Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink]
Expert Reply
arunnims wrote:
Hello,

I am an IT engineer having 8.5 years exp with minimal experience in management field. Got decent acads...
10th - 88%
12th - 73%
b.tech - 70%
I wish to do an mba in marketing/finance as I am interested in those topics and also planning for a 1 year program in Europe instead of the 2 year ones. But I don't know whether my profile will be suited for 1 year program. Gmat official site says "One-year programs are a great fit for career enhancers – those who wish to continue in the same job function or industry but at a higher level". What are my chances of getting an admit for 1 year program with a good gmat score and above profile? Do I really need some good work exp before joining an mba or basic idea of business will help? Thanks in advance.

Hey dude,
Let's start with some questions: what did you DO during those 8.5 years? Where did you work? what is your current post? how many promotions did you get in this time? How big teams do you work on? do you have any leadership experience? what are your biggest achievements? What do you have outside work? What about volunteer work? What are your goals? (not what you want to learn but what position you want to hold in what company??

We need more info!!!!!

If you can post back here with more info, I can better advise you.
Best,
JF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thank you guys for the quick response. Below find some details about my profile.
I have worked with 3 different firms for the last 8.5 years and played roles such as module leader, team leader (team size 8-10) and managing consultant. This includes international exposure of 2 years in Europe and 3 months in US. Also I have brief stint as a trainer, recruiter and looking forward for a double-career change. Since I have some exposure to European culture and industry, I considered the 1 year program mainly in UK, France, Netherlands or Germany. I was responsible for organizing workshops on environmental awareness and blood donation, for arranging auto-expo and cultural events during my graduation. I was also an active member and representative of students in university politics. Post mba I wish to pursue the role of financial advisor or marketing manager. Does a good gmat score will make my profile more competitive?

Good day!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
What projects did you work on while a management consultant? In which functional areas were these projects? As a team leader did you have direct or indirect reports? What leadership competencies and styles did you develop?

You are trying to show transferable skills and knowledge to your future career in order to alleviate concerns among business schools about your switching careers.

But given you are a double-career switcher I would recommend you reconsider attending a one year program. A two year program offers greater coursework in your future areas, internships, other experiential learning opportunities, extracurricular activities related to your future interests, etc. to better facilitate this transition.

A higher GMAT score will make you more competitive for both one year and two year programs, but given your goals, a one year program might not be best for you.

Best of luck,
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
arunnims wrote:
Thank you guys for the quick response. Below find some details about my profile.
I have worked with 3 different firms for the last 8.5 years and played roles such as module leader, team leader (team size 8-10) and managing consultant. This includes international exposure of 2 years in Europe and 3 months in US. Also I have brief stint as a trainer, recruiter and looking forward for a double-career change. Since I have some exposure to European culture and industry, I considered the 1 year program mainly in UK, France, Netherlands or Germany. I was responsible for organizing workshops on environmental awareness and blood donation, for arranging auto-expo and cultural events during my graduation. I was also an active member and representative of students in university politics. Post mba I wish to pursue the role of financial advisor or marketing manager. Does a good gmat score will make my profile more competitive?

Good day!

Hey there dude...

so you CAN apply to a one year program if you believe that for personal/financial/whatever reasons this is better for you. But two comments on that 1. It likely WILL be harder for you to actually make that change you propose in a one year program. People DO make career changes from a one year program, and a lot depends on YOUR ability to convince potential employers of YOUR capacity to succeed in this new industry/function. Buuuuuut be aware that you might find yourself falling back upon your "old career". Two: even if this is your TRUE goals, I do not suggest presenting this story to the Adcom as it will make little sense, and probably reduce your chances of getting an accept.

The top few Euro programs (LBS, INSEAD, IMD, IE) might be a bit tough for your profile (although you can always try) even with a GMAt of 730+ but the other European schools might provide you more opportunities. For finance I would privilege schools in England or Switzerland as they have both big finance centers and location counts for a lot.

Hope this helps!!
GMAT Club Bot