Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Re: MSF 2015 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MSFbsb wrote:
Hello,

Latin american applicant here, with a BA in economics from top latin american university (7.7/10, university doesn't rank). 1.5 years of experience as a macroeconomic analyst in the trading desk of an asset management firm.

GRE:
Q165 (90%)
V159 (81%)

Wondering what are my chances for the following programs: HEC, MIT, Imperial, EDHEC, USC, Esade and LSE.

Thanks!

If I am reading your GPA correctly, that is nearly a B in the US. I converted your GRE and it comes out around a 690. I think you'd be competitive at HEC, Imperial, EDHEC, ESADE and LSE (maybe for one of the "easier" MSc programs). MIT and USC are going to be tough because of the following:

1) GRE - Both schools have a 700+ GMAT average
2) GPA - Lower than at both school

Depending on your work experience, rec's and the strength of the applicant pool you are either slightly competitive or not at all. Not saying don't apply, they might be good stretch schools, but don't totally count on it either.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nataraj wrote:
Hi Sir,

I am Nataraj from India. I am in interested to do Ms Finance from USA.
Currently, I am working in an Investment Management Company and have a Post Graduate Diploma in Management degree.
Could you please suggest some good colleges which charge tuition fee in the range of 25k to 35K dollars?

Please guide me to pick a correct college as i unaware about colleges in USA.

Thank You.

Need more info than this. There are a couple schools in that tuition range, but if you are a good candidate you can get scholarship money. Sticker price isn't always what you pay.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi
Well I am an Indian Student looking to do MSFin in U.S.I am currently studying in a top college in my country,India.I am in my penultimate year and have a double major in humanities as well as finance. I have a current GPA of 7.68.I recently gave GRE again and improved my Score,165 Q,161 V
Haven't given TOEFL yet,planning to give it in the coming month.
Other info:I have done 2 summer internships(total 8 months) in reputed international financial firm with an analyst intern role.
For extracurricular's i am involved in representing the school tennis team at a national level and I am also involved in working for a NGO that focuses on working for improving the status if backward classes(2 years)
Strong Skills and knowledge in SQL,C,C++ and Proficient working with MS office.

Interest:
I am interested in Corporate finance,Commercial Banking and related fields

Which Schools I will be competitive at?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I am a Bcom Mba with 5yrs of work experience and i am planning to apply to an MSF program(fall 2015) .
With 70% at undergrad level, 8.23/10 CGPA at post grad and gmat score 650, where do you suggest i can apply besides:
1. UMD
2. Purdue

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Hi,

I am an undergad senior this year, with GPA 3.4 right now. I am planning to apply to an MSF program this year. I come from China, but I read my university at U.S. I am major in Statistics and Economics. I am starting late for application. I do not have GMAT score yet, but I will take the test on November. I hope I could get 700+. I did summer internship at Bank of China, had experience of being a Econ TA for summer quarter, and promoted one Chinese summer program in U.S.

My target schools are:
1) UVA
2) Rochester
3) Boston College (I heard this program from some Chinese websites, but not sure whether it is a good one.)
4) Vanderbilt

Also, if you have any recommendation, please let me know!

Thanks!
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
yaxianpppp wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I am an undergad senior this year, with GPA 3.4 right now. I am planning to apply to an MSF program this year. I come from China, but I read my university at U.S. I am major in Statistics and Economics. I am starting late for application. I do not have GMAT score yet, but I will take the test on November. I hope I could get 700+. I did summer internship at Bank of China, had experience of being a Econ TA for summer quarter, and promoted one Chinese summer program in U.S.

My target schools are:
1) UVA
2) Rochester
3) Boston College (I heard this program from some Chinese websites, but not sure whether it is a good one.)
4) Vanderbilt

Thanks!

Maybe keep Rochester as a safety, but I think you could aim higher. Honestly, I would do Johns Hopkins or UIUC over Rochester. JHU benefits from being in DC or Baltimore which is close to NYC relatively speaking. Plus you have Philly, Baltimore and DC nearby. UIUC is a great Chicago feeder and well known back in China.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
silver8 wrote:
Hi,

I am a Bcom Mba with 5yrs of work experience and i am planning to apply to an MSF program(fall 2015) .
With 70% at undergrad level, 8.23/10 CGPA at post grad and gmat score 650, where do you suggest i can apply besides:
1. UMD
2. Purdue

Thanks!

UIUC, Santa Clara, Johns Hopkins, Ohio State.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi MSFHQ,

You have gave me some advice before in this post profile-evaluation-for-ms-finance-186868.html
Would you mind go into that post again and give me some more professional advice about my target school list after knowing my gmat score?

Thank you so much
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot!! But when you said I could aim higher, you mean beside all my four target school? Do you have any suggestion? I also think about Duke. What do you think about this one? I worry about my background of international student, so I am playing cautious now.

Also talking about JHU, I know this is a new program. I wonder whether this program has high reputation in finance area.

Thanks!

MSFHQ wrote:
yaxianpppp wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

My target schools are:
1) UVA
2) Rochester
4) Vanderbilt

Thanks!

Maybe keep Rochester as a safety, but I think you could aim higher. Honestly, I would do Johns Hopkins or UIUC over Rochester. JHU benefits from being in DC or Baltimore which is close to NYC relatively speaking. Plus you have Philly, Baltimore and DC nearby. UIUC is a great Chicago feeder and well known back in China.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I'm an international student in a U.S undergraduate school.

Here is my profile:
Finance majored
GPA 3.86
GMAT 690 -Q50 V34
Have a two month internship experience at American Insurance Association.

I am shooting for MSF programs of CMC, BC, UTAustin, UIUC, JHU and OSU.

What are my chances?

Thanks in advance :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,
I am Samira. I am interested to apply in MSF program. I will really appreciate if you kindly help me choose the right school for me.

My Background
I have completed my MBA (major finance) from a top ranked university of Bangladesh in June, 2011. Then I worked for 11 months in a university as a lecturer and taught Corporate Finance. I also did a two-month internship in a micro-finance research institution. Then I came to USA in June, 2012 with my husband who is currently doing PhD at Penn State. So I do not have any job for 2 years now as I came in spouse visa. But I completed level 2 of CFA program by this time and also attempted for level 3 on June, 2014 but I failed. Now I want to pursue MsF because I don't have idea of application of my knowledge. Besides, I don't know the job market, interview style, business communication in US. My career goal is to work for 2-3 years in financial industry preferably corporate finance and then start PhD in Finance.

My Profile
Undergrad( major in Fiance) CGPA : 3.85 ( on a scale of 4.00)
MBA ( Major In Finance) CGPA : 3.83 ( on a scale of 4.00)
GMAT : 620 (V29, Q46)
Toefl : Due on December 1st week
Work experience: 11 months as a Lecturer in a university of Bangladesh

My questions
1. Could you please suggest me some schools that will offer admission with tuition waiver or TA or RA?
2. Do you think I should retake my GMAT? I wrote the GMAT once in 2012 but I scored 600 ( V24, Q48). This time I focused more on verbal and thus ended up with low score on quant.
Here, I must mention that I am not considering the ranking of school. I just want to start any school that offers admission with funding.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi MSFHQ,

I want to share my detailed profile with you:

X: 84.2%
XII: 84.8%
B. Tech Electronics (Mumbai University): 70%
MBA Finance: 7.3/10
CFA Level 3 Candidate June 2015, FRM Level 1 Cleared
3 years of Work Ex. in Enterprise Risk Management in a major Indian IT firm
Recos from CFO and CRO.
GMAT: 680

Kindly guide for the colleges where I should apply for MS Finance in US and if possible I can get some amount of financial aid as well.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
ReneeStone wrote:
Hi, I'm an international student in a U.S undergraduate school.

Here is my profile:
Finance majored
GPA 3.86
GMAT 690 -Q50 V34
Have a two month internship experience at American Insurance Association.

I am shooting for MSF programs of CMC, BC, UTAustin, UIUC, JHU and OSU.

What are my chances?

Thanks in advance :)

3.9 and a 690 GMAT, You are in at CMC and BC. Also UT Austin unless something weird happens. Keep OSU as a back up and forget the other two. IMO, you'll get scholarship money at CMC.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
moonia wrote:
Hello,
I am Samira. I am interested to apply in MSF program. I will really appreciate if you kindly help me choose the right school for me.

My Background
I have completed my MBA (major finance) from a top ranked university of Bangladesh in June, 2011. Then I worked for 11 months in a university as a lecturer and taught Corporate Finance. I also did a two-month internship in a micro-finance research institution. Then I came to USA in June, 2012 with my husband who is currently doing PhD at Penn State. So I do not have any job for 2 years now as I came in spouse visa. But I completed level 2 of CFA program by this time and also attempted for level 3 on June, 2014 but I failed. Now I want to pursue MsF because I don't have idea of application of my knowledge. Besides, I don't know the job market, interview style, business communication in US. My career goal is to work for 2-3 years in financial industry preferably corporate finance and then start PhD in Finance.

My Profile
Undergrad( major in Fiance) CGPA : 3.85 ( on a scale of 4.00)
MBA ( Major In Finance) CGPA : 3.83 ( on a scale of 4.00)
GMAT : 620 (V29, Q46)
Toefl : Due on December 1st week
Work experience: 11 months as a Lecturer in a university of Bangladesh

My questions
1. Could you please suggest me some schools that will offer admission with tuition waiver or TA or RA?
2. Do you think I should retake my GMAT? I wrote the GMAT once in 2012 but I scored 600 ( V24, Q48). This time I focused more on verbal and thus ended up with low score on quant.
Here, I must mention that I am not considering the ranking of school. I just want to start any school that offers admission with funding.

Thank you.

IMO, I would advise not to do an MSF. You already have an MBA and are studying for L3 of the CFA. No schools besides PSU Online that are near you and your husband. Plus you won't learn anything you already don't know.

I'd look into maybe a cert program at PSU or going to their career office and talking with them. Seems like you just need some familiarization with US interviewing and hiring. I'd reach out to the Bangladeshi community and see if maybe someone who has done this already could help you navigate the waters.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
sanyam07 wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

Recos from CFO and CRO.

Kindly guide for the colleges where I should apply for MS Finance in US and if possible I can get some amount of financial aid as well.

GMAT is fine, but what does your GPA convert to? Good rec's. IMO, you have an MBA and most programs won't accept you. Maybe look at PT programs or something. I am sure there are some places that would take your tuition, but you aren't going to find many who will give you scholarships to study. If you do I doubt they will be helpful when it comes to finding a job.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Hey,
I am an international student studying in the US for college and I am looking into master program in UK.

Please evaluate my profile for my chance in master of finance and master of management. I'm really panic right now.

School: UCLA, Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics program and with emphasis in accounting

My GPA: 2.95(my weakest point, will be in the application) I will provide with 3.0 GPA after I finish this quarter as supplement after I submit application.

GMAT: 740. Q 50 V 40

Internship experience: Citi corporate banking summer analyst in Citi Europe Plc
Standard Bank investment banking summer intern

School I am looking into: LSE MSc Finance and MSc Management,
Imperial MSc Finance and MSc international healthcare Management
UCL Msc Management
King's college MSc Finance
Warwick MSc Finance and MSc Management
LBS MSc Finance and MSc Management

US schools: Wakeforest, Rochester, Columbia( it is ridiculous I know), John Hopkins

I know my GPA will hurt me a lot but I wonder if my GMAT can compensate it? Do I stand a chance? My dream schools are Imperial and LSE.

Thank you very very much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MSFHQ wrote:
sanyam07 wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

Recos from CFO and CRO.

GMAT is fine, but what does your GPA convert to? Good rec's. IMO, you have an MBA and most programs won't accept you. Maybe look at PT programs or something. I am sure there are some places that would take your tuition, but you aren't going to find many who will give you scholarships to study. If you do I doubt they will be helpful when it comes to finding a job.

Thanks a lot for replying.

I am based out of India, and my MBA and B.Tech is also from India. GPA conversion would be around 3.7. I guess, PT programs won't allow me to work in US after the completion of the course and I will have to return back to my country.
I have finalized on applying to: WUSTL, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Rochester, UIUC.

Do you consider MBA Finance from India would be a problem for me to get into MSF program of these universities? Main reason for me to do MSF is to get an opportunity to work in the US, I know there won't be much value addition for me after doing 2 year MBA finance and CFA level 2.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts