Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IMD '21
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Most interns who work for pay hold positions that require [#permalink]
Hi, can some expert kindly explain why E is a better option over D?
There is no concrete explanation for why answer choice D is incorrect?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
GMATDr wrote:

Hi,

I always prefer to look at such parallelism questions as a mathematical expression using parentheses.

If we apply this concept to (D), we get:

Most interns who work for pay hold positions that require few skills, carry (little experience, and little hope for permanent placement).

Expanding this, we get: Most interns who work for pay hold positions that require few skills, carry little experience, and carry little hope for permanent placement.

While this can be considered, you would agree that "offer little hope" is a better expression for conveying the intended meaning than "carry little hope". Hence, given the better option available in (E), we must reject option (D).

Hope this helps.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATDr wrote:

....positions that require...., carry......, and offer...

Notice the parallelism between the three verbs in bold. That parallelism is missing in D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IMD '21
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Hi EducationAisle svasan05 thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Though I understand that we must pick up learnings from a particular Q and move ahead. However, I am just trying to get my logic correct so please bear with me.

IMO if there was no who in the sentence, plugging in choice E would result in following:

Most interns work for pay hold positions that require few skills, carry little experience, and offer little hope for permanent placement. All verb forms parallel & sentence means that it is the positions that do the three things mentioned in the sentence. However doesn't use of who change meaning of the sentence? i.e. Interns who work in positions that require few skills, carry little experience & little hope for placement. If the meaning of the sentence is latter, I assume the parallelism is correct if we plug in D. Carry X & Y.

Would appreciate if you can point out if I have misunderstood the meaning of the sentence by missing something.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
who is modifying interns, that is modifying positions, and hold is the main verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Why E over D.
also i was stuck with option C

Experts please analyze C,D, and E.

Thanks in advance.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
JITESHSINGH wrote:
Why E over D.
also i was stuck with option C

Experts please analyze C,D, and E.

Thanks in advance.

Hello JITESHSINGH,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option D is incorrect, as it does not maintain parallelism among "require few skills", "carry little experience", and "little hope for permanent placement", as the former two are verb phrases, and the latter is a noun phrase.

Similarly, Option C fails to maintain parallelism among "require few skills", "little experience", and "offer little hope for permanent placement".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, everyone. I am generally not a fan of questions by third parties, but I think the only somewhat strange element of this question is the use of the verb carry: most interns carry little experience is not common usage, even if the sentence is passable. (I imagine just about any native speaker would say have.) That said, the goal here is just to create a list with three parallel elements:

• skills
  • experience
  • hope

The introduction of other words, such as adjectives or verbs, around these key nouns seems to be causing a few people grief. Consider a list with the modifiers (adjectives) added in:

1) few skills
2) little experience
3) little hope

No problem. But look at what happens when we add in the verb require:

1) require few skills
2) [require] little experience
3) [require] little hope X

It does not make sense to say that positions require little hope for permanent placement. Also, you cannot allow the second element to "piggyback" off the first verb without also applying that verb to the third element. Rather, there should be a clean break:

require | few skills and little experience | and | offer little hope...

Note that the list has ditched the commas and has opted to group the first two nouns under, say, element A while denoting a clear break with a second and and a different verb to create element B. (It is fine for an element in a list to branch.)

Since we do not see any answer choice that resembles the above, we have to consider parallel verbs:

1) require few skills
2) carry little experience
3) offer little hope

We can see how the final list presents perfectly parallel elements, A, B, and C. Now, we can assess the answer choices and expose faulty parallelism or implied meaning:

vivek123 wrote:
Most interns who work for pay hold positions that require few skills, little experience, and also little hope for permanent placement.

(A) little experience, and also
(B) little experience, and with
(C) little experience, and offer
(D) carry little experience, and
(E) carry little experience, and offer

Answer choices (A) and (B) suffer from the same issue, as explained earlier. I would also argue that and also is redundant in (A). Answer choice (C) groups the first two key nouns under the same verb but then conjures up a different verb for the third:

positions that require few skills, [require] little experience, and offer...

You should appreciate by now that we cannot create such a list. The second comma allows us to anticipate that a third requirement will follow, and hitting another action in offer is jarring.

Finally, answer choice (D) adds a second verb ahead of the second element, but then omits such a verb ahead of the third:

positions that require few skills, carry little experience, and little hope...

Where is the verb in front of hope? Even if you want to make a case for carry, you would need to punctuate differently, similar to what we saw above, only with the second verb acting as the glue to hold the latter two key nouns together. I will not write the sentence with carry in it as that verb, since it would not make sense to say positions that carry little hope for permanent placement, but just so you can appreciate the point: require A and [different verb] B and C. Now, the second element would branch under the second verb, and the punctuation would not get in the way.

Perhaps it makes more sense now why (E) is the only justifiable answer. I had fun with this question, even if I always advise centering preparation on official Verbal questions.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Perhaps it makes more sense now why (E) is the only justifiable answer. I had fun with this question, even if I always advise centering preparation on official Verbal questions.
- Andrew

Non-official one-note questions like this one are useful as learning tools - to learn/teach and reinforce certain points.
They may not be realistic as GMAT questions that could appear in the exam.

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
vv65 wrote:
AndrewN wrote:
- Andrew

Non-official one-note questions like this one are useful as learning tools - to learn/teach and reinforce certain points.
They may not be realistic as GMAT questions that could appear in the exam.

Defending a Princeton Review question, eh, vv65? All joking aside, I was complimenting the question-writer in my earlier post. (In fact, I am reminded of a somewhat similar official question). The parallelism is hidden just well enough, forcing readers to keep track of a verb-adjective-noun list all at once, and alterations such as and also and and with are just convincing enough to snare a few people, the same sorts of issues we might see in an official question. I would not label this particular question "one-note," even if parallelism is the central concern. My gripe is with questions that are way too simplistic or unnecessarily difficult to help students prepare for the challenges that lie ahead. Such questions belong in grammar primers, in my view, without masquerading as GMAT™ SC questions. (You may have seen my harsh critique of a question that started with a split between The frog is and The frog are, and at some point required the reader to judge whether the frog in question did or did not necessarily possess a tail.) Of course, I do not have the final say in what content people choose to create or post, and I enjoy many questions, but with several hundred official questions floating around that range from covering basic concepts to arcane ones, I see no compelling reason to study something else to prepare for the exam.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [1]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
AndrewN wrote:
My gripe is with questions that are way too simplistic or unnecessarily difficult to help students prepare for the challenges that lie ahead. Such questions belong in grammar primers, in my view, without masquerading as GMAT™ SC questions

Agree! Unrealistic questions should not masquerade as SC questions and should definitely not figure in practice tests.

Non-native speakers sometimes need to do grammar or language drills as part of GMAT preparation.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This isn't the best problem--since when does a job carry experience?--but the official answer of E is the only possible choice. We need our three terms to be parallel, and the first part says "require few skills." So we can parallel the verb ("require") with two other verbs, or we can parallel the noun (either "few skills" or just "skills," as appropriate). However, if we parallel the nouns, we'd need the initial verb to apply to all three terms. Since the jobs don't "require little hope," we now have no choice but to put a verb in each term. E is the only choice that does that!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts