It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My bad day GMAT 560 (Q49 V20). Should I retake ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My bad day GMAT 560 (Q49 V20). Should I retake ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 22:44
I don't know what happen to me that day. 13th Oct 2017. I usually spend 2-3 hours in week days and 5 hours on weekend. My mock test is always over 650 (GMAT club Quant and Verbal combine) and over 700 on GMAT Prep 1 and 2. My real test score was 560. When I saw the mark on screen. It was shock. Really just imagine something couldn't happen.

I have nearly 6 weeks ahead for R1 with 1 English test (Toefl ibt) to finish. Should I retake GMAT together with Toefl ibt or just keep my GMAT mark then apply?

My dream score is just 680. Will 1 month enough for me to archive that score. I have to split my time for TOEFL also. Could you suggest any good material for TOEFL?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: HBS '20, Booth '20, IIMC
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.91
Re: My bad day GMAT 560 (Q49 V20). Should I retake ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 23:49
thaihoang305_gmat wrote:
I don't know what happen to me that day. 13th Oct 2017. I usually spend 2-3 hours in week days and 5 hours on weekend. My mock test is always over 650 (GMAT club Quant and Verbal combine) and over 700 on GMAT Prep 1 and 2. My real test score was 560. When I saw the mark on screen. It was shock. Really just imagine something couldn't happen.

I have nearly 6 weeks ahead for R1 with 1 English test (Toefl ibt) to finish. Should I retake GMAT together with Toefl ibt or just keep my GMAT mark then apply?

My dream score is just 680. Will 1 month enough for me to archive that score. I have to split my time for TOEFL also. Could you suggest any good material for TOEFL?

It happens. I suggest you retake. If you scored 700 plus in prep. I will definitely recommend you to give it a go. A month is good enough to boost your score.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 19:08
Hi thaihoang305_gmat,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) How did you score on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 173

D

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 23:14
thaihoang305_gmat wrote:

Hi thaihoang305_gmat,

Here are few links and strategies that should help you:

1. First you need to check this - https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html
Because this links asks you all those question which could make sure whether the 700 in GMATPrep were real or fluke.

2. you need ESR report to really see what went wrong on the test day. You may look at this link to see what all $24.95 spent on ESR can help you with:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/information- ... 21111.html

After you have the analysis of your prep level and test day with the help of the above, you would know whether 30 days will be sufficient or not.

those couple of questions correct in the start and end can make a huge difference on your score.

If you give it a go for 30days time then do the followings:

1. You need to focus on official questions.
2. Try to learn everything those questions have to offer.
3. Try to find out what exactly made that question tough or silly for you to mark it wrong.
4. what you learn on a day - revise that on the next day, 4th day and on 7th day. Seems tough to do right? but it can do wonders.
5. Whenever you need to rely on CAT score it needs to be GMATPrep (3,4,5 & 6 - aprt of exam packs 1&2).

so the recipe is:

1. do less but learn more.
2. never repeat a mistake.
3. revise revise revise.
4. the importance of 1st and last set of questions.
5. sense of 1 minute and 2 minutes.

Congrats on good Quant score :)

Hope this helps you :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 10:46
Hey thaihoang305_gmat,

Sorry to hear about the low score compared to your mock prep tests- it happens. Something must have happened on the verbal section. Did you run out of time at the end? I would say stick with it and give it another go, if you can. You're testing much higher than a 560 and it could have just been a bad test day. I've heard that eGMAT does wonders quickly on verbal, so maybe give it a try if you have the resources (time and money).

Best of luck to you!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 56

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 11:36
thaihoang305_gmat wrote:

Hi thaihoang305_gmat,

Best step going forward is to order the ESR.
Once you have an ESR, you will have more depth into why you messed up in Verbal?
Once you have an ESR, the experts at our forum will be better able to find a solution
to your problem.

I feel with a right mindset, one month is enough to push your 560 to a 700.

Hope that helps!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 19

Re: My bad day GMAT 560 (Q49 V20). Should I retake ?   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2017, 11:36

My bad day GMAT 560 (Q49 V20). Should I retake ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap