Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [8]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Mycorrhizal fungi infect more plants than do any other fungi and are [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone explain question 2? (I have read deepshikha12's explanation, but still unclear)
Why E and not D? I chose D because it looks like an irrelevant answer choice. The reason is because the passage does not mention anything about the potential of the research topic for other researchers in other fields
For E, it's totally relevant to the passage. The passage was about mycorrhizal infection and the uptake of phosphate, so botanist can further develop it by researching about the degree of relationship
Thank you
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [2]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Mycorrhizal fungi infect more plants than do any other fungi and are [#permalink]
Kudos
lehieu30794 wrote:
Can someone explain question 2? (I have read deepshikha12's explanation, but still unclear)
Why E and not D? I chose D because it looks like an irrelevant answer choice. The reason is because the passage does not mention anything about the potential of the research topic for other researchers in other fields
For E, it's totally relevant to the passage. The passage was about mycorrhizal infection and the uptake of phosphate, so botanist can further develop it by researching about the degree of relationship
Thank you

Hey man. When I saw the choices, E seemed like a classic GMAT trap to me. In fact, it is the only answer choice that directly mentioned relevant words from the passage. First instinct would be to rule E out immediately (I have been trying to fight this instinct lately). D is such a general choice - even if you do not whether our passage falls under biology, you know that the biologist is looking for something outside his specialization (could be literally anything). On close inspection of E, you will see that E the details of E are definitely not given in the passage even though the words maybe some. I am not going to lie though, I couldn't figure out E properly either, but I knew E is the answer because of the trap I mentioned above and also because I could make sense of the other options.
Hope this helps! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Mycorrhizal fungi infect more plants than do any other fungi and are [#permalink]
Brian123 wrote:
lehieu30794 wrote:
Thank you

Hey man. When I saw the choices, E seemed like a classic GMAT trap to me. In fact, it is the only answer choice that directly mentioned relevant words from the passage. First instinct would be to rule E out immediately (I have been trying to fight this instinct lately). D is such a general choice - even if you do not whether our passage falls under biology, you know that the biologist is looking for something outside his specialization (could be literally anything). On close inspection of E, you will see that E the details of E are definitely not given in the passage even though the words maybe some. I am not going to lie though, I couldn't figure out E properly either, but I knew E is the answer because of the trap I mentioned above and also because I could make sense of the other options.
Hope this helps! :)

I too got this question wrong in the first pass. :x

I think the reason E is the correct answer is that a botanist who is conducting experiments to determine the relationship between degree of mycorrhizal infection and expected uptake of phosphate would already know all the things the passage is telling; his or her research and understanding would already be way advanced than what is being discussed in the passage.

Hence, the information in the passage would not be adding any value to his or her research.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
In Q4 option A we cannot confirm to at least. The passage only talks of three and there is no indication that there can be more explanations to the phenomenon.

daagh Please guide.

atleast 3 = (3, 4, 5, 6, ...... till all possible explanations)
The passage doesn't say there could or couldn't be more than three reasons. But the passage clearly states the three possible explanations.
Hence we KNOW for a fact that:
There ARE 3 possible explanations, maybe more, but MINIMUM 3 explanations
Minimum 3 = atleast 3.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Guys in question 4, why isn't E correct? In passage last line it says undetermined ie., reason for increase is not known from any of those 3. Then how can we choose A? I felt option E said exactly what is said in last line about increase in uptake

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
For Q2, why is A ruled out ?
Since no information about Profitability or Product development is mentioned - I chose this as the answer.
Can anyone guide me with this.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
MeherAbhijeet wrote:
For Q2, why is A ruled out ?
Since no information about Profitability or Product development is mentioned - I chose this as the answer.
Can anyone guide me with this.

The passage discusses the potential benefits and applications of mycorrhizal fungi in the field of plant growth and agriculture, particularly in improving phosphate uptake, nitrogen fixation, and resistance to harmful root fungi. These benefits could indeed be of interest to a researcher looking for profitable areas of research and product development in the agriculture or biotechnology sectors. The passage provides information that suggests the potential economic impact of harnessing mycorrhizal associations for agricultural purposes. Therefore, the passage is suited to the needs of a researcher seeking new avenues for research and development that could lead to profitable outcomes. (A) is incorrect.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts