Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: delete [#permalink]
Kudos
2pumpchump wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am wondering if you guys can give me some input on my MS Finance application.

About me:
- European
- Went to a Big Ten university (reputable, but not for its undergrad finance)
- GPA 3.3, majored in Finance
- Played D1 sports (highly ranked player individually)
- Taking the GMAT soon and I should score 680-700 based on practice exams

Anyway, I was all-in on becoming a professional athlete and I have therefore no work experience. How much will the sport help me in my application?

What are my chances of getting into a top 20 MS Finance program?

Hello 2pumpchump

Big Ten ?? :)

You mean top 10.

Anyways, Wisconsin or Illinois is not in top 10...except for Booth, but I am sure we are not talking about that school. ;)

Rotman, Imperial, Warwick, Stockholm are all good schools. :thumbup:

There is no "let's say I can score towards 710-720"...that is a wish, at this point.

"I should score 680-700 based on practice exams" is more accurate at the moment, still not guaranteed.

Rotman average GMAT score of admitted students is "only" 660 for MS in Finance program. :shocked

Good for you.

Imperial wants 650 or higher :)

Warwick does not require GMAT/GRE but they say that a well-balanced score (700+) may strengthen your application.

Stockholm Business School wants GMAT (total score) of 600 or more :)

All in all, I would say those scores are most probably reachable for you, so you a have fair chance at all of schools on your list.

Good Luck :cool:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
billionaire

I know, wishful thinking.. Thanks! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
I think he did mean Big Team. It is a sports conference in America.

Also as billionaire beat me to it, you have chances at those programs in Europe.

IF you do get a really high GMAT, consider MFA from LSE for recently grad students. It will completely open your door in Europe.

I know you said ignore LSE, but if you do get high GMAT, worth a shot.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry for the delay.

3.3GPA is fine. Playing sports is great. Big 10 is a good brand to have. 680 and above is a strong GMAT for the MSF.

Vanderbilt - high prob. UT Austin - High Prob. USC - medium. MIT - Low. WUSTL - High Prob.

Bunch of other schools you'll definitely get into.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey 2pumpchump

Well, top 20 is a pretty wide band to choose from, but first, let's talk a bit on your profile :

Starting with your athletic activities, the fact that been involved in sport at such a level is definitely beneficial when comes to drafting the school's application, but you cannot completely rely on it, schools are not looking for one specific thing, they are in the pursuit of a holistic applicant, one who will be a good fit with their values and has a clear focus on his goals.

I am not sure which universities or countries you are specifically interested in, but if we are talking about the top MFin schools, I would say that your profile is realizable for pretty good schools like Michigan, Vanderbilt, Babson, Schulich with a strong application.
Talking about your GPA, it is a bit on the lower side, though you can mitigate its effects via a strong GMAT score.

Also mentioning a well-written reason for why your GPA was low (you were involved in sports or other things) and highlighting places where you have made an impact would be ideal and keep your profile competitive.

I would suggest you work on your GMAT a bit harder and try to score at least 710+ scores in the same so that you can overcome your no work and low GPA account on your profile.

Apart from this an overall strong application, essays, LOR, are by far the best way to showcase your profile and make an impact on the selection panel.

Talking about the schools, as with your Current profile schools such as Imperial, EMLyon, University of St Gallen, Warwick can be targeted.

I would suggest you take the free profile evaluation once you get your GMAT score, to get a better idea of your updated profile :

Here is the link https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts