the point of placement, companies will consider experience and relevant skills. Age is also considered to an extent, as you cannot be assigned to roles that are also being given to people 4-5 years younger (Consulting is the exception here).
- In terms of job opportunities, if you are already close to the Chief Officer role, it is unlikely that your salary will rise post-ISB (in fact, it may even fall slightly). However, don't look at jobs only from a salary perspective. In the long-term, an MBA will give you more growth, and the chance to move to on-shore roles. In the past, people have got good roles in Consulting/SCM post ISB with a Merchant Navy background.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 11:08
Presently I am working as a 1st asst engineer. Just a level below cheif engineer. Though I already have class 1 coc from dg shipping of India to serve as chief engineer. Which field from MBA will suit best to me seeing my exp in marine engineering . Tia

SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 21:29
Top Contributor
nexussahal wrote:
Presently I am working as a 1st asst engineer. Just a level below cheif engineer. Though I already have class 1 coc from dg shipping of India to serve as chief engineer. Which field from MBA will suit best to me seeing my exp in marine engineering . Tia

Operations and SCM is the major one, even though you have been on the engineering and not the navigational side. However, consulting options remain open.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA query &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2018, 21:29

MBA query

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap