GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 312
Location: Canada
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 02:48
1
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (02:31) correct 63% (02:27) wrong based on 175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture's popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

The argument Hector makes in responding to Monica depends on the assumption that

(A) no matter what the public's opinion is on an issue affecting the public good, that public opinion ought to be acted on, even though the opinion may not be a knowledgeable one

(B) Monica's assessment of the public's opinion of the sculpture is accurate

(C) If the sculpture had artistic merit, then even a public that was not knowledgeable about modern art would not scorn the sculpture

(D) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought not to be expected to have artistic merit

(E) If the public feels that it does not benefit from the sculpture, this shows that the public does not in fact benefit from the sculpture
Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1378
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 01:45
1
vikasp99 wrote:
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture's popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

The argument Hector makes in responding to Monica depends on the assumption that

(A) no matter what the public's opinion is on an issue affecting the public good, that public opinion ought to be acted on, even though the opinion may not be a knowledgeable one

(B) Monica's assessment of the public's opinion of the sculpture is accurate

(C) If the sculpture had artistic merit, then even a public that was not knowledgeable about modern art would not scorn the sculpture

(D) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought not to be expected to have artistic merit

(E) If the public feels that it does not benefit from the sculpture, this shows that the public does not in fact benefit from the sculpture


(A) no matter what the public's opinion is on an issue affecting the public good, that public opinion ought to be acted on, even though the opinion may not be a knowledgeable one
The argument Hector makes doesn't imply that public opinion ought to be acted on regardless the public knowledge. Eliminated

(E) If the public feels that it does not benefit from the sculpture, this shows that the public does not in fact benefit from the sculpture
Correct. Hector means that public feelings are in fact public benefits.
_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 274
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 00:27
hii expert , can you tell me whether i am wrong or not ?

i think the answer should be related with sculpture's artistic value and public's benefits. form that . that's only options E states .

please help !
thanks
Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1378
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 01:07
npin2 wrote:
Hi,

requesting an explanation on why b isn't correct...


Choice B restated what was already mentioned in passage. Hence choice B is not the correct answer.

"Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed."
_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 34
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 06:04
vikasp99 wrote:
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture's popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

The argument Hector makes in responding to Monica depends on the assumption that

(A) no matter what the public's opinion is on an issue affecting the public good, that public opinion ought to be acted on, even though the opinion may not be a knowledgeable one

(B) Monica's assessment of the public's opinion of the sculpture is accurate

(C) If the sculpture had artistic merit, then even a public that was not knowledgeable about modern art would not scorn the sculpture

(D) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought not to be expected to have artistic merit

(E) If the public feels that it does not benefit from the sculpture, this shows that the public does not in fact benefit from the sculpture


Can someone tell me how to negate option C ?
IMO, it was between C and E. As option C closely bridges the gap of both the arguments, I choose it.
_________________

Never give up !

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2013
Posts: 12
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 08:19
Option C is too confusing and extreme, too many negated statement.
However a direct deduction could be
Statement B is kind of repeated by the prompt in first 2 sentences.
A repeated statement is never a correct answer choice in CR.
_________________

RL

A Little Sacrifice -Takes you Places

Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16932
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 10:39
Really appreciate if you can clarify about the choice B
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Location: India
Concentration: Economics, Statistics
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 12:50
can any one shed some light on this one please........ please
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 19 Mar 2016
Posts: 35
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 21:06
gmatkilled wrote:
can any one shed some light on this one please........ please


Hector has used Monica's statement in order to provide his own argument. The question stem is centric to Hector's argument:

You may be right about what the sculpture's popularity means about its artistic merit.
-> A counter premise. Notice that Hector has considered Monica's assesment as RIGHT (repeated in B)

However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit.
-> The premise of Hector's argument.

Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.
-> Hector's conclusion

My assessment of the options:

A. This is PREMISE of Hector's argument
B. This is the COUNTER PREMISE used by Hector.
C. Irrelevant
D. Irrelevant
E. CORRECT As this clearly links the PREMISE and CONCLUSION of Hector's argument.
_________________

Please correct me in case I'm wrong; consider giving kudos, otherwise.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2013
Posts: 12
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 21:19
bb wrote:
Really appreciate if you can clarify about the choice B


Cant come up with a concrete explanation. Maybe experts from e-GMAT or Magoosh can help.
_________________

RL

A Little Sacrifice -Takes you Places

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 185
GPA: 3.31
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 02:48
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture's popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

The argument Hector makes in responding to Monica depends on the assumption that

(A) no matter what the public's opinion is on an issue affecting the public good, that public opinion ought to be acted on, even though the opinion may not be a knowledgeable one
The main idea -
Hector thinks 'and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. '
He assumes/thinks public can determine that what is beneficial to the public.

public may not know artistic value of it but their opinion ?
There is no mention of whether the opinion is knowledgeable or not.


(B) Monica's assessment of the public's opinion of the sculpture is accurate
May or may not be . 'You may be right about'

(C) If the sculpture had artistic merit, then even a public that was not knowledgeable about modern art would not scorn the sculpture
Irrelevant.
(D) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought not to be expected to have artistic merit
No mention/ Irrelevant.
(E) If the public feels that it does not benefit from the sculpture, this shows that the public does not in fact benefit from the sculpture
Hector thinks 'and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. '
This is what Hector assumes. Correct.
_________________

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned &nbs [#permalink] 23 Mar 2017, 02:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.