GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 13:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:17) correct 37% (01:02) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented it, would operate more smoothly and efficiently than the current system. So we should devote the resources necessary to accomplish the conversion as soon as possible.

Nakai: We should keep the current system for as long as we can. The cost in time and money of converting to the new system would be greater than any predicted benefits.

Naima and Nakai disagree with each other over whether

(A) The predicted benefits of the new computer system will be realized.
(B) It is essential to have the best computer system available.
(C) Accomplishing the conversion is technically impossible.
(D) The current computer system does not work well enough to do what it is supposed to do.
(E) The conversion to a new computer system should be delayed

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31
Re: Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 01:56
I think close choices are A and C. A looks more appropriate

Sent from my ZUK Z2132 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31
Re: Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 01:57
shekyonline wrote:
I think close choices are A and D A looks more appropriate

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 04:10
can someone explain what is the problem with A??????????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 00:07
yogesh610 wrote:
can someone explain what is the problem with A??????????

Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented it, would operate more smoothly and efficiently than the current system. So we should devote the resources necessary to accomplish the conversion as soon as possible.

Nakai: We should keep the current system for as long as we can. The cost in time and money of converting to the new system would be greater than any predicted benefits.

Gist of their argument.
Naima wants to update the system immediately. Nakai doesn't want to update immediately.
Both have their reasons to back their claims.

Naima and Nakai disagree with each other over whether

(A) The predicted benefits of the new computer system will be realized. they are not arguing about when the results will be realized
(B) It is essential to have the best computer system available. they are not arguing over this
(C) Accomplishing the conversion is technically impossible. Out of scope clearly
(D) The current computer system does not work well enough to do what it is supposed to do. not the point of their discussion
(E) The conversion to a new computer system should be delayed. correct
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 05:55
Agreed. I think the key is to understand the stimulus like this:
Naima: New system is more efficient. Therefore, we should update immediately.
Nakai: Regardless of efficiency, it costs us too much money and time to update. Wherefore, we should not update immediately (if at all).

Put this way it is obvious that A cannot be the answer.
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 13:49
Let’s break down the argument.

Naima is of the opinion that the new computer system should be should be implemented as soon as possible as it would operate smoothly and would be more efficient. Naima believes that all the necessary resources should be used for the conversion.

Nakai disagrees as she believes that time and cost for the conversion would outweigh a the predicted benefits.

(A) The predicted benefits of the new computer system will be realized- Incorrect.
This an attractive answer choice and a classic case of what is known as a Shell game answer choice. Nakain never questions whether the benefits will be realised but rather speculates that the time and cost for the conversion will outweigh the benefits.

(B) It is essential to have the best computer system available- Incorrect.
Nothing in the passage justifies this choice. Further avoid answer choices that use extremely strong words such as ‘it is essential to have the best etc’ as the passage doesn’t support such strong words.

(C) Accomplishing the conversion is technically impossible- Incorrect.
Nowhere in the passage it says that the conversion is impossible. It just says that it may be costly and time consuming.

(D) The current computer system does not work well enough to do what it is supposed to do- Incorrect.
Nothing in the passage talks about this. This choice is Out of Scope.

(E) The conversion to a new computer system should be delayed- Correct.
This choice can be easily inferred from the 1st statement of Nakai “We should keep the current system for as long as we can”. Nakai infers that the conversion should be delayed till the time the benefits are more than the time and cost.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Re: Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2017, 13:49

Naima: The proposed new computer system, once we fully implemented

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap