It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 21:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 13:54
mrsandoo617 wrote:
LgoLady wrote:
windsor1007 No, I am just officially down to, I am not going to take anybody's crap for no reason. I never implied "she did it first", I just said if you take an unnecessary shot at me, I will respond fittingly. I responded in such a manner cz politeness didn't seem to have an effect on this person.

I have a stressful job and two children and yet its weird what drained my patience is an online forum where people don't know how to put an end to a worthless subject. I hope this can be the end of it.

I wasn't justifying what ddtmm was saying. Quite the contrary. What he said crossed the line. But I would have expected more from LGO students.

I will end with this thought. I don't know if you are having a bad day at work, but I would caution against feeling the need to respond fittingly to strangers taking unnecessary shots at you. As you progress through your career and go into more visible leadership positions, people will take unnecessary shots at you. Whether that is out of pure jealousy at your success, or because they don't like the way you dress or talk, it will happen. There are bitter people in this world and that's a fact of life.

People lose jobs over a single tweet. Don't be that person because you lost your temper. Plenty of executives getting axed because they lost their cool in public.

Alright, taking mrsandoo617's advice to heart.

Last edited by windsor1007 on 07 Mar 2017, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
Lol. I was trying to heed my own advice and be careful of what I say in public :-D

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 3

WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 19:01
This post received
KUDOS
Not so subtly changing the direction of conversation...

Those of you who got a spot this year: were any of you changing engineering tracks? I applied for MechE because I thought it was more in line with what I'm doing/want to do later and the ChemE track is very focused on Biotech (not a huge desire for me). I would definitely say my crossover courses could be improved upon and there are likely some pre-req gaps I could fill to make myself more competitive.

If you did switch, have you taken any courses since graduating with your bachelors? If so, what would you recommend? The best I can come up with MIT OCW because most of the MOOCs (EdX, Coursera, etc.) don't necessarily have the specific courses I would be looking for.

Fingers crossed for LGO Class of 2020 or 2021! (Unless the hand of God touches me and I somehow get in to HBS)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT-LGO '19 (D)
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 19:22
ChemEng2013 wrote:
Not so subtly changing the direction of conversation...

Those of you who got a spot this year: were any of you changing engineering tracks? I applied for MechE because I thought it was more in line with what I'm doing/want to do later and the ChemE track is very focused on Biotech (not a huge desire for me). I would definitely say my crossover courses could be improved upon and there are likely some pre-req gaps I could fill to make myself more competitive.

If you did switch, have you taken any courses since graduating with your bachelors? If so, what would you recommend? The best I can come up with MIT OCW because most of the MOOCs (EdX, Coursera, etc.) don't necessarily have the specific courses I would be looking for.

Fingers crossed for LGO Class of 2020 or 2021! (Unless the hand of God touches me and I somehow get in to HBS)

Hey! We'll be on the forum again next year together. :)

I'm staying with my supply chain track. I was going to do MechE, but I don't have the 2 classes they require.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 19:25
And to follow up on @ChemEng2013's question, any admits going for the EECS track with a concentration on the software/data side? I'm wondering whether my career interests were not as operations-focused as the typical LGO applicant. That being said, I mentioned my interests in essays and was still invited to interview, so it's probably more likely that other interviewees were simply a better fit.

Best of luck to everyone waiting on other decisions! There's still a chance on HBS ChemEng2013!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 05:44
I got a ding and I applied for the EECS track with the goal of pursuing a career in the entrepreneurship. I was also mildly surprised when they invited me for an interview even though I expressed my interests in a career that didn't strictly fit the criteria of a candidate trying to build a career in operations. I really wanted to join the program because was the benefit of gaining expertise in both engineering and business. I guess they ultimately figured I wouldn't be the best candidate because from what I gathered the program was designed to cater to partnered companies, none of which by the way had a single IT company, so they obviously would have to select someone who would be a good fit for those companies too. Doing an Internship in one of those partnered companies was apparently a big part of the program and the generous amount of scholarships offered to accepted students was possibly largely funded by them.

Anyway I'm still very disappointed I wasn't able to get into the program, but I guess there were applicants that were more deserving for this program then I was.

I would love to know if there's anyone who applied to the EECS track with similar aspirations and still got admitted.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 11:12
Yea I had a similar story. I was interested in management of software/data analytics teams (probably product-focused) in the short term, and entrepreneurship within a few years. I talked about three partner companies that aligned with my interests and roles/initiatives I liked at each, but it was probably concluded that my goals lay too far outside those of the preferred LGO student.

That being said, I think LGO would have been a great fit for my career goals, allowing me to continue exploring software and data concepts while gaining business experience. It seems like SDM would also be a good fit -- perhaps for both of us. Maybe I'll try again next year.

I talked to at least one other candidate at InterviewFest who had a similar goal, but I'm not sure whether she was accepted. I am curious to hear stories from admits in EECS.

Last edited by tech2mba2017 on 09 Mar 2017, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 11:28
Sorry for the slight change in topic, but anyone know if LGO sends out a welcome package in the mail? I've heard they mail LGO goodies, but might be wrong. I just want to know whether to expect good things in the mail haha.

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Schools: MIT-LGO '19 (M)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 12:41
sbuxkid wrote:
Sorry for the slight change in topic, but anyone know if LGO sends out a welcome package in the mail? I've heard they mail LGO goodies, but might be wrong. I just want to know whether to expect good things in the mail haha.

They do. I got a FedEx email saying it was delivered today actually. Check the LGO Instagram to see what they look like. Hoping for some nice swag when I get home from work!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 13:32
tech2mba2017 wrote:
Yea I had a similar story. I was interested in management of software/data analytics teams (probably product-focused) in the short term, and entrepreneurship within a few years. I talked about three partner companies that aligned with my interests and roles/initiatives I liked at each, but it was probably concluded that my goals lied too far outside those of the preferred LGO student.

That being said, I think LGO would have been a great fit for my career goals, allowing me to continue exploring software and data concepts while gaining business experience. It seems like SDM would also be a good fit -- perhaps for both of us. Maybe I'll try again next year.

I talked to at least one other candidate at InterviewFest who had a similar goal, but I'm not sure whether she was accepted. I am curious to hear stories from admits in EECS.

I have the same question as you both. I had similar more product focused career vision.. not necessarily in the operations track. Also, I am currently working in the states on an h1-b. Wondering if that played a part too in terms of catering to the partner companies.

I know novakDjokovic was eecs but not sure what he stated his career vision to be.

Anyone with h1-b or aspiring to be h1-b got admitted?

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 18:34
If what I'm speculating is correct, I don't know if I'll apply again. Really wish they would make the classroom more diverse and accept people with career goals other than operations. It's such a good program and has such a narrow focus :(. Really envoy of all of you that got accepted.

Yas2017 I don't think your visa status was a factor. They would have been explicit about he issue for international applicants

Those that were unfortunate, anyone going to Sloan if they get accepted?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 19:32
ADC4 wrote:
sbuxkid wrote:

They do. I got a FedEx email saying it was delivered today actually. Check the LGO Instagram to see what they look like. Hoping for some nice swag when I get home from work!

Yay! Love waiting for packages in the mail. Hope you liked your swag and hopefully get some time off well in advance of school!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Technology
GRE 1: 327 Q165 V162
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 20:37
Yas2017 wrote:
tech2mba2017 wrote:
Yea I had a similar story. I was interested in management of software/data analytics teams (probably product-focused) in the short term, and entrepreneurship within a few years. I talked about three partner companies that aligned with my interests and roles/initiatives I liked at each, but it was probably concluded that my goals lied too far outside those of the preferred LGO student.

I have the same question as you both. I had similar more product focused career vision.. not necessarily in the operations track. Also, I am currently working in the states on an h1-b. Wondering if that played a part too in terms of catering to the partner companies.

I know novakDjokovic was eecs but not sure what he stated his career vision to be.

Yes I am EECS and definitely going to aim for Product Management. Did my UG in hardcore EE and hoping to take this as opportunity to move more into ML and AI as my engineering courses.

BTW a bit confused as to what the "Applicant ID" is supposed to be for the Revera form... is this the "MIT ID" we see on the acceptance page or the "Application ID" ?? Instruction says "please use the PIN you were emailed to create your Kerberos" but I don't seem to be able to dig up any emails about Kerberos?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 20:44
freddiek wrote:
I got a ding and I applied for the EECS track with the goal of pursuing a career in the entrepreneurship. I was also mildly surprised when they invited me for an interview even though I expressed my interests in a career that didn't strictly fit the criteria of a candidate trying to build a career in operations. I really wanted to join the program because was the benefit of gaining expertise in both engineering and business. I guess they ultimately figured I wouldn't be the best candidate because from what I gathered the program was designed to cater to partnered companies, none of which by the way had a single IT company, so they obviously would have to select someone who would be a good fit for those companies too.

I disagree with this. I am very much a pure EECS guy and working in an IoT company in SF as an engineer in R&D (pretty far away from operations).

I think maybe my company brand may have helped, but also I focused my application heavily on how my experiences made me want to bridge the gap between HW and SW for a disruptive career in the IoT revolution.

But in general, I do agree that EECS people are very under-represented in the LGO program. From looking at the Class of 2017 and 2018 handbooks, I rarely ever see more than like 1-4 EECS students out of 50. I hope this changes in the future because those fields are hot!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 20:50
NovDjokovic wrote:
Yas2017 wrote:
tech2mba2017 wrote:

Yes I am EECS and definitely going to aim for Product Management. Did my UG in hardcore EE and hoping to take this as opportunity to move more into ML and AI as my engineering courses.

BTW a bit confused as to what the "Applicant ID" is supposed to be for the Revera form... is this the "MIT ID" we see on the acceptance page or the "Application ID" ?? Instruction says "please use the PIN you were emailed to create your Kerberos" but I don't seem to be able to dig up any emails about Kerberos?

It should be an email from LGO titled "Welcome to LGO 2018!" Or in your offer letter at the top. Even if you enter your MiT ID though, I'm guessing they'd understand.

Manager
Manager
S

Schools: MIT-LGO '19 (M)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 21:20
sbuxkid wrote:
NovDjokovic wrote:
Yas2017 wrote:
[quote="tech2mba2017"]Yea I had a similar story. I was interested in management of software/data analytics teams (probably product-focused) in the short term, and entrepreneurship within a few years. I talked about three partner companies that aligned with my interests and roles/initiatives I liked at each, but it was probably concluded that my goals lied too far outside those of the preferred LGO student.

It should be an email from LGO titled "Welcome to LGO 2018!" Or in your offer letter at the top. Even if you enter your MiT ID though, I'm guessing they'd understand.

Posted from my mobile device [/quote]

I used the Application ID from the admission letter and it seemed to work fine.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 21:52
NovDjokovic If you don't mind me asking where do you plan to do your internship among the partnered companies?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 23:46
freddiek wrote:
NovDjokovic If you don't mind me asking where do you plan to do your internship among the partnered companies?

I would say top choices are Amazon and Flex for R&D or Product Dev. But still really really early to say :).

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 07:46
sbuxkid wrote:
ADC4 wrote:
sbuxkid wrote:

Yay! Love waiting for packages in the mail. Hope you liked your swag and hopefully get some time off well in advance of school!

Anyone else not got package in mail? Or any Fedex notification?

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT-LGO '19 (D)
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 08:51
freddiek wrote:
If what I'm speculating is correct, I don't know if I'll apply again. Really wish they would make the classroom more diverse and accept people with career goals other than operations. It's such a good program and has such a narrow focus :(. Really envoy of all of you that got accepted.

Yas2017 I don't think your visa status was a factor. They would have been explicit about he issue for international applicants

Those that were unfortunate, anyone going to Sloan if they get accepted?

I got accepted into round 2. I got the email yesterday, but I'm not going to take the position to just Sloan. I really value the engineering degree, and want that more than the MBA. I think I'll try for this year's LGO class of 2020, and if it doesn't work, then I'm done. I'm also going to try and apply through the engineering school, and not through Sloan this coming year. Switch it up to see if that improves my chances.

Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2017, 08:51

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34    Next  [ 677 posts ]