It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 15:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No social work, but do I have chance for top-tier schools?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 30

No social work, but do I have chance for top-tier schools? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 08:41
I do not have any experience of social work. My family background is not that well and I have never had chance (or even thought) to participate in social works. Besides, our country is not developed country so that we try to earn to survive and do not have extra time for social works. Do I have chance for top-tier schools?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 30

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: No social work, but do I have chance for top-tier schools? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 10:06
uHCWB,
Community volunteering is not always an essential requirement, especially if you have good leadership in your career or in an extracurricular hobby, if your career has a social impact component, and/or if you have a compelling personal/family story that will enable the schools to empathize with your story or connect with you as a person. It really depends on the strength and distinctiveness of your overall profile.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.admitify.com/testimonials

uHCWB wrote:
I do not have any experience of social work. My family background is not that well and I have never had chance (or even thought) to participate in social works. Besides, our country is not developed country so that we try to earn to survive and do not have extra time for social works. Do I have chance for top-tier schools?

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 16:35
Not absolutely necessary but it can be helpful especially if you are a young candidate with limited formal leadership experience through work. Schools like well rounded candidates so you will just need to show that skill elsewhere in your application

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 23:14
uHCWB wrote:

Hi uHCWB,
I completely understand your position. When you grow up in a developing nation, all the focus is on studying and thereafter finding a job that makes money. However, the bitter truth about MBA Schools is that they want candidates who excel in all aspects of life : professional, personal, social, etc. As mentioned in the above posts you have to have one element that can impress the adcom and cover the missing social work aspect. If not, it is never too late to get involved in social work. Good Luck !

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 31

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 32

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
uHCWB wrote:

Hi uHCWB, schools will usually look at people in the context of your environment. So if few people from your same background have fully developed community leadership due to economic issues, then this will be taken into consideration. That being said, schools are going to be looking for evidence of leadership somewhere- in work or community etc so perhaps you can seek additional work leadership opportunities even if just for community building and philanthropy through work. Also if you have stellar GPA or GMAT and work experience this can help balance out the lesser amount of community service. I would look at the top-tier title broadly and not limit myself to just the top 10. There are many excellent programs outside this band and you may be more successful overall if you adopt that broader approach.

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 32

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 69

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 06:00
I really agree with Paul 100% particularly where he mentions that you want to develop a story that allows them to empathize with you and connect with you on an emotional level. That's extremely important in order for you to be memorable.

The objective here is for you to be well-rounded and also for them to really get a flavor for who you are as a person. So I would think about how you contribute and a very broad way. It might not necessarily be the Red Cross but maybe you have contributed in some other way like you have led a special interest group or you have some type of hobby any type of leadership really that would be outside of work.

What do you have a passion for outside of work? That's the question you want to answer.

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 69

Re: No social work, but do I have chance for top-tier schools?   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2017, 06:00