Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 07:09 It is currently 08 May 2024, 07:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Re: Midwest Candidate - Visiting Schools? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey kommitted,

Yes, about 50% attend the QS events, the other 50% show up to on-campus program events - but all do something to engage the admissions committee on a face to face basis.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

kommitted wrote:
Paul, thanks for the awesome advice. The QS MBA World tour sounds interesting - do any of your clients have experience with that?

Thanks.

PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey kommitted,

Thanks for reaching out to me. This is actually a really good question and I can shed some light.

The purpose of any school visit is to provide any applicant the opportunity for a one-stop shop. You show up and you get to speak with students, sit in on a class, say hi to the adcom, and demonstrate your interest - fully – in a day. It's rather convenient.

However, there are many different ways that you can demonstrate interest. When taken in totality, the sum of parts can equal (if not exceed) the whole.

Instead of visiting the school, take a shot at the following:

Determine if and when the school's admissions committee will hold an alternative event in your city, online or through another organization, such as an alumni club or conference. Let's say it's an alumni club event, do you have a way in? Know any alumni from the b-school? Try LinkedIn, it's good for things like this. Hell, if it is a conference and just buy a ticket and show up. The most important thing is if you do show up – that you engage alumni, and any representative of the school.

Determine when the QS World MBA Tour is coming to a city near you. They do a few circuits around the US every year, as well as international. Go to https://www.topmba.com/mba-events.

Locate the current students who are members of clubs and organizations that you be a part of (should you gain acceptance to the school). Look for club members that share similar experiences to your own background. Email 2 to 3 club members to establish a dialog. Talk to them on the phone if you can - or at least maintaing a dialog via email. Are any of them from your metro area or hometown? Will any of them be back in the town during the winter break? If so, ask if any one of them would like to have lunch or dinner or simply meet up.

Comb through your own contacts - who do you know that has gone to that MBA program? A friend? A friend of a friend? That one guy at work who you never talk to? Invite them to a lunch. Engage them. MBA students love talking about themselves ... Lol.

The first thing I would do after you read this post is to log onto to each school's application and create a dummy application. Review the application in its entirety and look to see how each b-school asks "how have you engaged the school." As you mentioned, CBS does ask you to list names of "current" students. They don't need you to list names of alums you spoke within, but remember - you most certainly can list the names of these alumni in an essay for example - just as long as it does not turn into a name dropping exercise.

The bottom line is that you most certainly can demonstrate your sincere interest in a school and without having to travel to that school. Not everyone has a flexible work schedule and not everyone has the money. There is no shame in that, but you may have to work a little harder to show a sincere interest. But through the process, you will know much, much more about that b-school than someone who just showed up for a one-day class visit. This will not only pay dividends in your essays, but also during the interview. This is because you will know so much more about that's cool, why it is right for you, and what you bring to the program.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

kommitted wrote:
Hello,

I know similar topics have been discussed ad nauseam, but, I wanted to make sure I asked here, since I couldn't find the exact answer to my question.

I live in a Mid-west town and if I need to visit the schools I apply to (except Booth and Kellogg), I'll have to take at least two days off work and spend at least $800 on each school visit. I know most adcoms explicitly mention that a campus visit is not going to be considered when making admission decisions, but many of them - to my understanding - nonetheless ask if I visited or talked to students (Columbia/Stern do, if I remember right). So, I'd like to make sure I leave no stone unturned.

Would adcoms understand my situation without my mentioning it, if I don't make a visit? Would that in any way affect my admit chances in lets say any of the M7 schools?

Thanks in advance for answering.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
That's helpful. Thanks Paul.

PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey kommitted,

Yes, about 50% attend the QS events, the other 50% show up to on-campus program events - but all do something to engage the admissions committee on a face to face basis.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

GMAT Club Bot