GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 13:53
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:04) correct 33% (01:04) wrong based on 2172 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 750

Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the job of increasing the wolf population in the federally designated recovery area, the number of which will however ultimately be dictated by the number of prey in the area.

(A) area, the number of which will however
(B) area; the size of the population, however, will
(C) area, however the number of wolves will
(D) area; the number of which will, however,
(E) area, when the size of the population will, however,

State Wildlife Officials

(A) Modifier / Meaning (the number of which)

(B) CORRECT

(C) Sentence Structure

(D) Sentence Structure (semi-colon) Modifier / Meaning (the number of which)

(E) Modifier (when)

First glance

All five choices begin with the word area, but some are followed by a comma and some are followed by a semi-colon, signaling a potential issue with Sentence Structure.

Issues

(1) Modifier / Meaning: the number of which; when

Sentence Structure: semi-colon

The number of which signals the start of a modifier; what is it modifying?

Logically, it should refer to the number of wolves, but the noun before the comma is the word area, an illogical match for the number of which Earlier, the sentence does talk about the wolf population, but the modifier is not talking about the number of wolf populations. Logically, it is talking about the number of wolves—a word that does not appear in the sentence. Eliminate choice (A) for a faulty modifier leading to an illogical meaning.

Scan the other answers to see how they try to fix this construction. First, look for any that repeat the number of which language. Answer (D) repeats this error. Answer (D) also introduces a semi-colon, but the portion after the semi-colon is not a complete sentence. Eliminate (D) for multiple errors.

The remaining answers change the structure more. Compare them:

…officials are scheduled to take over the job of increasing the wolf population in the…recovery

(B) area; the size of the population, however, will

(C) area, however the number of wolves will

(E) area, when the size of the population will, however,

Choice (B) has a semi-colon; is there a complete sentence after the semicolon? Yes, there is. Choices (C) and (E) do not have semi-colons. When answers switch between having and not having a semi-colon, it is sometime the case that an incorrect answer will contain a comma-splice or run-on sentence (She likes cheese, however she is lactose intolerant). Check answers (C) and (E) to make sure that the plain comma is okay.

Answer (C) is a comma-splice! Officials are scheduled to take over…in the area, however the number of wolves will be dictated… Eliminate choice (C) for faulty sentence structure.

Choice (E) introduces a different modifier marker after area: when. This marker is used to discuss timeframes. The earlier part of the sentence does discuss a timeframe (next month), but this modifier is not happening next month. Rather, even though the officials are going to start trying, next month, to increase the wolf population, it’s the case that the number of prey in the area will determine the ultimate wolf population. Eliminate choice (E) for faulty modifier meaning.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) introduces a semi-colon; both the portions before and after the semi-colon are complete sentences. The portion after the semi-colon explicitly states that it is talking about the size of the wolf population; the meaning is logical.

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 03:20
Top Contributor
Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the job of increasing the wolf population in the federally designated recovery area, the number of which will however ultimately be dictated by the number of prey in the area.

This topic mostly tests the use of the conjugative adverb 'however'. For more reference visit <https://web.sonoma.edu/users/f/farahman/subpages/utilities/however.pdf>

A. area, the number of which will however - The adverb 'however', when interrupting a clause with the adverb however, use a comma before and after the adverb --, however,

B. area; the size of the population, however, will-- correctly done in this choice.

C. area, however the number of wolves will -- When you are writing a compound sentence, then use a semicolon before however- and a comma after --- area; however,

D. area; the number of which will, however, -- the clause after the semi-colon is not an IC. The number of which is equal to which.

E. area, when the size of the population will, however, --- When cannot be used to refer to a place

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Re: Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 23:34

A. area, the number of which will however - Use of Comma to join two Independent clauses is incorrect. Moreover use of "The number" to modify POPULATION is incorrect
B. area; the size of the population, however, will - Correct since two Independent clauses are joined by semicolon
C. area, however the number of wolves will - Semi colon should be used before HOWEVER
D. area; the number of which will, however, - Use of "The number" to modify POPULATION is incorrect
E. area, when the size of the population will, however, - Why do we need to use WHEN

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

General Discussion
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jul 2017, 09:17
Hi Experts sayantanc2k GMATNinja
I got down to B and D based on sentence structure. (Coma+FANBOYS absent in remaining options for joining two independent clauses)

I think which in (D) correctly refers to wolf population. On which basis can one eliminate D?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Originally posted by adkikani on 01 Jul 2017, 05:15.
Last edited by adkikani on 18 Jul 2017, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 02:50

A. area, the number of which will however
--> which can not stand for wolf because wolf is singular and plays the role of an adjective.
B. area; the size of the population, however, will
C. area, however the number of wolves will
D. area; the number of which will, however,
--> which can not stand for wolf because wolf is singular and plays the role of an adjective.
E. area, when the size of the population will, however,

Hi mikemcgarry :-D

I would to to ask if the phrase the number of wolf is correct? Is it mandatory to use plural form after the number of?

Many thanks for you great explanation!

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 05:10
The antecedent to which is wolf population, so a, d is out.

E is out because of when, which refers to time

C is out because it lacks a comma after however, changing it the meaning.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 06:46
A. number of which ....which is wrongly used here
B. ; is used as there are two Independent clause. size is correctly used for population
C.
D. which is incorrectly used here
E. awkward, when the size ..changes the meaning...the sentence doesn't make any sense
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 06:42
leanhdung wrote:

Hi mikemcgarry :-D

I would to to ask if the phrase the number of wolf is correct? Is it mandatory to use plural form after the number of?

Many thanks for you great explanation!

Yes, it is mandatory to use plural - "the number of wolf" is wrong because there are more than one wolves.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 14:23

So the reason for eliminating C is 1) the two independent clause joined by ',' and 2) usage of however. Correct?

I see the usage of 'The number of wolves' is correct in C and that's why I picked it ignoring the above two reasons to eliminate it.

:-) Non-Allergic To Kudos :-)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 19:27
seed wrote:

So the reason for eliminating C is 1) the two independent clause joined by ',' and 2) usage of however. Correct?

I see the usage of 'The number of wolves' is correct in C and that's why I picked it ignoring the above two reasons to eliminate it.

seed,

You are correct. In C, "the number of wolves" is totally fine.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2018, 21:25

A. area, the number of which will however : 'which' incorrectly refers to area
B. area; the size of the population, however, will : Right. We can keep this one. The statement after the semicolon is independent and there is no incorrect reference of 'which' in this one.
C. area, however the number of wolves will : sounds incorrect. There should be a semicolon before however. Also, since the original statement talks about the population, it is better to refer to the wolf population after the punctuation , rather than the number of wolves. (though this would only be a preference , not a point of elimination)
D. area; the number of which will, however, : 'which' incorrectly refers to area
E. area, when the size of the population will, however, : Looks like the officials will take over the job only when the size of the population is determined by the prey in that area.

Answer : B

Originally posted by Rid21sa on 01 Apr 2018, 21:20.
Last edited by Rid21sa on 01 Apr 2018, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 21:24
adkikani wrote:
I got down to B and D based on sentence structure. (Coma+FANBOYS absent in remaining options for joining two independent clauses)

I think which in (D) correctly refers to wolf population. On which basis can one eliminate D?

"Which" always refers to the noun immediately preceding it. In the case of 'D', it refers to "area" and not the wolf population, hence you can eliminate this.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 13:21
adkikani wrote:

Hello Arpit/adkikani,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

In Choice D, which CANNOT refer to the wolf population because then Choice D will have the phrase the number of the wolf population.

This expression is incorrect the population cannot have any number. Choice A has the same error.

We can say either the size of the wolf population or the number of wolves.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 21:47
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 750

We can't say "the number of population". Correct phrase is "the size of population".

Also, we need a comma to separate "however" from rest of the sentence

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 22:21
egmat wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Hello Arpit/adkikani,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

In Choice D, which CANNOT refer to the wolf population because then Choice D will have the phrase the number of the wolf population.

This expression is incorrect the population cannot have any number. Choice A has the same error.

We can say either the size of the wolf population or the number of wolves.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Ma'am , I think ' however ' is a conjunction, in that case option C is correct. we don't need semicolon but comma will suffice. Am I correct? Please clarify.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: LBS '21
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V33
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 11:27
I honestly think this question needs some more crisp explanation . Here is my attempt to explain it :

Note that in this sentence what the author intends to say that the wildlife officials are planning to take up a project to increase the wolf population however we do not know if the wolf population will actually increase / not as it will depend upon the no of prey . So in the second half of the sentence he is expressing a doubt or a contrast and in this case we will use However for contrast .

When when used to express contrast b/w 2 independent clauses is preceded with a semicolon ,is followed by a comma and an independent clause .

Note that however has 2 usage . However can be used to express contrast b/w 2 sentences or it maybe used to mean as "whatever"

1)However you travel to NYC during morning rush hour, you will still face some traffic - Here However means in whichever way and is not used to express contact

Make sure that if you are using it to express contrastis preceded with a semicolon ,is followed by a comma and an independent clause . A run on with however may express the wrong intended meaning

A. area, the number of which will however - Which has no antecedent . The number of which would refer to population (Uncountable ) or the wolf which is used to modify population
B. area; the size of the population, however, will- correct usage
C. area, however the number of wolves will - this is a run on sentence . However could be used in the whatever sensical meaning . Leads to ambiguity
D. area; the number of which will, however,- Same as A
E. area, when the size of the population will, however, - Illogical . It incorrectly says that the size of population will be dictated by no of preys when officials take the the job
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 15:46
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question, and find a quick way to narrow down the options so we can come to the correct answer! To begin, here is the original question, with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over each option, it's clear that there are a lot of differences between each one. Here are the two major differences that jumped out at me as easy ways to knock off 2-3 answers at a time:

1. Proper punctuation with the word "however"
2. Modifier-antecedent agreement (using "the number of which" / "the size of the population" / "the number of wolves")

Since punctuation is often an easy place to start, let's tackle #1 on our list: using proper punctuation with the word "however." We commonly use this word in one of 3 ways:

However as an interjection = must use commas on both sides, and typically comes after the subject of a sentence/clause.
The new teacher, however, is lenient about using cell phones during class.

However at beginning of sentence = put a comma after the word however.
I don't mind that you wear shoes in the house. However, your sneakers scuffed my newly installed wood floors!

However as a conjunctive adverb = semicolon goes before it, and comma goes after it / both clauses are independent
She was a great piano player; however, she ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome a few years ago and had to quit.

Now that we know more about how to punctuate the word "however" correctly, let's see how each option stacks up:

A. area, the number of which will however --> WRONG
(This is an example of using "however" as an interjection. Therefore, it needs commas on both sides)

B. area; the size of the population, however, will --> OK

C. area, however the number of wolves will --> WRONG
(This is an example of using "however" as a conjunctive adverb. It must have a semicolon before and a comma after the word!)

D. area; the number of which will, however, --> OK

E. area, when the size of the population will, however, --> OK

We can eliminate options A & C because of punctuation errors.

Now that we're left with options B, D, and E, let's look more closely at any modifier-antecedent agreement issues:

This is CORRECT because it is clear that the size of the wolf population is dictated by how many prey are around. The punctuation also makes it clear these are two independent clauses being paired up because they tackle a similar topic.

This is INCORRECT because the phrase "the number of which" sounds like it's referring to what's directly before it - the area. Earlier in the sentence, it says that the wildlife officials are increasing the wolf population in an already designated area, so we know the size of the area isn't changing! This sentence is wrong because it changes the meaning!

This is INCORRECT because it changes the meaning of the original sentence! By saying "when," this sentence now states that the wildlife officials will only increase the population WHEN something happens? It doesn't work to say that here - they are increasing the population, and it will be based on the amount of prey available. They are not waiting for the wolf population to do anything BEFORE they take action, so this doesn't really make sense.

There you go - option B is the correct answer! It uses proper punctuation, and it doesn't distort the original meaning!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 11:51
the number of which will however ultimately be dictated by the number of prey in the area.
Can this be called a noun-noun modifier for the above sc problem
Orion Director of Academics
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 11:56
I would designate this more as an error in meaning surrounding the modifier. Remember that modifiers using words like "which" are required to modify the item that they are next to. In this case, that means that the modifier is modifying the word "area" rather than "wolves". That isn't logical, since the area isn't affected by the number of prey in the area.

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 23:50
Hi,

Irrespective of the meaning of sentence, is the use of when correct in option E.
I considered that when can refer to "Next Month".
I just want clarify whether "when" should always be immediately preceded by the noun to which it refer or it can come after clause Eg-" Next month,..clause..., when...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the &nbs [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 23:50

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap