Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Send PM
Re: Need feedback on University of San Diego's full time MBA program. [#permalink]
Kudos
Piyush,
You are right to be skeptical about sudden jumps in MBA rankings and about Hult. USD is a solid program but I would not take on face value what they say about placement. Ask to see hard numbers (placement percentages, salaries, and names of companies). Ask what percentage of their MBAs have jobs outside of SD county. Also talk to USD MBAs for their input. Did USD offer you money? As for other California schools given your 650, you may a shot at UC Irvine which I consider a stronger school than USD.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/outcomes

PiyushK wrote:
Thank you Paul,

Even in my preliminary research I found that USD is good for those who want to become entrepreneur, but I was wondering how this school got 66th ranking all of a sudden.
For example, HULT was at 61st rank in FT's 2014th ranking, but this year it is completely out of that list. I got extremely bad feedback about HULT and I think that's the reason it is not in the list this year. Similarly, when I see USD in FT's ranking at 66th place, I can not understand that how it directly reached to 66th position in the world.

Actually, I scored 650 in GMAT and I am looking for an MBA program in California. USD's average GMAT is around 627 and I think I can comfortably get admission with this score. Post MBA I want to work for IT industry, as I am carrying around 5.3 years of experience in IT banking domain. Recently, I talked to USD's admission staff and they told me that most of their students get job in IT/technology companies, so I think it would be a good option for me. But, I want to further explore; I want to check whether it would be possible for me to get job after completing MBA from there in a good IT company preferable in Silicon Valley. Considering its ranking, what its staff said, and my gmat score, I think USD would be best fit for me. But, as I have very limited information, I am feeling that I am shooting in dark, trying to hit the target. if you don't mind could you please suggest me some good schools (in California) that I also consider or compare.

Thank you.

pbodine wrote:
Piyush,
USD's MBA program is primarily known for its entrepreneurial program which is well regarded. In terms of the benefits to you of earning an MBA at USD rather than a higher ranked school, I would frankly only consider it if you seek a career in the San Diego area, because USD's brand is largely limited to San Diego. Even in San Diego there is an alternative, UCSD's new Rady School. Between these two I might choose USD over UCSD if your interest is entrepreneurship.
Hope this helps,
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, https://www.paulsbodine.com/outcomes
Director
Director
Send PM
Need feedback on University of San Diego's full time MBA program. [#permalink]
pbodine wrote:
Piyush,
You are right to be skeptical about sudden jumps in MBA rankings and about Hult. USD is a solid program but I would not take on face value what they say about placement. Ask to see hard numbers (placement percentages, salaries, and names of companies). Ask what percentage of their MBAs have jobs outside of SD county. Also talk to USD MBAs for their input. Did USD offer you money? As for other California schools given your 650, you may a shot at UC Irvine which I consider a stronger school than USD.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, https://www.paulsbodine.com/outcomes

Paul, you have been a great help; Thank you so much for sharing your insight.

Yes, USD is offering scholarship up to 16k for 1st year and 10k for second year + paid graduate assistantship for 1st two semesters. So, I think program would cost me around 55k approx + living expenses $ + some miscellaneous $. Also, they told me that TATA Consultancy Services, a good Indian IT company, recruited some students last year. Further, USD's dean mentioned, in an online information session, that USD is going to double the strength of its graduate placement staff; I think management at USD is seriously working to maintain FT ranking they have got.

Well, as this year's admission cycle almost over, I have only few colleges left to apply. I have applied to some out of California schools as well such as Babson (diagonally opposite :) to SD) and I am expecting admission offer from it, as I performed well in its interview. UC Irvine's international deadline is over, so i will have to choose one between USD or Babson; I hope, next month picture would be much clear, when I will have offer letters in hand.

Regards,
PiyushK
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need feedback on University of San Diego's full time MBA program. [#permalink]
Great to hear that you've done your due diligence. You can be confident now in your decision.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/outcomes

PiyushK wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Piyush,

Paul, you have been a great help; Thank you so much for sharing your insight.

Yes, USD is offering scholarship up to 16k for 1st year and 10k for second year + paid graduate assistantship for 1st two semesters. So, I think program would cost me around 55k approx + living expenses $ + some miscellaneous $. Also, they told me that TATA Consultancy Services, a good Indian IT company, recruited some students last year. Further, USD's dean mentioned, in an online information session, that USD is going to double the strength of its graduate placement staff; I think management at USD is seriously working to maintain FT ranking they have got.

Well, as this year's admission cycle almost over, I have only few colleges left to apply. I have applied to some out of California schools as well such as Babson (diagonally opposite :) to SD) and I am expecting admission offer from it, as I performed well in its interview. UC Irvine's international deadline is over, so i will have to choose one between USD or Babson; I hope, next month picture would be much clear, when I will have offer letters in hand.

Regards,
PiyushK
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I'm currently at Student at Hult International Business School in San Francisco, and I'll just give you my 2 cents on what I think.

Hult is the #1 international business school in the world. The connections and perspectives I have come across here will span a lifetime and are invaluable. Their programs are one year, intense, and rewarding.

I'm Canadian and graduated from McGill University before coming to Hult. My standards for what I consider a topnotch business school are high. Hult meets those standards. I invested every last penny I saved to come here and I am very happy with my decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey Piyush,
I have also got an admission with almost the same level of scholarship that you were talking about. Im looking for a career change and I'm an aptitude trainer here in India. Have you accepted the offer from USD?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
First off, USD is for Americans so that should answer all of your questions! What is it with the Asian fixation of coming to America?? Is you country so boring or miserable?? Mexicans have a right to be here because half of this land used to belong to them and Europeans are allowed to come here as well because they took part in building the nation a long time ago but what have Asians done or worse yet Indians for this nation?? Are you serious, Indians??
GMAT Club Bot