GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 23:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (00:57) correct 51% (00:56) wrong based on 55 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had successfully recorded
subatomic particles called "neutrinos" traveling faster than light, had physicists worldwide
thinking carefully that time travel was possible

A. had physicists worldwide thinking carefully that time travel was possible
B. did physicists worldwide thought carefully that time travel was possible
c. had physicists worldwide thinking carefully about the possibility of time travel
D. did physicists worldwide think carefully about the possibility of time travel
E. had physicists worldwide carefully thought about the possibility of time travel

Source: Experts Global
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: 311 Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 23:48
I think the answer could be E because of the past perfect nature of the statement all verbs in the statement have to be in past tense. So Most of the options go away. However ‘ thought about the possibility of time travel’ in E seems wordier . Where as B has concise version of it however B doesn’t have past perfect tense format (‘had’) . So answer could be E. please advise

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Re: Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 03:28
I think it is D.
Underlined Phrase after comma is a question and the phrase before comma can easily answer that question with correctly matched tenses and the meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 05:26
I'm going with D)

Past perfect in A) C) E) is wrong, because it suggets that the thinking happened prior to the announcement/recording of the neutrinos, but it should be the other way around.
In E) the placement of the adverb 'carefully' is incorrect. Should be think carefully.

btw: Isn't there a 'that' missing in the sentence?
"...announced last week that they had successfully recorded..."
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 05:53
IMO D.

The announcement happened before. Actually the verb " announced " should be in past perfect but the sentence explicitly states " last week "..so past perfect is optional..

Now according to meaning the statement implies that not until the announcement the physicists though about X carefully..
The problem with E is- " had____thought " ... Represents past perfect implying the thinking happened earlier with respect to Announcement... So E is wrong..

D removes the verb tense issue and simply states it in simple past tense .

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 08:25
pushpitkc wrote:
Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had successfully recorded subatomic particles called "neutrinos" traveling faster than light, had physicists worldwide thinking carefully that time travel was possible.

A. had physicists worldwide thinking carefully that time travel was possible
B. did physicists worldwide thought carefully that time travel was possible
c. had physicists worldwide thinking carefully about the possibility of time travel
D. did physicists worldwide think carefully about the possibility of time travel
E. had physicists worldwide carefully thought about the possibility of time travel

Source: Experts Global

Must be (D) for the highlighted errors in other options...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 15:44
I would like to go with Option:E as the thought refers back before the "announcement".
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 06:07
explanation needed. why D is correct and relationship of DID's with sentence
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
saarthakkhanna04 wrote:
explanation needed. why D is correct and relationship of DID's with sentence

Hi saarthakkhanna04,

check out my explanation above :)
There is also a simular question with great explanations that might help you understand.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/not-until-ha ... 05216.html
Re: Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2018, 10:00

Not until a group of European scientists announced last week they had

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap