Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 04:05 It is currently 09 May 2024, 04:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.47
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: MIT Sloan vs. Wharton/Lauder($) reboot [#permalink]
Hey -
So I visited Sloan last week - loved it. I think you said it right, everyone I spoke to said they were having two best years of their life.

I will be heading down to Wharton tomorrow for a visit as well. I will let you know how it goes.

Check out my write up on Sloan visit: https://writingintransit.wordpress.com/2 ... mit-sloan/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Mbainvestor wrote:
I'll give you another perspective: the long term brand difference / prestige disappears very quickly. I'm choosing b/w Columbia and Wharton and almost everyone I've talked to (experienced managers / former McKinsey partners who hire top-tier MBAs) says the difference in negligible and that it disappears after you've been in your job for a year or two.

I understand the pull of prestige, but it sounds like you want to go to Sloan. I think you'd be crazy not to, as long as you've done your research on the specific merits of the programs and how they relate to your goals. It's two years of your life - your personal satisfaction counts for a lot.

That said - hopefully you had a chance to visit both schools. I actually really liked Philly once I visited (good restaurants, very walkable, good arts scene, reasonable cost of living vs. NYC), but the Wharton bubble felt very insular. I spent a few days there and am now leaning toward Columbia. You may have a different impression once you spend a few days there.

Thanks for this very insightful comment.

As an international applicant, who unfortunately didn't have the chance to visit either schools, I have a very hard time translating what the difference in ranking means in real life (again Wharton seems totally unknown in Asia unless you talk to bankers).

As I understand it, I will have pretty much the same career chances with either school (nb. I'm not interested in PE/VC/IB). So the question is, how big is the additional prestige at W (and twice bigger alumni base) and will it pay-off in 10 years the drawback of being in an environment that I will, ceteris paribus, enjoy much less in 2 years (I'm assuming that classes are at the same level, though the faculty at Sloan seems stellar+++).

What you say is very interesting, and assuming that is true, I guess I should go for MIT, I will have much less regrets going there.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3125 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I do not agree that Sloan has a greater brand recognition in Asia than Wharton does.. While the same may be true for MIT against UPenn.. But still UPenn has the "ivy league" brand name... So not much difference in prestige... Moreover a scholarship would look quite impressive on your job resume.. Even after considering these factors, if you are still leaning towards Sloan, then obviously that is where your heart is....
Anyway, a great situation to be in... All the best.. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Just finished Wharton campus visit and I was quite disappointed. The events were poorly organized, the city looks run down, and the prof didnt even know what her slides meant- that too in a cap markets class...

I missed out on the pub event at night which I heard was supposed to be the best thing, but really made me question even applying to Wharton....

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.47
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
duriangris wrote:
Mbainvestor wrote:
I'll give you another perspective: the long term brand difference / prestige disappears very quickly. I'm choosing b/w Columbia and Wharton and almost everyone I've talked to (experienced managers / former McKinsey partners who hire top-tier MBAs) says the difference in negligible and that it disappears after you've been in your job for a year or two.

I understand the pull of prestige, but it sounds like you want to go to Sloan. I think you'd be crazy not to, as long as you've done your research on the specific merits of the programs and how they relate to your goals. It's two years of your life - your personal satisfaction counts for a lot.

That said - hopefully you had a chance to visit both schools. I actually really liked Philly once I visited (good restaurants, very walkable, good arts scene, reasonable cost of living vs. NYC), but the Wharton bubble felt very insular. I spent a few days there and am now leaning toward Columbia. You may have a different impression once you spend a few days there.

Thanks for this very insightful comment.

As an international applicant, who unfortunately didn't have the chance to visit either schools, I have a very hard time translating what the difference in ranking means in real life (again Wharton seems totally unknown in Asia unless you talk to bankers).

As I understand it, I will have pretty much the same career chances with either school (nb. I'm not interested in PE/VC/IB). So the question is, how big is the additional prestige at W (and twice bigger alumni base) and will it pay-off in 10 years the drawback of being in an environment that I will, ceteris paribus, enjoy much less in 2 years (I'm assuming that classes are at the same level, though the faculty at Sloan seems stellar+++).

What you say is very interesting, and assuming that is true, I guess I should go for MIT, I will have much less regrets going there.

I'm not an expert. I'm trying to make the same decision. But put yourself in a hiring manager's shoes: two people, both 3 years out of school. Do you think the hiring manager will be thinking about Sloan vs. Wharton or what they've accomplished in the past three years + their back history of experience? I just can't believe (and this has been validated by everyone I've spoken to) that the Wharton guy has any advantage just because of the brand. You're talking about two top-tier schools and your experience and accomplishments will very quickly mean more. That said, I think it probably matters more for your first job out of school, but still not a hell of a lot.

If you want to do something start-up related, I would think MIT is the better choice. The connections between the MBA program and the other schools at MIT are supposedly very high quality, giving you opportunities to work on new ventures with biotech guys or engineers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
duriangris wrote:
Sloan: I believe I am a much better fit, i'd love to live in Boston for 2 years,

I think this seals it. Your heart seems set on Boston. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
MacFauz wrote:
I do not agree that Sloan has a greater brand recognition in Asia than Wharton does.. While the same may be true for MIT against UPenn.. But still UPenn has the "ivy league" brand name... So not much difference in prestige... Moreover a scholarship would look quite impressive on your job resume.. Even after considering these factors, if you are still leaning towards Sloan, then obviously that is where your heart is....
Anyway, a great situation to be in... All the best.. :)

Interesting point you make about the so-called "Ivy League brand name" that gives Wharton an advantage over Sloan. I think this is not a credible way to view these two top tier schools at all. The truth about the Ivy League is that it pertains very much to undergraduate education, and even for that people hardly look beyond HYP. Columbia and Upenn are thrown into the mix every now and then. The rest: Brown, Dartmouth and Cornell are on the fringes, and they are those who like to tout their Ivy League credentials. The big three pretty much see themselves as "the big boys" whom the other five like to name drop....

Truth is that at a graduate level (MBA in this case), the reputations of schools are based on how "good" (selectivity, career prospects, recruiting, salaries, etc), these schools are, and not on some arbitrary affiliation with some undergraduate programs. Maybe I am saying this because I am a bit biased, having attended undergrad at HYP, but frankly, I don't think most of that undergraduate prestige really rubs off graduate programs directly. The track record/prestige of those graduate programs comes from how strong those programs are, and not because they are affiliated to The Ancient Eight.

In short, HBS never touts its Ivy League credentials. Why? Because it is HBS. Also, because, it is (one of) the best program(s) in the world- it being a part of the Ivy League is just a small, insignificant part of its story. Likewise, no sensible employer is going to gaga over Cornell or Tuck (and thumb its nose at Booth), just because the first two are Ivy League and the latter is not.

In summary: you are better off going to a top school that fits your career aspirations and individuality, than picking one over the other due to a non-existent Ivy League prestige value. Of course, this only applies when we are talking about the top 10-13 or so schools- you should totally choose Cornell over say a Tepper, because Johnson is an Ivy League school, for what it's worth....
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts