GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 04:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT MFin Mathematics Background Requirements

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MIT MFin Mathematics Background Requirements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 05:58
I'm interested in applying to MIT's MFin program next year. My concern is that my mathematical background is not that strong.

I'm an Economics undergraduate and have only completed what I consider the most basic of Calculus (Differentiation, Integration but not that much Series - No differential equations at all), Linear Algebra (Basic Matrix Operations, Gauss Elimination etc. but not Vector Spaces, Eigenvalues etc.), Statistics/Probability/Econometrics (Descriptive Statistics, Inferential Statistics, Linear Regressions & Estimations etc. but nothing Stochastic, or calculus-based).

The truth is that I consider myself inclined towards mathematics and capable of learning new concepts. My question would be whether I will adequately learn the mathematical concepts that are needed, during the math preparation modules of the program, or I will be more or less expected to already know such concepts beforehand.

Any input from former/current students of the program would be very appreciated.
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MIT MFin Mathematics Background Requirements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 18:15
That's a good start. Personal opinion, take more Linear Algebra (you surely will find applications of vectors, eigenvalues, etc as you move along) as well as stochastic analysis. If you go up to Real Analysis, you should be all set in terms of theoretical, and anything along the lines of further applied differential equations are also helpful.

I'm sure the application process has changed over the years, but in prior years, MIT MFin application had a very specific section that made you detail all the courses you took and how many years of each you had taken. See if you can find a copy of the application and you should at least have an idea of topic areas that would be needed, and the basic curriculum should give you an idea of topics of study to at least be familiar with.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 18:45
mimerimi wrote:
I'm interested in applying to MIT's MFin program next year. My concern is that my mathematical background is not that strong.

I'm an Economics undergraduate and have only completed what I consider the most basic of Calculus (Differentiation, Integration but not that much Series - No differential equations at all), Linear Algebra (Basic Matrix Operations, Gauss Elimination etc. but not Vector Spaces, Eigenvalues etc.), Statistics/Probability/Econometrics (Descriptive Statistics, Inferential Statistics, Linear Regressions & Estimations etc. but nothing Stochastic, or calculus-based).

The truth is that I consider myself inclined towards mathematics and capable of learning new concepts. My question would be whether I will adequately learn the mathematical concepts that are needed, during the math preparation modules of the program, or I will be more or less expected to already know such concepts beforehand.

Any input from former/current students of the program would be very appreciated.

Hey sent you a PM.
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 00:52
This is from there website:

Listed below is an outline of the mathematical background that is desirable to have in order to be successful in the most challenging of courses in the program.

Linear algebra: Basic topics, including: matrix/vector notation, operations on matrices and vectors, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, quadratic forms, and systems of linear equations.

Calculus: Multivariable differentiation and integration, series expansions, and function approximation and maximization.

Probability: Sample spaces and random variables, common distributions and densities, moments of distributions, conditional probability and Bayes’ theorem, law of large numbers, central limit theorem, joint distributions, covariance, correlation, and stochastic independence.

Stochastic processes: Random walks, Bernoulli trials, Markov processes, basic properties of linear time series models, continuous-time processes, and Ito’s lemma.

Statistics/econometrics: Parameter estimation, confidence intervals, hypothesis tests, linear regression models, ordinary least squares, and likelihood principle.

Computer literacy: Basic programming experience and readiness to learn new tools and features; for example, familiarity with programming in MATLAB, Python, Java, or C++. Basic experience with Microsoft Office business tools, especially use of Excel for data analysis and presentation.

They also have a self-assessment section if you are still having doubts. IMO, if you have the stats to apply and have a decent amount of math in your background you can augment it with some community college classes. I've known a number of successful applicants who have done this. Additionally, while you want to go into the program with a background like this, don't assume the program is effectively a MFE type degree. You can customize your classes in whatever fashion you please. The program can be as quant or as non-quant as you like. For those so inclined, the school now offers a financial engineering concentration. Food for thought if this is what you really enjoy.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 07:24
AmoyV wrote:
mimerimi wrote:

Hey sent you a PM.

Hi, could you please send that also to me? :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 07:32
MSFHQ wrote:

Listed below is an outline of the mathematical background that is desirable to have in order to be successful in the most challenging of courses in the program.

Linear algebra: Basic topics, including: matrix/vector notation, operations on matrices and vectors, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, quadratic forms, and systems of linear equations.

Calculus: Multivariable differentiation and integration, series expansions, and function approximation and maximization.

Probability: Sample spaces and random variables, common distributions and densities, moments of distributions, conditional probability and Bayes’ theorem, law of large numbers, central limit theorem, joint distributions, covariance, correlation, and stochastic independence.

Stochastic processes: Random walks, Bernoulli trials, Markov processes, basic properties of linear time series models, continuous-time processes, and Ito’s lemma.

Statistics/econometrics: Parameter estimation, confidence intervals, hypothesis tests, linear regression models, ordinary least squares, and likelihood principle.

Computer literacy: Basic programming experience and readiness to learn new tools and features; for example, familiarity with programming in MATLAB, Python, Java, or C++. Basic experience with Microsoft Office business tools, especially use of Excel for data analysis and presentation.

They also have a self-assessment section if you are still having doubts. IMO, if you have the stats to apply and have a decent amount of math in your background you can augment it with some community college classes. I've known a number of successful applicants who have done this. Additionally, while you want to go into the program with a background like this, don't assume the program is effectively a MFE type degree. You can customize your classes in whatever fashion you please. The program can be as quant or as non-quant as you like. For those so inclined, the school now offers a financial engineering concentration. Food for thought if this is what you really enjoy.

Don't the program expect any knowledge in corp/quant finance?
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 11:21
Tourist1703 wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:

Don't the program expect any knowledge in corp/quant finance?

If they want that, it would be listed on their website. The program isn't as quant as a MFE program.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: MIT MFin Mathematics Background Requirements &nbs [#permalink] 28 Oct 2018, 11:21

MIT MFin Mathematics Background Requirements

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap