Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 16:12 It is currently 07 May 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2856 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented [#permalink]
can someone explain what is the problem with A??????????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented [#permalink]
yogesh610 wrote:
can someone explain what is the problem with A??????????

Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented it, would operate more smoothly and efficiently than the current system. So we should devote the resources necessary to accomplish the conversion as soon as possible.

Nakai: We should keep the current system for as long as we can. The cost in time and money of converting to the new system would be greater than any predicted benefits.

Gist of their argument.
Naima wants to update the system immediately. Nakai doesn't want to update immediately.
Both have their reasons to back their claims.

Naima and Nakai disagree with each other over whether

(A) The predicted benefits of the new computer system will be realized. they are not arguing about when the results will be realized
(B) It is essential to have the best computer system available. they are not arguing over this
(C) Accomplishing the conversion is technically impossible. Out of scope clearly
(D) The current computer system does not work well enough to do what it is supposed to do. not the point of their discussion
(E) The conversion to a new computer system should be delayed. correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Kudos
Agreed. I think the key is to understand the stimulus like this:
Naima: New system is more efficient. Therefore, we should update immediately.
Nakai: Regardless of efficiency, it costs us too much money and time to update. Wherefore, we should not update immediately (if at all).

Put this way it is obvious that A cannot be the answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2856 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Let’s break down the argument.

Naima is of the opinion that the new computer system should be should be implemented as soon as possible as it would operate smoothly and would be more efficient. Naima believes that all the necessary resources should be used for the conversion.

Nakai disagrees as she believes that time and cost for the conversion would outweigh a the predicted benefits.

(A) The predicted benefits of the new computer system will be realized- Incorrect.
This an attractive answer choice and a classic case of what is known as a Shell game answer choice. Nakain never questions whether the benefits will be realised but rather speculates that the time and cost for the conversion will outweigh the benefits.

(B) It is essential to have the best computer system available- Incorrect.
Nothing in the passage justifies this choice. Further avoid answer choices that use extremely strong words such as ‘it is essential to have the best etc’ as the passage doesn’t support such strong words.

(C) Accomplishing the conversion is technically impossible- Incorrect.
Nowhere in the passage it says that the conversion is impossible. It just says that it may be costly and time consuming.

(D) The current computer system does not work well enough to do what it is supposed to do- Incorrect.
Nothing in the passage talks about this. This choice is Out of Scope.

(E) The conversion to a new computer system should be delayed- Correct.
This choice can be easily inferred from the 1st statement of Nakai “We should keep the current system for as long as we can”. Nakai infers that the conversion should be delayed till the time the benefits are more than the time and cost.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts