It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT Sloan Fellows: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: MIT Sloan Fellows: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 03:32
padi wrote:
Hi guys - congratulations to those admitted! An SF'16 here - we are very much looking forward to welcoming you at the April orientation!
Some learning from our cohort - WhatsApp only allows 100 members (if not changed by now), so we had to transition to something else - Telegram in our case - you may want to plan for this from the beginning to accommodate all Fellows!
Get ready for a fantastic year!

padi, many thanks. Looking forward to meet you and learn from your experiences. Whatsapp has recently increased the group chat limit to 256 members. Thanks for the tip though.

See you in April.

Best,
Swesloan

Best regards,
Swesloan

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 04:41
dear all, happy to know all of you here. I have two questions:

1) how many R3 applicants received the 2nd round interview invitation?

2) To all admitted applicants, first of all, congratulate! And how long did you receive the 2nd round interview invitation after the first round? Did you all interviewed by program director or associate director in the 1st round?

Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 04:46
tina254 wrote:
Im an international applicant and applied just a day before the R3 deadline. Havent heard anything from the adcom as yet. Any other international applicants in R3 ? Does the adcom send a mail notifying even if you dont get selected for an interview ?

Hi tina254,

Did you receive the interview invitation? Did you finish the interview?

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 04:23
whoknows16 wrote:
dear all, happy to know all of you here. I have two questions:

1) how many R3 applicants received the 2nd round interview invitation?

2) To all admitted applicants, first of all, congratulate! And how long did you receive the 2nd round interview invitation after the first round? Did you all interviewed by program director or associate director in the 1st round?

Thank you.

Dear whoknows16,

Thank you. My first round interview with an admissions associate (not the program director nor the associate director) was on Dec 14th. I recd. invitation for interview with the program director on Dec 16th. I interviewed with the program director on Dec 22 and I received my admissions decision on Dec 30th.
Hope this helps and gives you a timeframe view.

All the best.

Best regards,
Swesloan

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 15:30
Has anyone been given a second interview (with the Director), and then not gotten in? I have one soon, and I'm not sure if this is a formality or not.

Thanks!

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 00:50
pt455 wrote:
Has anyone been given a second interview (with the Director), and then not gotten in? I have one soon, and I'm not sure if this is a formality or not.

Thanks!

Hello pt455, congrats for making it thus far. If you dont fret it, you'll be fine. Just be yourself and this final "discussion" with the program director shall be a breeze. He will do most of the talking. Be prepared for what your expectations are from the school and from the program in specifics.

All the best for your discussion.

Best regards,
Swesloan

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 05:37
+1 admitted here. Sent last day of R3. Interviewed on Feb 12th in Sao Paulo (needed to travel), spoke to Director on Feb 17th. Received answer on Feb 22.
See you soon!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 17:11
Congratulations to all accepted to SF class of 2017!

I'm R3 candidate interviewed on 23rd Feb and waitlisted.

Any inputs on how to get off the waitlist will be really helpful.

Thanks again in advance.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [3], given: 0

MIT Sloan Fellows: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A Jeremiad:

I had received a congratulatory email for reaching the final stage in the MIT Sloan Fellows admission process, and it requested that I schedule a short follow-up phone call with the Program Director, Stephen Sacca.

The Admissions desk dismissively, and thus reassuringly, told me that it was “just a quick last word with our Program Director” when I called to clarify what to expect from this phone call. I did not have the luxury of getting a second opinion on this forum, as I must have been amongst the first to be so invited. Indeed, I imagined that the phone call must be the Program Director’s personal welcome aboard. I thought it noble that he would take the time to call finalists individually to congratulate and welcome them to the program. What happened, instead, turned out, for me, to be an unfortunate experience with my Achilles heel - virtual human interaction.

That afternoon, I picked up a bottle of champagne from a wine store as I hurried home from the office. Once home, I dug out a champagne flute and set them on my dining table. I also set my sound system to play my favorite classical work for victory, Triumphal Overture Concerto, turned up the volume, and paused it, in preparation to press play and declare victory at the end of this phone call. “Thank you, Mr. Sacca. I am honored and humbled to accept your offer of admission to the MIT Sloan Fellows program”, I rehearsed one last time.

The phone rang at 5.09 p.m., nine minutes past the scheduled time. It felt like an hour. I was momentarily unsettled as I had begun to think that the call would not come, but quickly rallied and reassured myself, and then I picked up the call.

He introduced himself and made opening remarks. He mentioned that it had taken him a few trials to get through to me - as is common with international phone calls, which caused the lateness. I thanked him for his persistence. He said we would need to hurry, as he was now running behind time for the next appointment. Then the questions began to fly, fiercely - like bullets in the Battle of Fallujah. Or, at least, it felt that way.

Then I thought to myself, “Wait a minute. Could this be yet another interview?” Was he trying to dishevel me merely to observe how I’d react under pressure? Should I elevate the pitch of my voice, and return fire in answering his questions, or maintain sangfroid, keep my composure, and give the best short impromptu answers I could muster? I chose the latter, with the hope that I would win his approval with my equanimity.

I felt my short answers were mediocre, and that the briskness of the phone conversation did not permit or afford me the necessary length and depth of language that I would need to answer his questions with subtlety and nuance – like I had had during my prior in-person interviews, first with the Assistant Director, and then later with the Associate Director for Admissions, the former lasting about one hour, and the latter lasting a whopping albeit pleasant 97 minutes. If anyone knew how to accomplish the delicate task of placing one on a hot seat, lighting one’s derriere on fire, and making one enjoy it, it was the Associate Director for Admissions, Laurel Aroian. Both the Assistant Director and the Associate Director for Admissions had told me, individually, that I need not worry, or, at least, in their opinion, when I asked for feedback at the end of my meetings with them. And I got the feeling that they meant it.

My answers on the phone call with the Program Director, on the other hand, rarely reflected my epic, year-long preparation, that included an initial reconnaissance trip to Cambridge – a 14,000 mile international trip (taken before, and in addition to the aforementioned two 14,000 mile in-person interview trips, in my attempt to avoid being interviewed virtually) to gather actionable, on-the-ground intelligence on the program, followed by exhaustive research on all publicly available data on the program, strategy sessions on how best to present my candidacy, and several mock interviews.

He quipped that it is unusual to have accomplished as much as I have, without my company sponsoring my tuition. Was that comment positive, negative, or merely rhetorical? How do I go about explaining the reasons why, with sufficiency, in the few seconds before the next question hit. Was he convinced by my abbreviated answers? What was the expression on his face in the moments I took in determining the most succinct responses to his inquiries? My thoughts raced at 90 miles per hour, yet, momentary silences between sentences were beyond unbearable. I wished fervently that this interview was in person and I could read his body language. Perhaps it would have provided the signals I needed to know in which direction to pivot.

I plowed ahead to describe an issue I confront in my profession, with the intent of showing how a specific course at the program would give me the tools to solve them. He interjected brusquely, and said the program was not geared towards solving technical but strategic issues. However, my description of the issue was almost verbatim to the MIT course description for System Dynamics, a core course in the program, offered only at the Sloan School. I determined that telling him so might prove argumentative. I believe that in his focus on the over-arching theme of the program, and understandably so, as the Program Director, he probably may not have been versed in the detailed minutiae of a specific course. In retrospect, it may be said, that the specificity of my example, curled from my depth of knowledge of the program, proved disabling.

My confidence took a shellacking. I felt inadequate, defeated, and battered, in fact. I wished again that I could see the face of my interviewer, but, then, it was all over. 10 minutes and 14 seconds in all. I had spoken for less than 4 minutes of it.

It then occurred to me that I, myself, had been a phone interviewer a few times in the past. In one instance, I had phone interviewed a chap I would find is now an MIT Sloan Fellow. The interview was unfruitful for him. I muttered a remorseful apology to him and my other victims, and hoped the fellow would not find out I am an applicant, lest he speak unfavorably about his experience with me to the admissions staff.

I, a hard-charging, alpha type, executive regional manager awaited my fate, humbled and forlorn, like a penitent boy awaiting his dreaded school master. Hope was no longer a bright burning flame. Instead, it flickered like a fluorescent light on its last legs.

…And then the moment of truth arrived, via email.

I used my peripheral vision to scan the page without reading it, like a hawk searching for its prey from above. I caught “regretfully” “unfortunately” “disappointment” and “future endeavors”. Those words were enough to deliver the message. I had been rejected from my only choice program. Victory had slipped from my grasp at the moment of victory.

I trashed the still unopened Champagne bottle. It brings bad luck to drink in defeat from a bottle meant for victory.

I offer my congratulations to those admitted. You deserve to be. And I hope that this epistle of MY short-coming – virtual human interaction - serves the intent of proving useful for other applicants in future. May you succeed where I failed.

Last edited by dubya on 11 Mar 2016, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 10 [3], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

MIT Sloan Fellows: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 05:58
Dear Dubya,

Thank you for your heads up. I had an interview with SS a couple of days ago.
I would have been in the same state of mind if it weren't for your post.

Eagerly waiting for the final verdict.
Congratulations for those accepted. Any ideas when is the orientation in April?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 22:11
Hello All!

Just received my long awaited letter. Very excited for the new challenge ahead. Love the acceptance video.

Posted from my mobile device

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 08:47
Just received the letter confirming my admission. Still trying to assimilate the news.

Submitted in R2, interviewed in Feb, waitlisted until this week, called by Program Director yesterday and admitted today.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 04:35
Congratulations!

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 12:27
Hi
Anyone applying to the MIT Sloan Fellows program in 2016/2017 Class of 2018 ?.
tks,
ES

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Top Contributor
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 23:32
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MIT Sloan Fellows MBA – For Leaders Among Leaders

The MIT Sloan Fellows program is quite unlike any other masters program for business professionals out there. Why? Quite simply because there are very few full-time options for mid-career professionals looking at MBA equivalent programs or programs that give them advanced management skills. On the one hand, there are full-time MBA programs, which will consider applicants with 12+ years of experience as older applicants, while on the other there are Executive MBA programs, which are all part-time options.

The various flavors of the Sloan Fellows Program
While the Sloan Fellows Program originated at MIT Sloan, and still exists there, it is also offered by two other top schools in slightly different flavors. The Stanford MSx is the Stanford-equivalent, while the LBS Sloan Masters in Strategy and Leadership is the London Business School equivalent. While there are strong similarities between the three programs. Each of the programs is meant for senior executives, with 12+ years of experience behind them. already have MBA degrees and are pursuing a ‘second MBA‘ through the Sloan program, so to say. Each Sloan program emphasizes leadership and strategy, as executives at that level of experience have reached a position in their careers where both domains impact them significantly. Each Sloan program is 12-14 months long, and each is offered by a top school. While these similarities exist, the Sloan Fellows programs also differ from school to school. Not all Sloan applicants need to take the GMAT. Class sizes also vary, with the MIT Sloan program having a class size around twice that of the LBS program. READ MORE

This post was first published on the GyanOne Blog

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 20

Re: MIT Sloan Fellows: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2016, 23:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 155 posts ] 

MIT Sloan Fellows: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap