GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need an Eval

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Need an Eval  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2019, 00:46
Recently took the GMAT for the first time : 720

Work Ex : 2 years of work ex as an administrator in our family run hospital. Trustee of an NGO (filling in my father's shoes) working in furthering female education in the state (candidates mostly from rural / backward areas) in the fields of medicine and nursing, and organising subsidised health camps. Worked in the same informally during college and started new training programs during the same period.

Based in India ; Planning to get an MBA, work for a couple years, widen my network, then return for expanding the business.

Education : CGPA 7.2 in Civil Eng, 10th 89, 12th - 78.

Extra curriculars : I speak four languages, am certified in music (Guitar) by Rockschool London and Indian Classical. Also into digital art and started a global scale (although small) business in the same.

Participated in '08 Commonwealth youth games in the closing ceremony.

What chances do I have at 10-30 schools? Especially IMD, Switzerland.

Thanks in advance.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Need an Eval  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 08:06
Hi randhir1,

Thank you for your post. Your work and NGO experience sound quite interesting. I also like that there's alignment between your professional life and NGO work in that they both accrue toward social impact. That creates a coherent foundation for you, and seems to begin to identify the passion-and-purpose behind what drives you.

GOALS

I am curious, however, as to what your short-term goals are. You wrote "work for a couple of years," but what exactly does that mean? When the time comes for essays and applications, your goals will often need to be super-specific. You can read more about questions to ask yourself and specificity to develop here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

Part of story and goal development will require "unpacking" what exactly you've done, worked on, and accomplished within the hospital and NGO (again, at a super specific level). Looking ahead to your short-, medium-, and long-term goals, we'll want to identify where exactly you hope to work and what impact you hope to have (see the aforementioned blog post).

That way you can develop a narrative around how who you are and what you've done to this point -- plus the MBA -- equals or leads to these goals. What knowledge, skills, and experience do you already have that are relevant to these goals? What knowledge, skills, and experience are you missing and therefore need to acquire via the MBA? How exactly will you acquire those things at each MBA program (courses, clubs, extracurriculars, culture, community, location, etc.)? And how exactly will you uniquely contribute to each program?

EXPERIENCE

Another area that pops out to me is your amount of work experience. Applying with two of years of experience to enroll with three years of experience is pretty much the earliest year at which a non-deferral candidate can reasonably apply. But even then, you'll be going up against similar applicants who have twice as much experience, promotions, more leadership experience, etc., and who more squarely fall on top of program averages (whereas you'll be at the bottom of most schools' middle 80% range for work experience).

This will be the case even more so among European programs, which trend a little older than their U.S. counterparts. If you feel motivated to apply this year, then by all means give it a go if that's what your heart is telling you to do. But if you do so, I'd just be aware that (a) you'd probably have higher school upside in a future year, and (b) you are going to need to proactively address lower-end work experience in your applications. This would mean, for example, ensuring that your resume and essays do well in presenting your leadership experiences (where appropriate) and "why now" (in essays), and that your recommenders go out of their way to highlight your professional maturity, leadership, why you're ready for an MBA now, etc.

(IMD students, for example, have an average of seven years of work experience.)

Please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation if you'd like to continue the conversation or ask any follow-up questions. Thank you!!

https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need an Eval   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2019, 08:06

Need an Eval

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep