GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need Evaluation of My Profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Need Evaluation of My Profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Mar 2019, 07:08
Hi,

I'm planning to apply for MBA schools early next year and would like to have your advise on program selections.

Background:

Ethnicity: Asian
Visa: F1 working on OPT

GMAT: 750

BS: Psychology; GPA 3.5; degree obtained outside the US
PhD: Educational Psychology; GPA 3.9; degree obtained from a Big 10 school

WE: 3 years working in non-profit educational institutions/organizations as a research scientist/data scientist. Currently co-managing one of the three most important projects at the organization. I am also doing independent consultation outside of work.

Others: tons of volunteer experiences, most of which were related to education

I would like to switch my career through MBA. My goal is to get into the consulting or market research or finance industry. Any advise on what programs I should target at? Is there any chance for me to get into M7? Thank you!

Originally posted by lynlyn on 20 Mar 2019, 08:34.
Last edited by lynlyn on 21 Mar 2019, 07:08, edited 2 times in total.
Admission Consultant
P
Re: Need Evaluation of My Profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 01:36
lynlyn wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to apply for MBA schools early next year and would like to have your advise on program selections.

Background:

WE: 3 years working in non-profit educational institutions/organizations as a research scientist/data scientist. Currently co-managing one of the three most important projects at the organization.

I would like to switch my career through MBA. My goal is to get into the consulting or market research or finance industry. Any advice on what programs I should target at? Is there any chance for me to get into M7? Thank you!

Have you explored getting into consulting firms without an MBA? the top ones hire PhDs for specific positions, so you may find a direct entry without doing an MBA

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS
Intern
Intern
B
Need Evaluation of My Profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Mar 2019, 06:36
Thank you Namita. I have not explored that option. I am not sure of (1) whether they hire PhDs with work experience (I know they do hire fresh PhDs) and (2) whether they hire PhDs with degrees in education and psychology. But I will surely do more research on this.

Meanwhile, getting into consulting is not my sole purpose of applying for MBA programs. I would like to receive a systematic training in business and see if there are areas that interest me more. Plus I do not think the networks developed at school could be easily developed elsewhere.

That being said, do you find my profile sufficient for M7? Or do you suggest adjusting my target schools? Thank you.

MBADecoder wrote:
lynlyn wrote:
Hi,

Background:

WE: 3 years working in non-profit educational institutions/organizations as a research scientist/data scientist. Currently co-managing one of the three most important projects at the organization.

I would like to switch my career through MBA. My goal is to get into the consulting or market research or finance industry. Any advice on what programs I should target at? Is there any chance for me to get into M7? Thank you!

Have you explored getting into consulting firms without an MBA? the top ones hire PhDs for specific positions, so you may find a direct entry without doing an MBA

Originally posted by lynlyn on 21 Mar 2019, 06:37.
Last edited by lynlyn on 22 Mar 2019, 06:36, edited 2 times in total.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 04:48
lynlyn wrote:
Hi,

Background:

GMAT: 750

WE: 3 years working in non-profit educational institutions/organizations as a research scientist/data scientist. Currently co-managing one of the three most important projects at the organization. I am also doing independent consultation outside of work.

I would like to switch my career through MBA. My goal is to get into the consulting or market research or finance industry. Any advise on what programs I should target at? Is there any chance for me to get into M7? Thank you!

Hi lynlyn,

Thanks for posting! You've got an interesting background and great stats to boot. I think as long as your essays and story are clear and concise (specific roles post-MBA, why MBA?) you will be a competitive candidate at the M7.

I would focus on either finance or consulting/market research, otherwise it looks like you aren't sure what you want to do. It's ok to cast a wide net once you are in school, but admissions committees want to see that you've sat down to think about what you really want out of an MBA and that you've connected the dots. I think for your background, consulting with a skew towards data analytics makes more sense than finance since you've got experience leading projects and working with large sets of data.

Your next strep should be to narrow down your goals and think about who your recommendors should be. In addition, you should begin creating buckets of schools (reach, target, safety) after doing a bit of research. Let me know if you would like to discuss things further and feel free to reach out at scott@personalmbacoach.com. Happy to help!

Regards,
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 05:36
Hi lynlyn,

First of all Congratulations on your GMAT, you have done an excellent job there. Glad to see a profile like yours. According to me you overall have an excellent profile. The M7 must be doable if you can write excellent essays. But you should also target other B schools having excellent placement records in Consulting role.

While assessing your application, top b-schools look for candidates who have demonstrated leadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don’t necessarily mean leading teams – they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation, and career progression.

You can also evaluate your profile by using our ingenious tool called B-School Selector. The B-school selector is an intelligent B-Schools shortlisting tool designed by a team of expert consultants graduated from Ivy League B-Schools. This tool provides the list of B-Schools where you have fair chances of getting an admission based on certain parameters like GMAT Score, Work Experience, International Work Experience, and Academic Scores. Please Click here to use the tool.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 05:41
A few more thoughts for you to ponder on lynlyn:
  1. The academic arc, specifically the big10 school will help a lot. The GPA is something to like a lot too. On the objective scale, together with the GMAT, you'd be in the right ballpark!
  2. The work experience sounds good since it's in the data space which is quite relevant. It will however be important to understand the impact and career acceleration achieved therein. This is an area where it appears some part of brand sheen may have been reduced - so say more.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, I am afraid we don't speculate on school selection. That being said, I'd say you should develop more granularity and clarity in your post-MBA pitch. Not just for the schools, but for yourself too.
  4. You've not mentioned anything about ECs; this is why ECs matter. Anything here?

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need Evaluation of My Profile   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2019, 05:41

Need Evaluation of My Profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap