Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school to attend?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q46 V35
WE:Public Relations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q46 V35
WE:Public Relations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
Re: McCombs vs. Foster vs. Owen [#permalink]
MaryBelBr wrote:
PugLyfe wrote:
Mccombs is easily the strongest program out of this bunch, but for your goals, I would actually lean towards Foster. Foster has the strongest marketing/brand management placement out of these three as far as I am aware. Additionally, I am sure you know that these schools are all strong regionally. If the west coast is your goal, that's another plus for Foster. Not an easy decision for you to make when considering $$, but its important that the school can help you reach your goals.

Also, I would try to reach out to Foster and see if they're willing to negotiate scholarship $. Owen moved ahead in the rankings and if theyre offering you a sizable amount of money, try to get Foster to play ball.

Interesting. Thanks for the opinion. Scholarship isn't happening at Foster - I already wrote them just to see if it would be possible. Foster is probably last one my list right now, because even though I want to get out to the West coast eventually with my fiancé, I look at all of the statistics and it seems like the salaries and recruiting are pretty similar across schools. Add in the fact that I really liked all of the people at Owen, the structure of the program, and my cost of attendance would be lower, and I'm really leaning towards Owen. McCombs is an interesting one, but I'm wondering if it will pay off to take on so much more debt to finance my education.

Obviously, I am biased towards Owen in general. I will be attending in the fall. My opinion about Foster was due to your particular set of goals. Foster places 38% into marketing/brand mgmt roles and the jobs are largely on the west coast. That's twice as many as either Owen or Mccombs. However, I understand the scholarship money is a big consideration. You just have to realize that you're making a concession somewhere. It's either going to be with the debt or potential job/company/location post grad. The good thing about your scholarship offer from Owen is that the freedom from debt allows you more flexibility with what you do after graduation.

If you ultimately decide on Owen, I will see you there in the fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
As a recent Owen grad, I'll provide just a bit of perspective. If scholarship were a push, I would suggest trusting your gut and feeling out which program feels more comfortable. Particular as an international applicant, I cannot stress enough how important it is to feel a sense of community. If you feel lost in the program or don't know if the fit is right, it can affect how your two years go by.

I also wanted to weigh in on placement on the west coast. I'm in California, along with several other classmates. We've got a great group in brand marketing, ranging from toys, biotechs, entertainment, and med devices, just over the past 2 years. Although PugLyfe has very valid stats on placement %, recognize that geographic preference plays a major role. If more people wanted to wind up out west, they could have signed with a company out west. As Owen becomes more and more of a national brand, it fractures the concentration in a given market.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, but otherwise best of luck in your decision!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would go with Owen, the scholarship money, coupled with your overall fit with the culture of the program. I would trust your gut here!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts