GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA30: Admission decision with score 630

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
MBA30: Admission decision with score 630  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 15:14
Hi,

Can anyone please help me decide whether to proceed with R1 applications with score 630 (Q 47, V 29)?
My brief background: 34 years age, completed 11 years in IT consulting in financial sector with 7 years in UK (managing multi £ projects, trained > 100 associates, mentor for > 10, exposure to business development), > 85% across 10th, 12th and UG degree, inter school participation in co-curricular activities, associated with different charities over the years. Project Experience: EU & UK regulations, big data & data analytics and digital integration.
I am interested in general management with strategy and analytics electives that would help me advance to next level. I am looking for European (incl UK) and US schools.

Cheers
Abhi
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton
Re: MBA30: Admission decision with score 630  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 21:22
Hi abhiready4u,

You should aim for a better score, at least the median score of the school. Writing multiple applications will be lot of work, and it may not amount to much if your score pulls your application down.

Moreover, you’ll be an outlier in terms of years of experience for most full-time programs, and you would need a strong justification for why you need a full-time MBA at this stage of your career. European schools will be better bet for you as they tend to be less hard-nosed on GMAT and more accommodative of older applicants. But there too you’ll need a stronger GMAT (than your current score) for good schools. You may find this article relevant:

Are You 30+? MBA Programs May Have 3 Concerns on Your Application

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 18:23
When looking at your profile the first thing that came to mind was you seem like a better fit given your work experience and GMAT score. 2Y MBA programs will wonder if they can offer you the type of roles post-MBA that someone with your experience would be interested in. Also, EMBA programs will have less of a focus on your GMAT. I would suggest doing some research on if an EMBA program i right for you. Also, I would retake the GMAT if you can improve your score, which would help a lot if you go the 2Y route and the EMBA route either way

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Admission Consultant
P
MBA30: Admission decision with score 630  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jul 2017, 00:20
abhiready4u wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone please help me decide whether to proceed with R1 applications with score 630 (Q 47, V 29)?
My brief background: 34 years age, completed 11 years in IT consulting in financial sector with 7 years in UK (managing multi £ projects, trained > 100 associates, mentor for > 10, exposure to business development), > 85% across 10th, 12th and UG degree, inter school participation in co-curricular activities, associated with different charities over the years. Project Experience: EU & UK regulations, big data & data analytics and digital integration.
I am interested in general management with strategy and analytics electives that would help me advance to next level. I am looking for European (incl UK) and US schools.

Cheers
Abhi

Abhi,

As you stay in the UK, I'd ask you to look at EMBA. Your current GMAT score albeit low will fly at EMBA programs. Moreover, you will still have a job while studying - this proposition is great considering the volatile visa scenario for Indians in UK (assuming you have an Indian passport).

Also look at MBA programs beyond the top 3 (LBS, SAID, Judge) where the GMAT will not be an application killer. Almost all UK programs have a profile evaluation facility. I'd ask you to submit your profile to target programs (including the top 3) and get their views on your candidature and what job prospects do they offer you.

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS

Originally posted by MBADecoder on 06 Jul 2017, 00:14.
Last edited by MBADecoder on 06 Jul 2017, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 00:18
Consider a few more thought Abhi on your profile:
  1. The work experience, at a high level sounds good. But it would be important to understand achievements/differentiators therein. IT Consulting can mean both the tech side or the business side - where do you stand? The latter obviously would make more impact in your profile.
  2. The post-MBA plan needs to have more clarity too. Do you mean you want to continue in your current career trajectory but faster? If yes, then an EMBA might be a good idea if your employer is open to that.
  3. At your age/experience, you should ideally target programs that are a good fit. In that sense, apart from IMD/Judge, you may also want to learn more about specialized programs such as LSB Fellows/Stan MSx/Sloan Fellows.
  4. Finally, the current GMAT score is likely to be a big hurdle for most good programs; even EMBAs to a certain extent. So a re-take is definitely recommended. However before that, make sure you are clear on some of the above things too.

Hope this helps some

Cheers,

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA30: Admission decision with score 630   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2017, 00:18

MBA30: Admission decision with score 630

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap