Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
MOOC - Is it worth getting certified? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PersonalMBACoach wrote:

Did you already apply this year or are you applying in the upcoming R1 cycle? I would really have to know more about your background including what schools you are targeting before giving feedback. If your stats are low for the particular school (considering demographics as well) then taking extra courses will help to offset that to some extent. It will not have a very large impact, but it will be positive. Send me a resume and some more information if you would like further advice. Good luck!

https://www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Thanks Scott.

Yes, I did apply this year but now I am least hopeful to get any admit. I am planning to apply in the upcoming R1 cycle. I am targeting top 20 schools (in line with my Short term of being into Product Management post MBA). My GPA is 80% and I have the biggest disadvantage of being an Indian IT Male. My Current GMAT Score is 700 but I am planning to give another shot soon. I will be almost 5 years experienced by the time I reach B School next year.

I have sent you my resume for more details. Kindly have a look. Thanks for your help. :)
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: MOOC - Is it worth getting certified? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:

Did you already apply this year or are you applying in the upcoming R1 cycle? I would really have to know more about your background including what schools you are targeting before giving feedback. If your stats are low for the particular school (considering demographics as well) then taking extra courses will help to offset that to some extent. It will not have a very large impact, but it will be positive. Send me a resume and some more information if you would like further advice. Good luck!

https://www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Thanks Scott.

Yes, I did apply this year but now I am least hopeful to get any admit. I am planning to apply in the upcoming R1 cycle. I am targeting top 20 schools (in line with my Short term of being into Product Management post MBA). My GPA is 80% and I have the biggest disadvantage of being an Indian IT Male. My Current GMAT Score is 700 but I am planning to give another shot soon. I will be almost 5 years experienced by the time I reach B School next year.

I have sent you my resume for more details. Kindly have a look. Thanks for your help. :)

Thank you very much. I will take a look and revert back. I agree that retaking the GMAT will be a good idea. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Best,
Scott
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:

Hi Abhimahna,

Looking at your GMAT Club profile it seems you have applied to several schools already. There could be a few pitfalls in your past applications- if you applied to too many b-schools all at once, did you spend enough time on each application? Did you differentiate yourself well enough( that's a big onus on an India IT male). Moreover, your GMAT score is low for an Indian applicant applying to the top MBA programs.

I'd be happy to look at one of your past applications and provide you feedback.

To answer your question about the MOOCs - I think it depends on which courses you are targeting? If they help you gain some skills at work and perform better in a tangible way, then they should be worth it, because then they would also give you a chance to show improvement, specially if you are reapplying. But just doing unrelated courses for the heck of it is not going to add much value.

Between the GMAT and MOOCs, it would be more beneficial to retake GMAT. And looking at your past posts I understand you are already prepping.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBADecoder wrote:
Hi Abhimahna,

Looking at your GMAT Club profile it seems you have applied to several schools already. There could be a few pitfalls in your past applications- if you applied to too many b-schools all at once, did you spend enough time on each application? Did you differentiate yourself well enough( that's a big onus on an India IT male). Moreover, your GMAT score is low for an Indian applicant applying to the top MBA programs.

To answer your question about the MOOCs - I think it depends on which courses you are targeting? If they help you gain some skills at work and perform better in a tangible way, then they should be worth it, because then they would also give you a chance to show improvement, specially if you are reapplying. But just doing unrelated courses for the heck of it is not going to add much value.

Between the GMAT and MOOCs, it would be more beneficial to retake GMAT. And looking at your past posts I understand you are already prepping.

Hi Namita,

Yes, I did apply to 7 schools this year in R2 but I know my GMAT Score is below average for an Indian IT Male Engineer and my work experience is also a year less than a average work exp for most of the B Schools I applied to.

I am reconsidering my GMAT now and was looking for some MOOC course that could help me strengthen my profile and help me in future as an MBA applicant.

So, do you think Business Analytics/Data Scientist courses from Microsoft/Columbia Business School would help me anyway for the upcoming R1 cycle.

Regarding application review, should I send you my application or is there any other way I should approach?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
Hi Abhimahna,

Hi Namita,

Yes, I did apply to 7 schools this year in R2 but I know my GMAT Score is below average for an Indian IT Male Engineer and my work experience is also a year less than a average work exp for most of the B Schools I applied to.

I am reconsidering my GMAT now and was looking for some MOOC course that could help me strengthen my profile and help me in future as an MBA applicant.

So, do you think Business Analytics/Data Scientist courses from Microsoft/Columbia Business School would help me anyway for the upcoming R1 cycle.

Regarding application review, should I send you my application or is there any other way I should approach?

You can email me your application with a reference to Gmat Club
Let me go through it and gain better understanding about the intended courses. Generally speaking, it will make a marginal difference if at all- the GMAT still remains your best challenge/worst enemy :-D
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBADecoder wrote:
You can email me your application with a reference to Gmat Club
Let me go through it and gain better understanding about the intended courses. Generally speaking, it will make a marginal difference if at all- the GMAT still remains your best challenge/worst enemy :-D

Email sent. Please have a look.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi abhimahna,

We were just waiting and wondering why isn't anyone asking about MOOC's.

We respect what others have already told you, but would differ just a little bit. In our opinion, MOOCs do help, and honestly, you do not have to necessarily pay for them. The important fact is that you convey it to the schools that you are taking XYZ course off Coursera or edX. Schools do not consider the credits offered by these MOOCs, but yes, it does tell the schools that 'This candidate is willing to fill the gaps that he/she has in the profile, and is willing to go the extra mile to address the issue'

So bottom line - if you have some spare time, take the courses. If nothing, they will help you gain valuable knowledge.

Cheers!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
tugbuck wrote:
Hi abhimahna,

We were just waiting and wondering why isn't anyone asking about MOOC's.

We respect what others have already told you, but would differ just a little bit. In our opinion, MOOCs do help, and honestly, you do not have to necessarily pay for them. The important fact is that you convey it to the schools that you are taking XYZ course off Coursera or edX. Schools do not consider the credits offered by these MOOCs, but yes, it does tell the schools that 'This candidate is willing to fill the gaps that he/she has in the profile, and is willing to go the extra mile to address the issue'

So bottom line - if you have some spare time, take the courses. If nothing, they will help you gain valuable knowledge.

Cheers!

Great. Thanks for the information. I was also thinking the same and was looking for Experts Advice. :)
GMAT Club Bot