GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NEED TO IMPROVE FROM 600 (QA 50, VA 23) TO 720 - ONLY 30 DAYS LEFT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
NEED TO IMPROVE FROM 600 (QA 50, VA 23) TO 720 - ONLY 30 DAYS LEFT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 03:22
Hi Folks,

I had given my exam last sunday and the result was quite disastrous.

Quite happy with the QA score, as i scored 50 in that. But in VA, i scored only 23.

It was quite shocking to me as in the veritas mock test and Manhattan , i consistently scored about 32-34 in VA.

I joined e-Gmat verbal especially SC part. But i fall miserably in that part only.

I am unable to understand what i have to do know, as i already completed full series of eGmat verbal course.

I need to apply for SPJain, as the last day to submit score is 14th August.

Waiting for your suggestions.

bb and GMATNinja please have a look into this.
e-GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Booth '21, CBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: NEED TO IMPROVE FROM 600 (QA 50, VA 23) TO 720 - ONLY 30 DAYS LEFT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 03:29
hi,
I am not an expert, but V 23 tells that you have considerable gaps in Verbal part. I recommend go over Manhattan SC book and Powerscore CR, for RC sorry, cant recommend much apart from reading reading and reading sophisticated texts. Good luck
Intern
Intern
B
Re: NEED TO IMPROVE FROM 600 (QA 50, VA 23) TO 720 - ONLY 30 DAYS LEFT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 01:05
nigina93 wrote:
hi,
I am not an expert, but V 23 tells that you have considerable gaps in Verbal part. I recommend go over Manhattan SC book and Powerscore CR, for RC sorry, cant recommend much apart from reading reading and reading sophisticated texts. Good luck

Thnx Nigina93, can you please give me an idea that frm where i can practise online verbal questions of GMAT level. Because i practised a lot from veritas, manhatten and scored 32-34 everytime.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 03:14
Hi adiryapunter,

I am sorry to know that you could not perform as well as you had hoped in the test. But do not be demotivated, instead, rise like a phoenix! Take this test as a stepping stone in your endeavor to reach your target score.

What Went Wrong?
I see that you used our course for Verbal preparation. Given your mock scores of V35, I would like to know a few things from you to be able to understand what went wrong –
a) Did you follow the process taught in the course during preparation and the test?
b) Did you give the MGMAT mock tests in a single sitting?
c) Was there anything else that impacted your performance during the test?

Write to us on support@e-gmat.com for us to be able to pin-point the exact issues by looking at the data from your dashboard. We want to help you reach your target score in time to be able to get through SP Jain.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 03:37
Hi @Aditee, thankx for your response. I mailed my ESR file to above mail id provided by you. Its from puneet_1106@yahoo.co.in. Please have a look and let me know my gaps.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 07:06
Hi adiryapunter,

Earlier this year, you posted that you had scored 590/Q49/V22 (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/feeling-dist ... l#p2018389). GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. These two Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same on both attempts (about 600 +/- a few points). Thus, even though this recent attempt was almost 5 months later, you continue to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in the same ways as before. By extension, it's possible that you have gotten 'stuck' at this particular score level. At fact value, it would likely take at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study to raise a 600 to a 720, but if you've developed any 'bad habits' during your prior months of study, then it might take even longer to achieve that Score Goal.

While it's understandable why you want to be done with the GMAT by August 14th (for the application deadline), there's no point in 'rushing in' an application if it isn't strong enough to get you into that Program. This is meant to say that you might need to push back your Test Date and consider a later application Round.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long did you study for each of your 3 attempts at the GMAT?
2) What study materials have you used for each attempt?
3) Are you planning to apply to any other Schools besides SP Jain?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 11:45
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your valuable analysis. Please find the below information :

It's around 2-3 hours during weekdays, while 5-6 hours during weekends.

I have used eGmat, Gmat Verbal review for Verbal Part and Official Guide for both Verbal and QA.
I have enrolled for Veritas and Manhatten test series.
In the last 4-5 tests that i had attempted, i scored approx 32-34 in Verbal in each test.

Yes i am planning to apply for SP Jain, some of the iim's and Great lakes besides SP Jain.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks & Regards,
Puneet
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 11:45
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi adiryapunter,

Earlier this year, you posted that you had scored 590/Q49/V22 (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/feeling-dist ... l#p2018389). GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. These two Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same on both attempts (about 600 +/- a few points). Thus, even though this recent attempt was almost 5 months later, you continue to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in the same ways as before. By extension, it's possible that you have gotten 'stuck' at this particular score level. At fact value, it would likely take at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study to raise a 600 to a 720, but if you've developed any 'bad habits' during your prior months of study, then it might take even longer to achieve that Score Goal.

While it's understandable why you want to be done with the GMAT by August 14th (for the application deadline), there's no point in 'rushing in' an application if it isn't strong enough to get you into that Program. This is meant to say that you might need to push back your Test Date and consider a later application Round.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your valuable analysis. Please find the below information :

It's around 2-3 hours during weekdays, while 5-6 hours during weekends.

I have used eGmat, Gmat Verbal review for Verbal Part and Official Guide for both Verbal and QA.
I have enrolled for Veritas and Manhatten test series.
In the last 4-5 tests that i had attempted, i scored approx 32-34 in Verbal in each test.

Yes i am planning to apply for SP Jain, some of the iim's and Great lakes besides SP Jain.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks & Regards,
Puneet
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 14:03
adiryapunter wrote:
Hi Folks,

I had given my exam last sunday and the result was quite disastrous.

Quite happy with the QA score, as i scored 50 in that. But in VA, i scored only 23.

It was quite shocking to me as in the veritas mock test and Manhattan , i consistently scored about 32-34 in VA.

I joined e-Gmat verbal especially SC part. But i fall miserably in that part only.

I am unable to understand what i have to do know, as i already completed full series of eGmat verbal course.

I need to apply for SPJain, as the last day to submit score is 14th August.

Waiting for your suggestions.

bb and GMATNinja please have a look into this.

With regards to Verbal there are a couple of options:

1. Check out the SC specific threads on this forum, some of them (generally those with a lot of kudos) are very helpful

2. Listen to some of the videos on the YT chanel from Veritas, Magoosh and GmatNinja

3. Maybe check out the link in my signature, it adresses some verbal topics in general.

All the best for your prep my friend,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 07:33
Hi adiryapunter,

Since your Verbal Scaled Score on this recent Official GMAT was so much lower than how you were scoring on your practice CATs, we should take a more detailed look at how you were taking your CATs:

1) Which brand(s) of CATs were you using?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 06:40
sorry, but it's time to lower your expectations

alternatively, just apply next cycle? not the end of the world. however, to get an accurate estimation of your true GMAT abilities, you should really be drawing your estimated score from OG practice tests, which you did not do. i have heard that veritas tests are easier than average

feel free to reach out ⁓

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 10:13
Hi adiryapunter,

I see that you have been preparing for the GMAT for some time but have been unable to improve your verbal score. You should consider making some changes to your study routine as well as giving yourself more time, so you can ensure that you have mastered GMAT verbal prior to taking your next GMAT.

When devising a new study routine, you are going to want to use a resource that allows you to FIRST learn the concepts and strategies related to SC, CR, and RC, and then you will need to put in a lot of dedicated practice to test yourself on the areas you have reviewed. For example, let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual CR topics: strengthening, weakening, resolve the paradox, etc. As you learn each CR problem type, do focused practice so you can track your knowledge in the topic. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly. You will want to follow this process for all verbal topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to efficiently answer questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your verbal score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

When you do dozens of the same type of question one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

Finally, you may find it helpful to read my article for more information regarding how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: NEED TO IMPROVE FROM 600 (QA 50, VA 23) TO 720 - ONLY 30 DAYS LEFT &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 10:13

NEED TO IMPROVE FROM 600 (QA 50, VA 23) TO 720 - ONLY 30 DAYS LEFT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap