Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q167 V163
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [2]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
MIT SLOAN vs INSEAD IS THE MIT BRAND NAME WORTH $200K DEBT [#permalink]
Kudos
One of my undergrad classmates went INSEAD for MBA. After MBA, he joined accenture as a strategy consultant. Later, his company moved him to the US with a handsome salary package. He is in the USA as a senior strategy manager. So I believe even if you do MBA from INSEAD, there is a chance that you can move to the US if that’s what you want.

Are you talking about MIT Sloan 2 year MBA program? If you are talking about MIT Sloan 2 year MBA program then it may be good idea to consider opportunity cost too. If your husband joins you in USA then he may have to lose job for 2 year. So your MBA cost won't be $200K but it will be $200K+Loan Interest+lost salary+Car Cost (I think family in US needs car to travel) + any other travel plans in those 2 years. Sorry, I don't want to scare you but I think it's a lot to lose.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: MIT SLOAN vs INSEAD IS THE MIT BRAND NAME WORTH $200K DEBT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Aisha89 wrote:
MIT SLOAN VS INSEAD. IS THE MIT BRAND NAME WORTH $200K DEBT

I have been privileged to receive seven offers from the ten schools are applied to in R2. As a result, I have streamlined my choices down to 3 schools (MIT ($) vs INSEAD ($$)). I am thrilled to receive an offer from MIT as an international student. The name MIT carries a lot of weight, and it will be easier for global mobility. However, I still worry if the name is worth an extra $200k in debt. On the other hand, I have an offer from INSEAD which is cheaper, faster and has a quick ROI. Even though INSEAD is a prestigious school, the brand is not as powerful as MIT.

This is a little about me;

* Female 30+ International
* IT Project Manager (over eight years experience)
* Post-MBA goal: Product Management in Tech (backup plan is Management Consulting)

**Pros of MIT**

* Global brand
* Strong placement in Tech
* More opportunities for Tech in the US
* Higher salaries

**Cons of MIT**

* More expensive (attending with spouses and kids)
* Visa uncertainty as a result of the lottery system
* Spouses cannot work on F2, OPTand H4

**Pros of INSEAD/EUROPE**

* Cheaper and Faster ROI
* Global Cohort
* Only one year

**Cons of INSEAD**

* Tech placement isn't as strong
* Lower salaries in Europe

Having highlighted the above, I am confused about what to do. I would like to gain more insights from the community on the following;

* Is MIT's brand value and network worth a $200k loan for an International Student?
* Does pedigree matter years after graduating from the program?
* How has the alumni network of INSEAD or MIT benefited your career if you attended either of these schools? Can you please provide more insight into your experience?
* Have you faced a similar situation? If yes, how did you go about your decision, and what would you have done differently looking back?
* Can you speak to the career services support from both schools?

I am interested in hearing your views!

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Aisha89,

When it comes to pedigree, both would be at par. However, your decision should ideally be based on what you wish to do post MBA. With 8+ years of experience, even a one-year program would work for you. So, eventually, your decision should really be based on what your goals are.

Thanks.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Aisha89 wrote:
MIT SLOAN VS INSEAD. IS THE MIT BRAND NAME WORTH $200K DEBT

I have been privileged to receive seven offers from the ten schools are applied to in R2. As a result, I have streamlined my choices down to 3 schools (MIT ($) vs INSEAD ($$)). I am thrilled to receive an offer from MIT as an international student. The name MIT carries a lot of weight, and it will be easier for global mobility. However, I still worry if the name is worth an extra $200k in debt. On the other hand, I have an offer from INSEAD which is cheaper, faster and has a quick ROI. Even though INSEAD is a prestigious school, the brand is not as powerful as MIT.

This is a little about me;

* Female 30+ International
* IT Project Manager (over eight years experience)
* Post-MBA goal: Product Management in Tech (backup plan is Management Consulting)

**Pros of MIT**

* Global brand
* Strong placement in Tech
* More opportunities for Tech in the US
* Higher salaries

**Cons of MIT**

* More expensive (attending with spouses and kids)
* Visa uncertainty as a result of the lottery system
* Spouses cannot work on F2, OPTand H4

**Pros of INSEAD/EUROPE**

* Cheaper and Faster ROI
* Global Cohort
* Only one year

**Cons of INSEAD**

* Tech placement isn't as strong
* Lower salaries in Europe

Having highlighted the above, I am confused about what to do. I would like to gain more insights from the community on the following;

* Is MIT's brand value and network worth a $200k loan for an International Student?
* Does pedigree matter years after graduating from the program?
* How has the alumni network of INSEAD or MIT benefited your career if you attended either of these schools? Can you please provide more insight into your experience?
* Have you faced a similar situation? If yes, how did you go about your decision, and what would you have done differently looking back?
* Can you speak to the career services support from both schools?

I am interested in hearing your views!

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Aisha89,
I hope you are well,
I would like to know if finally have you make your choice ? Because i will be maybe in the same case and i wish to know your return.

Thank you for your answer
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts