It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need your advice Linda/Paul

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Need your advice Linda/Paul [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 05:52
Hi Linda/Paul,
I am also an MBA aspirant and very serious to apply this year. My profile is as under:
GMAT: 700 ( Q 49, V 35, AWA 5 )

Education : B.Tech (from premier college) - Topper
M.Tech: (IIT, very prestigious college of international repute) Among the toppers

Work Experience: 6+ years in Telecom domain(working as a technical leader, leading projects as well as involved in customer interaction)

AGE and gender : 30, Male

Extra curriculars: Good

Community services: Involvement in many NGOs, co founded one especially for providing micro credit facilities to underprevileged and now successfully running in multiple places with many volunteers.

Extra achievements: Class I officer in Indian railways (Qualified IES, UPSC one of the toughest exams to crack and considered very prestigious in India)

Expectations from MBA: A general management program with a focus on strategy/consulting/operations specifically for infrastructure/transportation/telecom domains.

Post MBA: In the short term I like to join consulting firms to hone my skills in consulting especially infrastructure consulting(rail, road, general transportation) and then join back Railways.

Bschool wish list:
1yr MBA (Europe): INSEAD, IMD, LSB, SAID, JUDGE, HEC
2yr MBA(US): Chicago GSB, Darden, Tuck

Based on my brief profile and career progress, does the above choice of schools realistic or are they out of reach for me or at best a longshot?
What are my chances of acceptance especially to INSEAD and JUDGE/SAID?

Thanks in advance

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Need your advice Linda/Paul [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 12:35
fsajjad,

Based on your profile, I think Chicago and Tuck will be longshots for you, but Darden should be more doable. Given your age, you should have better luck at European schools than U.S. schools. While INSEAD and LBS seem like longshots to me, I think you may have a decent chance at schools like Said, Judge, IMD, and HEC, but I would encourage you to add some 'safer' schools to your list. The challenge for you is that your profile -- male, Indian, IT -- is one that schools see a great many applicants from.

Hope this helps,

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 23:02
Thanks Paul for your prompt reply and the useful info.
Quote:
The challenge for you is that your profile -- male, Indian, IT -- is one that schools see a great many applicants from.

As per my understanding IT company stands for typical services company such as Infosys, Cognizant etc. I work in core telecom company. Will I be still be tagged working for an IT company?

Doesn't my profile attract attention of adcom given the fact that my achievements and my goals are bit different from the typical Indian IT male. I qualified IES, a prestigious Govt service and very tough to crack, while still working for the telecom company and post MBA I want to join back Govt.deptt(railways)? Isn't my profile different enough to be sensed by adcom so that they can place me in a separate bucket other than IIT(India IT Male)?

Thanks

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2009, 08:39
fsajjad,

By "IT" I mean technology generally. Your educational background is engineering, you work for a technology company, and your role is technical lead, so they will tend to want to put you in that bucket. I agree that there are elements of your profile that could be used to escape that bucket, and if we worked together those differentiators would be emphasized. I doubt they will care about the IES qualification, but certainly your goals are distinctive and should be emphasized.

Good luck,

Re: Need your advice Linda/Paul   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2009, 08:39

Need your advice Linda/Paul

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap